Forensics Certification

WebWideJoshWebWideJosh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Any plans to expand forums to include forensics certifications.

Or perhaps I'm missing them... Well, I did try a search for "ACE" and "AccessData" and didn't see any results.

Would anyone suggest another place to discuss those on a general basis? This one is my next target.

Comments

• mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol do you not have enough certs already ;)
  • WebWideJoshWebWideJosh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    lol do you not have enough certs already ;)

Too many start with C.

I fell in love with the troubleshooting, unfortunately now people expect me to architect and design stuff too.

I suspect I may like being told what's wrong so I can find out how it happened, and who did what when. ;)
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent. That's the path I would like to go down in the future, hence the security path.
    The 'EC-Council CEH and CHFI' section covers forensics.

All the best with the studies :)
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the general security forum encompasses forensics. I'm considering the SANS forensics course right now actually.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, forensics rarely comes up, so it really doesn't make sense to have a dedicated forum for it. You might want to check out something like Ethical Hacker; there are a few guys who dabble in forensics over there. Here's a recent thread: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,5395.msg27962/topicseen,1/

Here's a new forensics blog that I came across the other day. Looks like it will have some good content coming out, and there's a few links to other blogs/websites: An Eye on Forensics

Any interest in the Encase stuff?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Forensics forums would be a nice addition. Probably not one for each, but at least 1 catch all would be great.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    The general Security Certifications forum isn't a bad place to use for discussions on forensics. I would be interested to see a new thread started that discussed and captured members experiences as they go through the various forensic tracks. I plan to start a CHFI discussion thread for v4 once I start down that track in about a month or 2... or maybe I'll post something shortly and stop slacking!

Aside from ethical hacker, I browse the Forensics Focus forums every few weeks to review the latest happenings and posts:

Computer Forensics - Digital Forensics, Computer Forensic Training, eDiscovery
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I worked in Computer Forensics for a little over a year. On the commercial side of things, the EnCE is a pretty big one. It's proprietary to Guidance Software though, so it doesn't help much for other things like FTK. There are other certifications on the law enforcement side of things as well. I personally wouldn't recommend going into Computer Forensics. The commercial side is extremely boring and the law enforcement side is like 99% child Pr0n cases. When I did CF, it mostly consisted of collecting data, processing it with EnCase and sending the processed data to the clients. There was very little actual Computer Forensics to do. Sometimes I felt more like a data processor than anything. Plus, Computer Forensics is a pretty niche market in IT, so finding jobs is harder and relocating becomes pretty much a necessity. I'm much happier now that I'm working in mainstream IT again. At least I can apply some of what I learned in Computer Forensics to doing IT Security in the future.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took the Global Knowledge CHFI course a few years ago (never bothered to get certified for it though). Interesting stuff with the various tools and concepts and there was emphasis on chain of custody and the idea of being able to defend your methodology in court. It's a basic intro to forensics and you just blast through tools in the labs. If you're already familiar with steganography, alternate data streams, file systems, etc., you probably won't gain too much from the course. Some of these skills can be applicable to IT work, especially if you're trying to recover your CEO's files from a crashed drive that accidentally got put into the washing machine after the goat chewed on it and the TSA folks at the airport dropped it a few times. Well, maybe not exactly that scenario, but you get the idea.

I'd guess that the SANS forensics course would be better overall.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/