network+ exam in 5 days... nervous

qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
I been doing the tests in this book I have, "Network+, Guide to Networks" by Tamara Dean. I've basic read the whole book, I'm going through a smaller book now with 200 pages. Anyways, the book by Tamara Dean has a ton of test prep questions.

I'm scoring minimum 70s, maximum 83 % each time I do the test.
The book is a comprehensive book. The tests seem to say I'm doing bad at Network Implementation and Support. Anyone know how possible accurate these questions are compared to the CompTIA exams, some of the questions I don't think are even right to ask.

Anyways, I'm pretty nervous. This sucks!
World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.

Comments

• shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Comptia has a pool of questions they use. Don't just stick to one type of source for review. Use as many different practice questions that you can. This site has great Net + practice question as well as IMO tech notes that WILL help you pass the exam.

You should read the sections you are having trouble in over again. Also use the tech notes from this site. Try to get your score to around 90 % if you can. The most important thing to remember is "Don't sweat it"!! The worst thing you can do is go into a testing center freaking out. Just relax and you should be fine. If, for some reason, you don't feel confident enough change your date on your exam for a couple of weeks later.

Good luck to you!!
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    I bought the voucher that expires on Thursday. icon_sad.gif

Otherwise, I planned to do the test in the month of May.
    It's tough since I had all college exams last week, but yeah, it's just wierd. I do 70ish on the Tamara Dean questions, but the questions I got from the getcertify4less.com website, I do pretty good.

Anyways, I definitally will go through the tech exam notes.
  • 12mcken12mcken Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    spfdz wrote:
    I bought the voucher that expires on Thursday. icon_sad.gif

Otherwise, I planned to do the test in the month of May.
    It's tough since I had all college exams last week, but yeah, it's just wierd. I do 70ish on the Tamara Dean questions, but the questions I got from the getcertify4less.com website, I do pretty good.

Anyways, I definitally will go through the tech exam notes.

Where did you purchase the voucher from?
    getcertify4less.com is where I bought the voucher from.

I was so messed up when I bought it, I had tons of things going through my head, had major assignments, and exams the following week. Which led to me reading the expiry date wrong!
  • katman96katman96 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Having just taken the test believe me, dont get yourself all worked up about it. The Special Edition Tech Prep from this website has exams that are extremely close to the actual test that I took.

If you go through the Test Prep and understand it, take all the practice tests and the exams that are contained in that document, believe me you will pass.
    katman96 wrote:
    Having just taken the test believe me, dont get yourself all worked up about it. The Special Edition Tech Prep from this website has exams that are extremely close to the actual test that I took.

If you go through the Test Prep and understand it, take all the practice tests and the exams that are contained in that document, believe me you will pass.

Thanks, I'll definitally go through that. I have about three chapters left in ths second network+ book I'm reading.

I'll let everyone know how I did.
  • Doomsday JDoomsday J Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You'll do fine. Just relax. :)

Good Luck!

J
    If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.
  • princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    best of luck, i have the feeling that you will pass. just stop been nervous and get yourself refreshed b4 the D-day. Also it will be good to fortify yourself with special edition of the technote on this site.
    Knowledge is life
    best of luck, i have the feeling that you will pass. just stop been nervous and get yourself refreshed b4 the D-day. Also it will be good to fortify yourself with special edition of the technote on this site.

Yeah I just grabbed that. I started studying after my last post.

Here's my results so far for the first four chapters I did. Only did the questions once so I didn't repeat any of them yet and remembered answers.

01. Media&Topologies: 20/25
    02. Network Components 12/15
    03. Wan Technology 9/10
    04. OSI Model 23/24

Hopefully will be able to get pretty far by the time i call it quits today.
    The hardest part for me will probably be about software, I usually mess up around where they ask, what is needed for UNIX and *NOS* to work etc.. also the subnetting questions, can't get the addressing down, but I can figure out how much hosts/subnets are used.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Those are pretty good results, though I suggest you continue until you get 95-100% on all sections.
    also the subnetting questions, can't get the addressing down, but I can figure out how much hosts/subnets are used.
    Well, you don't need to know that for the Network+ exam. Subnetting (as in calculating nr of hosts, subnets, broadcast and network address, etc etc) is not a topic in the current Network+ exam. You only need to know the main classful subnets and their corresponding IP ranges etc. (etc. in this case could be how many host you can have in a class A or Class B, but not how many host you can have in a 'subnetted' class A).

In other words you will need to be able to answer a question basically like this:

1. What is wrong with the following IP configuration of a client?

IP address: 192.168.1.22
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS servers: 172.16.200.1, 172.16.200.2
    Default gateway: 172.16.200.254

A. IP address does not match the DNS servers
    B. IP address does not match the Subnet mask
    C. IP address does not match the default gateway address
    D. Subnet mask does not match the DNS servers

or

2. What is wrong with the following IP configuration of a client?

IP address: 172.16.10.10
    Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
    DNS servers: 172.16.200.1, 172.16.200.2
    Default gateway: 172.16.10.254

A. IP address does not match the DNS servers
    B. IP address does not match the Subnet mask
    C. IP address does not match the default gateway address
    D. Subnet mask does not match the DNS servers

3. You need to design an IP addressing scheme for a company with 150 clients, 8 servers, and 12 network printers. Which of the following IP network addresses should you use?

A. 192.168.0.0
    B. 172.16.0.0
    C. 172.16.18.0
    D. 10.0.0.0

or

Which of the following IP subnet masks should you use?

a. 255.0.0.0
    b. 255.255.0.0
    c. 255.255.255.0
    d. 255.255.255.255

or even:
    a. Class A
    b. Class B
    c. Class C
    d. Class D
    e. Class E

Good luck!

(EDIT: these are of course simplified examples, though it will require the same knowledge and logic to answer the actual exam questions, even if they contain a network diagram.)
    Are these correct?

1. D
    2. B
    3. A (Class C)

By the way, I just finished going through your technotes special edition. I'm gonna go over all the test prep questions and do some of the online quizes today. Two days left before my exam. My exam is scheduled for 7:15PM do you recommend any studying before? It's later in the evening so I'm most likely in passive mode so, what do you guys recommend.
    spfdz wrote:
    Are these correct?

1. D
    2. B
    3. A (Class C)
    2 and 3 are correct. 1 not however. Note that the default gateway is always in the same IP network/subnet as the client's own IP. The default gateway is the exit point to other networks/subnets, so it must be in the local network (=the same IP network/subnet/range).

In this case, the client has the IP address 192.168.1.22 and the a correctly corresponding subnet mask 255.255.255.0. When this client needs to communicate with a host in another IP subnet/network, it needs to be routed to that network. The default gateway is the address to which the client sends all traffic that has a destination outside the local network, i.o.w. the default gateway is usually a router that routes the traffic to the destination network. Hence, that default gateway must be in the same local network as the client. (all assuming that you did not configure manual routes in the local routing table of the client of course.)

Answer D. Subnet mask does not match the DNS servers, is incorrect because the subnet mask is not relevant to the DNS server. A subnet mask has only local significance. The DNS servers can be on a different IP network, as long as there is a router/default gateway that can route DNS requests to the remote network in which the DNS server resides.

I hope this helps, if not feel free to ask further.
    spfdz wrote:
    By the way, I just finished going through your technotes special edition. I'm gonna go over all the test prep questions and do some of the online quizes today. Two days left before my exam. My exam is scheduled for 7:15PM do you recommend any studying before? It's later in the evening so I'm most likely in passive mode so, what do you guys recommend.
    Not sure. I wouldn't recommend studying a couple of hours before it if it was in the morning, if I got the whole day off I'd probably couldn't refrain myself from going over some stuff. ;)
    Webmaster wrote:
    so it must be in the local network (=the same IP network/subnet/range).

I never really thought of that. It makes total sense. Your logic thinking > mine icon_wink.gif

Anyways, I just did the 60 online questions, there was one regarding broadcast storms, it was a multiple answer question. I selected Routers/Bridges/VLANS as the answer.

It said it was wrong, only Routers/VLANS seperate broadcast storms.
    Any help on that?

I scored 93.3 on the online exam by the way, the last time I did about 30 of them last week, so I didn't memorize the answers heh. Kudos for me :P
    spfdz wrote:
    Anyways, I just did the 60 online questions, there was one regarding broadcast storms, it was a multiple answer question. I selected Routers/Bridges/VLANS as the answer.

It said it was wrong, only Routers/VLANS seperate broadcast storms.
    Any help on that?

Check out the bridges section here, including the diagram:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/networkcomponents.shtml

Here's another way of putting it: What goes over the network media (cables) are electrical signals. When you connect too many devices to the same cable and they all start talking to each other, they may end up talking at the same time, which means multiple electrical pulses enter the cable at exactly the same time, hence they colide (like mixing beer and wine in one straw, no good). The fact that the signals 'can' colide means that they are on the same colission domain. A bridge is litterally a bridge between colission domains, it allows you to create large networks with more hosts (note that bridge are not used that often anymore), and to optimize performance in a network by segmenting it in smaller colission domains (so more network devices can talk more, send more traffic, with a smaller chance of talking at the same time as another network devices, hence less colission, is in turn better performance. Broadcasts from one end of the bridge are treated the same way as other frames, they cross the bridge.

Apart from that, the question is tricky because VLANs is also a correct answer. Segmenting networks into separate VLANs creates a separate broadcast domain. Which is logical, cause it's basically the same thing as cutting up a network into two physical LANs/networks. But to allow actual communication (using TCP/IP for example, a layer 3 protocol) between the two LANs or Virtual LANs, or 'broadcast domains', you'd still need a router.
    I scored 93.3 on the online exam by the way, the last time I did about 30 of them last week, so I didn't memorize the answers heh.
    Not bad at all indeed, I'm sure you'll do fine if you get the same score for the questions in the Special Edition. Though memorizing the questions will make the score less accurate/trustworthy, if you know 'why' the answers are the correct answers it's all good. ;)
  • determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Just throwing in my 2 cents. When I studied for the Network+ I read one book and reviewed all the topics on this site. I have to say that it was a big plus and I think without the studyguides from techexams.net I wouldn't have passed it. That's when I first registered for this site.

Good Luck with the test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well..........
    I just got back from my network+ test. I passed with 833/900 score.

Just wanna say thanks to everyone who supported me through my omg 5 day drama. Tech notes helped out greatly, I think I'm heading for security+ next.

I can finally change my certification to something :p
  • msrobinmsrobin Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Way to go congratulations! icon_lol.gif
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
  • determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Congratulation!!!!!!!! Welcome to the club!!!!!!!!!1
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    nice work, always nice to get that first one under your belt :)

nice score too, i think it's the same score i got...
    Dustin Leefers
  • my_id_0308my_id_0308 Member Posts: 171
    congrats...i am having my exam this friday....
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    CONGRATULATIONS...well done!

http://spaces.msn.com/members/hturtlegirl73/
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!