working as a contractor

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I've been selected as a contractor helping a local company for a six month project. I've never worked as a contractor but I feel like I should just keep my head down and mouth shut and do the work.

I've always worked as a full time employee should I do or act any differentially while doing this contract gig? I know that I'm there for a specific purpose and plan on to fulfill my role (prepping software for a win 7 launch) and I plan to work hard but anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wweboy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've been selected as a contractor helping a local company for a six month project. I've never worked as a contractor but I feel like I should just keep my head down and mouth shut and do the work.

I've always worked as a full time employee should I do or act any differentially while doing this contract gig? I know that I'm there for a specific purpose and plan on to fulfill my role (prepping software for a win 7 launch) and I plan to work hard but anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

I found these 3 articles from dice TV.. they might help…
    DiceTV: Do You Really Want them to Know Why You Like Jell-O?
    Dice News Update: Audit Alert for Contractors
    DiceTV: How to Keep a Contractor's Books in Order
    Good luck at your new job! I hope this helps.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Depends entirely on how the project manager thinks of contractors. I've worked with some where the contractors were seen as dumb grunts and not as good as the "real" employees, but I've also worked with some where the PM viewed the contractors are a serious asset and a great body of collective knowledge.

Get to know the PM or the supervisor and that will clue you in about whether to keep your head down or whether to really shine.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not really. Something new to keep in mind, is that you don't work for this company. While it is natural to build a bond with your new coworker, they work for a different company. Spilling secrets can become very easy.

Things will be a little more challenging for you since you almost have 2 bosses. Although your mother company should pretty much step back and only be involved when it comes to signing paychecks. They are going to be the person you need to go to for worker comp, insurance, ect. Time off may or may not need to be run by them.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off congrats on the new job.
    I think you should go in and do the best you can. These people may be impressed enough to want to keep you around or you may end up seeking full time from them sometime down the road.

Networking Student..that jello one was pretty funny.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice, I'm going though an agency so no need to worry about the things mentioned in the DiceTV videos. I'm sure I won't be hired on as the company itself only have 10 full time perm IT people and made a point that they use a lot of contractors to get jobs done.

More power to 'em just excited to be working for atleast the next six months or so and still look for twork. THat will be the toug hone I mean what if a really good job comes around? I don't want to just up and leave during a project that isn't fair to the people I"m workign for.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Would you hurt your own career if in a month you landed a permanent job that does exactly what you want just to fulfill a 6 month contract? Will they be upset that you left before then? Probably. But it happens in the life of contract work and you have to look out for what is best for you and your career. I know that 6 months from now you'd be kicking yourself should you get an offer and turn it down because you want to complete the project.