Taking Net+ Tomorrow (PASSED!)

mrcspl571mrcspl571 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I'm signed up to take the N10-004 tomorrow at 10AM at a local Pearson VUE testing center. I've read Todd Lammle's Sybex book twice I think. I've taken all the practice exams and chapter exams from the Sybex book with a ~90% score and I've nailed the flash cards. I've also watched portions of the CBT Nuggets Net+ videos with Michael Shannon.

Anyone who's used similar resources, can you give me a ballpark idea as to how ready I should be for the test? Not that it matters much now, I'm just having some pre-test jitters since this is my first cert!

Also, can someone clarify ST vs SC connectors for me in terms of which is used for multimode fiber and which is used for single mode? My Cisco 1 textbook says that ST is typically used for MMF while SC is SMF, but other sources seem to suggest that both connectors can generally be used with either MMF or SMF. Thanks!

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To my knowledge, the connectors don't mean much about the single mode of multi mode. Just make sure you know what each looks like.

Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree, though it's been a little while. I remember I looked at them more in how they're attached , twist on vice just pushed on hint twist starts with t.
    Good luck on your test, I'm sure you'll do fine.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should be fine. Lots of people have used the Sybex book and seem to get pretty good scores. I used a different book and took the exam today (my first as well) and passed with an 835. I got around 90% on practice exams as well ( from totalsem.com - I used the Meyers All-in-one book).

From what I know, I think either end can be used. I didn't have any questions about either that I remember, but from practice exams I've seen questions about distances each works with (MMF is the shorter distances generally on the 850nm wavelength, SMF are typically longer distances with longer wavelengths).

However, a couple of the protocols do require a certain connector (1000BaseSX uses SC, for example. It's MMF)

Meyers says "ST for stick-and-twist, SC for stick-and-click". That's how I remember them.
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
    Meyers says "ST for stick-and-twist, SC for stick-and-click". That's how I remember them.

Thats good, I never heard that one before. I never had a problem though. Just remembering Square Connector made it fairly obvious for me.
  • mrcspl571mrcspl571 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I know what the connectors look like and how they work. I guess I'm just stressing over minutia at this point, but that's good right? lol

Thanks for the info and encouragement all. I'll report back tomorrow, hopefully with good results. :)
  • mrcspl571mrcspl571 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    864, woot. icon_cool.gif

I officially highly recommend the Sybex book. It was more than enough to do well on the exam.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mrcspl571 wrote: »
    864, woot. icon_cool.gif

I officially highly recommend the Sybex book. It was more than enough to do well on the exam.
    Great score! Congrats
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Congrats on the pass!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • David D.David D. Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just took Network+ today 5-17-2010 passed it. I am glad that test is over. I took it down here at CED Solutions in Atlanta. I have been here since the 7th and now taking the Security+
    Congrats to both of you on the pass.
  • getitngogetitngo Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats David D. & mrcspl571. I just started studying for this exam and hope to take it in a few weeks.
    In Progress:
    Degree in Engineering