Would getting my own Background Check benefit me?

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I recently received an email from one of the several online job search providers (Can I mention name here Tech Careers) and they recommend getting my own background check. Would it be beneficial to do this? The cost is $24.95 and includes everything criminal, employment, adress checks, etc.
I guess my main concern is would this benefit me in getting my resume looked at and getting an interview? Wouldn't most employers overlook this as they do their own background check with their own "trusted" service. While I'm on that point does anyone know, by reputation, of this company? Has anyone here had that company do their companies background checks?
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    earweed wrote: »
    I recently received an email from one of the several online job search providers (Can I mention name here Tech Careers) and they recommend getting my own background check. Would it be beneficial to do this? The cost is $24.95 and includes everything criminal, employment, adress checks, etc.
    I guess my main concern is would this benefit me in getting my resume looked at and getting an interview? Wouldn't most employers overlook this as they do their own background check with their own "trusted" service. While I'm on that point does anyone know, by reputation, of this company? Has anyone here had that company do their companies background checks?

I'll let some others weigh in here...but To My KNOWLEDGE...YES most employeers will do their own search. Save your $$ and protect your ID.

Dynamik; JD and some others I recall commenting in the past on this topic!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've never heard of anyone doing that and never heard of that company. It sounds like an attempt at fraud and/or identity theft.

As to whether it would be useful, I think it would be completely useless. Any employer that does background checks has to follow established procedures which includes what service to use for the background check. Even if a prospective employer did use that company (assuming it's legitimate) for background checks, they probably will have to do another one anyway since they need one that is up to date.

Also, if the background check really costs only $25, it would be such a small part of the hiring process that it would be no benefit for a company to have job candidates pay for it.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    I've always been curious about what Employers actually "see" when they do a background check on me, however I'm not so sure this is equivalent to what they may or may not do.

After working at my current job for 9 months, HR questioned me about some dates I has on my resume. It was for a job I held 10 years ago.. I said I started on Jan 1, but in reality it was Jan 7. (friggen unbelievable right?) I had to bring in my old tax forms to prove I actually worked there.

Something tells me the $24.95 one isnt the same.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have never heard of a company ever requiring you to get your background check. Any company worth their salt will be willing to pay to have a background done on you. This sounds like laziness/cheapness (bad sign) or worse an attempt at identity theft.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd do one from time to time just to make sure things are accurate. If you have something minor, you can sometimes get that record expunged or sealed, especially if you were a first time offender. That really shouldn't have to be done often as it should rarely change without you being obviously involved. I'm sure there are mix-ups for people with identical names and things like that. You should get a credit report at least annually. A lot of employers look at that as well.

I'm not familiar with that company, so I can't steer you one way or another. Just do your research. Find out who your current/previous employer uses/used.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't worry about it. The only benefit I see of checking it yourself is just to see what they find. Then you can either try and dispute something if for some reason it shouldn't be on there, or more people probably just use that so they know how much detail to give to give out. (Why own up to it if they're not going to find it).

If your background is clear other than a speeding ticket or something, don't worry about it. I disclosed two tickets which they didn't find out about. But they aren't going to hold that kind of stuff against you. In fact most things they won't hold against you as long as you own up to it ahead of time.

My advice would be to always request a copy. That way if they do find something you can verify it then. You might miss out on one job, but you are going to save $25 every couple years. The chances of something popping up that disqualifies you that shouldn't even be on there is extremely low. And even if it did happen, maybe the company will work with it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with that company, so I can't steer you one way or another. Just do your research. Find out who your current/previous employer uses/used.
    I think if an employer does a background check on you they have to provide a copy of it on request (at least that's my experience, in California).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That sounds right. It would just be beneficial to resolve any errors in the advance of having an employer background check performed. They're not going to wait for you to get that cleared up. I've heard of people losing good jobs because of that.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think if an employer does a background check on you they have to provide a copy of it on request (at least that's my experience, in California).

I believe you are correct. When I switched from contractor to permanent I request a copy of my background check.

Same in Minnesota.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was steering away from doing it already but just wanted some others opinions..and they mostly agree with mine so win-win
    As for getting your credit report annually I have been doing this for some time, and you are entitled BY LAW to get a free credit report evry year from all 3 major agencies. I found this out after getting out of the Navy and setting up in a new place, went to get power turned on and they asked me if my name had ever been David MyLastname, turns out my sisters boyfriend had gotten hold of my SSN somehow and I had all kinds of bad stuff all over the place. They were living with my mother and were using HER address for all the credit cards, mail order catalogues, and had even had power turned on (and forcibly turned off) with the bill still due. It took over a year to get most of it straightened out and some of them just stayed on my report until they aged off being reported.
    I tried to get charges pressed but was practically laughed at for my efforts.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    As for getting your credit report annually I have been doing this for some time, and you are entitled BY LAW to get a free credit report evry year from all 3 major agencies.

And if you're smart, you can space it out and get one every 4 months.