Options

Folder redirection problems

thickSkinthickSkin Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone

I created a folder redirection for My Documents. I applied the group policy to the entire domain. I wanted to remove the folder redirection so i went to folder redirection and chose my documents. In the Policy Removal box, i selected the Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed policy setting, and then clicked OK.

I read that this option would undo folder redirection. I proceeded to remove the network share that i had created for the folder redirection. When i log on as one of the users in the domain i keep getting this error:

Errors occured while windows was synchronizing your data.

offline files [URL="file://\\server01\UserData"]\\server01\UserData[/URL] on server01: Unable to connect to [URL="file://server01/UserData"]\\server01\UserData[/URL] The network name cannot be found.

It keeps point to the network share that i had created for the folder redirection. I don't know why this is so since i undoed folder redirection for the domain.

I am new to all this i really don't know what i did wrong. How do is stop these users from connecting to this deleted network share.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you do a gpupdate?
    I may be confused on what exactly you're doing.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    I had recently upgraded a network from server 2003 to 2008. I used this option as well in group policy only I specified a new network location for the files. To this day I still get synchronization of offline files errors. It seems as though the offline file synchronization program is a separate bit of code that does not communicate with group policy changes that you make. Maybe someone knows a workaround for these offline files errors?

(Assuming that too is your issue
    offline files [URL="file://\\server01\UserData"]\\server01\UserData[/URL] on server01: Unable to connect to [URL="file://server01/UserData"]\\server01\UserData[/URL] The network name cannot be found.
    ).
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wonder if it is still trying to connect to the share. Even though nothing is being directed there, maybe windows is trying to map a drive or something. Sorry, I don't know a lot about folder redirection, but if I was having the problem that is what I would check.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    thickSkinthickSkin Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I wonder if it is still trying to connect to the share. Even though nothing is being directed there, maybe windows is trying to map a drive or something. Sorry, I don't know a lot about folder redirection, but if I was having the problem that is what I would check.

I think that is exactly what it is doing but i do not know how to correct it
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Create the share again and restart. When the computer turns on, go to cmd and run "net share" to view the shares set up on your system.

You can then delete it by adding the name of the share and the /delete switch, but I don't know if that will stop it then next time you boot.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    whutupperwhutupper Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1

check net use

try to connect to the share via [URL="file://\\ipaddress\sharename"]\\ipaddress\sharename[/URL] and/or [URL="file://\\servername.domain.etc\sharename"]\\servername.domain.etc\sharename[/URL]

worst case and this is a bit extreme, re-register dns.