QoS

FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm about to go take 642-642 (QoS). I used the following to study:

1) Cisco QoS Exam Certification Guide -- awesome book though full of errors unless you get a later printing (I bought the 11th printing!) -- read it twice, studied it for many more hours
2) Cisco QoS Quick Reference Sheets -- pretty good, I think they may be the best of the CCVP series personally
3) 2 x Cisco 2811
4) 1 x Catalyst 2950
5) 1 x Catalyst 3550

Using two different Catalysts real cements the issues of Strict/WRR scheduling configuration.

I feel a little rough on the token bucket stuff--I can get confused as to how they work when its shaping vs. policing. I understand all the concepts, just keeping it all straight is confusing.

Comments

• FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed with a score in the high-800s.

I thought the labs, simlets and drag and drop were clear/pretty straightforward. Some of the multiple choice were easy but some were really difficult/unclear. I think I missed several multiple choice but did perfect on the labs, simlets, and drag and drop.

I think I'll do CVOICE next week--I've been studying for it for for a while and just got through my third reading of the Cisco Press Self-Study guide, which like the QoS book, is excellent.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    congrats on the pass icon_smile.gif I know I found the exam easier than studying for it, if that makes sense.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass! That QoS book is a BEAST!!!!!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    FattyAcid wrote: »
    I'm about to go take 642-642 (QoS). I used the following to study:

1) Cisco QoS Exam Certification Guide -- awesome book though full of errors unless you get a later printing (I bought the 11th printing!) -- read it twice, studied it for many more hours
    2) Cisco QoS Quick Reference Sheets -- pretty good, I think they may be the best of the CCVP series personally
    3) 2 x Cisco 2811
    4) 1 x Catalyst 2950
    5) 1 x Catalyst 3550

Almost forgot!

6) CBT Nuggets -- I don't think Jeremy did as good of a job with QoS has he did with CVOICE or the old CIPT (only 1/3 or the way through the new CIPT1). The QoS videos are only a total of 7 hours and frankly he just didn't go into enough depth. I watched the CBT Nuggets first and for many topics, I came away confused on a lot of things. His explanation of ECN was also partially incorrect. A good supplement but definitely not a replacement for the book. The video on SAA/RTR was nice though totally irrelevant for the test--I was not even aware of this IOS feature. It took a few moments for me to figure out that it's since been re-branded as SLA and the commands have changed to "ip sla" from "rtr".
    I agree on the CBTs - I actually used them as a primer for the book. CBTs first -> book was easier to follow after.
    Hopefully the CIPT2 CBT series is out before you get to the test - it's a tough one to study for now since the old CIPT series is missing a ton of topics - and the book is a little tough to read.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on passing QoS!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    pitviper wrote: »
    Hopefully the CIPT2 CBT series is out before you get to the test - it's a tough one to study for now since the old CIPT series is missing a ton of topics - and the book is a little tough to read.

Yeah, I am probably going to stall on CIPT2 until the CBT comes out.

I'm going to do CVOICE (next week), CIPT1, and then TUC. TUC is where my real-world experience exists (troubleshooting voice gateways and CUCM, not designing or installing them). CIPT2 covers everything I've never used in the real-world: SRST, extension mobility, device mobility, CUCM PKI stuff, etc.

I expect CVOICE and TUC to be the easiest for me.