Options

Meeting tomorrow

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Well I am meeting with a VP tomorrow and should have finalized a position tomorrow, so for the first time in almost 6 years, I am going to wear a suit (anyone want to tie my tie for me lol). This is for a weekend job as a Network Support Tech (basically NOC work). Later on today I should find out about 2 other positions (1 in my city, 1 about 90 miles away). The first is a Network Engineer position and the Second is a backup admin. The later said they were willing to train someone up (which would be cool) but they both pay about the same amount of money. I would rather have the one in my city just because I don't think it would be good for me to move right now. Hopefully by the end of the week I will pick them both up and starting working like crazy to get the bills back in order. Stay tuned!

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck!

Might I also suggest you google how to tie a tie?
    how to tie a tie - Google Search=

I did this a few years ago and found a simple way that I liked called a half windsor. It works every time for me. I'm sure you could experiment with a few different ways and find one that you think is easy. But it will always be a pain in the @$$.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    Good luck!

Might I also suggest you google how to tie a tie?
    how to tie a tie - Google Search=

I did this a few years ago and found a simple way that I liked called a half windsor. It works every time for me. I'm sure you could experiment with a few different ways and find one that you think is easy. But it will always be a pain in the @$$.

I have a really good guide for how to tie one but for some reason doing it is just hard. I usually tie my ties once and NEVER untie them lol. I mean I know how to tie one but I am very very bad at it. I think it is because I didn't wear ties growing up and still don't.

I might have to pull out the man scarf icon_lol.gif
    man scarf - Google Search
    Good luck!icon_thumright.gif
    Thanks and congrats to you about the new job.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I worked at Walgreens for a year. The only, and I mean only good thing that came out of it is I had to tie a tie every day. I don't think I'll ever forget.

Congrats on the new job.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Well the first non weekend job called back. They went with someone with more MS experience. I am going to have to get the MCSA for real. It seems this keeps coming up and I am getting annoyed. Well now I just need to wait on the backup job. It wasn't like I wanted that position, it was more or less I wanted that title on my resume and such. And that money.... Oh well.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea, the MCSA will open some doors plus the ccna that you have. Just the CCNA without exp does not help
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    impelse wrote: »
    Yea, the MCSA will open some doors plus the ccna that you have. Just the CCNA without exp does not help

Well I am not sure anymore. I have some actual cisco networking experience but apparently it doesn't mean ****.

Well I got another no from the backup job. apparently when the recruiter said, they would be willing to train someone what he actually meant was that they need someone to hit the ground running right away icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh and my old suit is messed up and I could not find an affordable suit today so I will probably get a no tomorrow because of a stupid piece of fabric. FML...Look out army here I come.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    The half-windsor is one of the easiest knots, yet looks the best.

Learn it ;)
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go with a windsor or pratt knot.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Well I am not sure anymore. I have some actual cisco networking experience but apparently it doesn't mean ****.

Well I got another no from the backup job. apparently when the recruiter said, they would be willing to train someone what he actually meant was that they need someone to hit the ground running right away icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh and my old suit is **** up and I could not find an affordable suit today so I will probably get a no tomorrow because of a stupid piece of fabric. FML...Look out army here I come.
    Check out a local thrift store for the suit. I've got 3 really nice, brand name suits from thrift stores.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Well I got the weekend job. I have an interview for a Network Security job next week. It is "entry" level position. Hopefully I can pick this up as well.
  • Options
    Congrats,

• Options
    irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    getitngogetitngo Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats on the weekend gig.
    In Progress:
    Degree in Engineering
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well I got the weekend job. I have an interview for a Network Security job next week. It is "entry" level position. Hopefully I can pick this up as well.

I'm rooting for you on that!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the weekend gig! Guess the suit didn't matter for that one.
    Good luck with the Network Security gig, we're rotting for you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Congrats on the weekend gig! Guess the suit didn't matter for that one.

Thanks.

Lol do NOT get me started on that. So after the recruiter said "Wear a jacket 'cause he will not be happy if you don't" and "Look uber professional" to me and had me all worked up. I get there and the VIP not only didn't have a jacket, he didn't have a tie. I was more "professional" than he was. The guy seemed very laid back and cool which is good.

I need to go do my drug test tomorrow and do the background. I have no record and I am relatively young so it shouldn't take to long.

As far as the other job, I am trying to pick up to jobs so I can A: Pay off the some bills B: Move my wife, cat and fish to Cincy (Dayton is dead) C:Build some experience. I am more concerned with getting something that is gainful and full time. I really, really need to go see a dentist. I haven't had my teeth cleaned in like 7 years icon_redface.gif.

We will see...
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Thanks.

Lol do NOT get me started on that. So after the recruiter said "Wear a jacket 'cause he will not be happy if you don't" and "Look uber professional" to me and had me all worked up. I get there and the VIP not only didn't have a jacket, he didn't have a tie. I was more "professional" than he was. The guy seemed very laid back and cool which is good.

I need to go do my drug test tomorrow and do the background. I have no record and I am relatively young so it shouldn't take to long.

As far as the other job, I am trying to pick up to jobs so I can A: Pay off the some bills B: Move my wife, cat and fish to Cincy (Dayton is dead) C:Build some experience. I am more concerned with getting something that is gainful and full time. I really, really need to go see a dentist. I haven't had my teeth cleaned in like 7 years icon_redface.gif.

We will see...

Hey that's good news. Hopefully you don't have credit card bills, those are the ones that kill you. Hope it all works out, and yes, dental hygiene is very important!

Oral cancer can kill you just as easily as lung cancer icon_sad.gif
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I get there and the VIP not only didn't have a jacket, he didn't have a tie. I was more "professional" than he was.

That's common. It's much better to be overdressed.
    I really, really need to go see a dentist. I haven't had my teeth cleaned in like 7 years icon_redface.gif.

Are you British? ;)
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Are you British? ;)

If only. That would explain this spotted dick of mine.....
    I'll be here all nights folks.

Seriously though, I was wondering about this position (the one I am interviewing for next week). Part of the position requires firewall and web server log management and security. Is that on the lines of checking log files and patching the box or should special considerations come into place with public facing servers?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

That is pretty typical. Not many people wear a suit everyday of work. A lot of people do wear a suit to every interview though, and those are the people you are competing with.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I was wearing jean when I went the interview after work and they hired me. I would be comfortable wearing suit

• Options
    Well interesting developments:

Robert Half has found a position for me. It is a local gig, very part time, but also very flexible. It is a step back career wise but may be good for extra cash. Interview on Monday @ 12pm

There is also a helpdesk position at a company about 30 miles from my me. This is a full time position but again also a step backwards career wise. Interview on Monday @ 8:30am.

Also I am waiting for an Info Security Analyst position. I spoke with the recruiter who told me that they will know something tomorrow. It is in Cincy (where I want to be) and the pay is good. No benefits though and it is a contract (1 year plus). It is more in line with what I want to do so I would like this or the position I am interviewing next week over anything else.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Looks like things are finally looking good for you. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Looks like things are finally looking good for you. icon_thumright.gif

QUIET someone might here you lol icon_lol.gif

No seriously I am somewhat happy about this. The position that I really, really want I interview for on Wednesday so I am seriously preparing for it (mentally). I would like to walk out of there with the job but I am not sure how to do that. The Info Security Analyst is cool but it is only a contract and I am wondering if I should move my family to a different city on a contract job. It pays pretty well though so who knows....

The other 2 positions I am just interviewing and keeping my options open. I really am not that interested in them.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lots of luck man.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Good luck, it looks like you have being through alot, like most well skilled people who is trying to find something in IT. Just keep your head up and do your best. At least you are getting interview.
  • Options
    And now I have another interview on Friday at 9:00am*

It is with a local Credit Union. They have over 20 branches in my local area and I know they have some in other cities as well. The description is posted below. I am not sure what to make of the position. I think in one way, it would help broaden my experience. Also the place is not to far from where I am, and it is full time. On the other hand, it would be further away from my Security goal. But this is also a big company so who knows where you could go. It might be something very good to work while I finish up my degrees. That makes 3 confirmed interviews next week and a possible phone interview at some point as well. Lets see what happens.

* Does anyone know if you can write off gas for job hunting on your taxes?

All (COMPANY NAME) telephone systems, related applications and servers and the network circuits that service these systems.

•All Audio/Visual hardware and associated applications.

Network support includes assisting the Network Administrator in the day to day process of the enterprise backup system as well as handling basic network support for the end users. Help Desk support includes analyzing and resolving end user hardware and software computer and peripheral problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and providing end user training where required.

The Computer Technician must be thoroughly knowledgeable at managing system vulnerability remediation, be thoroughly knowledgeable at managing networked telephone systems, associated applications and servers, and the configuring/installing personal computer systems and peripherals. In order to do so the following are required:

•A Technical or Associates degree and four years experience. Candidates who present an equivalent combination of formal training and experience specific to Information Technology may also be considered.

•Must possess A+ and Network + certifications. Security + and Microsoft desktop support certifications are recommended.

•Patch management experience.

•Telephone system support experience for mid-sized network or greater.

•Audio visual systems support experience for mid-sized network or greater.

•Internet experience that includes the troubleshooting of a high speed Internet connection.

•Novell experience that includes GroupWise (preferred).

•Experience in the 2nd or 3rd tier support of mid-sized network or greater

•Hardware and OS experience: Microsoft, IBM compatible PC’s, Modems, Cisco switches, Nortel data switches, network printers, and IBM Mid-Range computers
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And now I have another interview on Friday at 9:00am*

It is with a local Credit Union. They have over 20 branches in my local area and I know they have some in other cities as well. The description is posted below. I am not sure what to make of the position. I think in one way, it would help broaden my experience. Also the place is not to far from where I am, and it is full time. On the other hand, it would be further away from my Security goal. But this is also a big company so who knows where you could go. It might be something very good to work while I finish up my degrees. That makes 3 confirmed interviews next week and a possible phone interview at some point as well. Lets see what happens.

* Does anyone know if you can write off gas for job hunting on your taxes?

They want an all rounder for that job and I think you can expect to be doing a lot of running around as you will be the first line of defence for the network administrator. If it still suits you I would try to emphasise all the hands on support you have presently done and be sure to get across the physical side of the work, patching etc. Also be sure to explain how you dutifully kept all the records upto date for that...

Don't downplay your ambition to get into more senior work but be sure not to talk about your future career plans at the expense of your immediate sales pitch to be a reliable grunt.

Telephony and Novell..

Not a deal breaker if you dont have these but a possible deal clincher if you do! If you have *any* experience in telephony however menial be sure to get it across. Same for Novell. If you dont have Novell get yourself upto speed on NDS, ZEN and groupwise via the Novell website. Essentially what it is and the utilities to admin basic things. You could post questions on suitable introductory texts on the support forum there (helpful people) or here on TE. Some basic awareness of Novell concepts is better than none.

good luck!