Help Desk Work In Medical Clinics - Your Feedback

Folks,

I interviewed at a fancy local medical clinic. They have 6 branches and a I.T staff of 2 people.

I will be required to support anything this is related to technology which includes: Smart phones, TV's, Telephony, Computers, etc.

I will be working with doctors, nurses, business people etc.

On the good side, the I.T Manager said that I will be able to work with exchange, windows server and active directory in the future. Which would be good to get another job down the road.

What do you guys think ?

It seems to be that this will be a high stress/pressure enviornment. I have also heard that doctors are rude and impatient with their smartphones and computers etc.

Has anyone worked in a medical clinic or hospital before that has somewhat of an idea of how it is working there ?

Your feedback will always be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    Some doctors can be really decent, some can be pricks.

Real-life example:
    Me: What is your name please?
    Dr: Doctor Smith.
    Me: What's your first name?
    Dr: Doctor.

I've also had one go off on how I was keeping him from saving lives by wanting to verify his information prior to resetting a password. End-users in general are a PITA, but doctors can be a special breed.

Overall sounds like a decent opportunity though, just develop a thick skin and you'll be ok.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Some doctors are rude and impatient with EVERYTHING. Keep in mind that time truly is money with them. Every minute that a piece of tech prevents them from seeing a patient, they are loosing money during those minutes. Also consider nurses that have the lives of patients in their hands and then "your computer wont work". They also have to deal direcltly with some doctors that are very mean to them. Guess who they will take a little stress out on? Just keep it all in perspective. After they see you around, they will know that you will get them up and running pretty quick and they wont give you too much poop anymore.

IT in the Medical field is very good to work in. One of the best moves I have ever made. As with every other area to work in, there will be a lot of good and some bad. The important part is you will work with some cool tech and intelligent people.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One thing to think about is catching something. One of the guys that's under me used to work at a Hospital and the nurses wouldn't take their gloves off to use the computer. He never knew if the inputs were contaminated so he started carrying around is own keyboard/mouse.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds good enough. Really depends on what experience you have. If this is job 1, snatch it up.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Every job has it's good and bad side. If they offer you the job, grab it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did helpdesk supporting around 20 clinics for a little over a year.... doctors can be a pain but most of the time they aren't too bad, and in reality you'll be dealing with their nurses or secretary 95% of the time and they are normally easy to deal with.