IT Field / Degree

kennelkennel Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Was referred to this site by a friend in the IT field. Looking to see if any of you have any suggestions.

I have a BA in Political Science and am looking to get into the IT field, i was thinking of getting either a Bachelors in IT or a Masters. I dont have any certifications in IT, so i would be going into the field new.

What I'm looking to do is use my sales / management experience and pair that up with new knowledge in the IT field for a better career.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually several people on here have degrees in unrelated fields. One guy even has a degree in zoology. I don't really have much advice except you would probably best start out trying to get a job as helpdesk/desktop support, get some entry level certs A+, Net+ and then perhaps try to get an MCDST cert. Until you get some experience in IT you probably shouldn't go for a masters in IT and if you get some entry level experience and some certs your poli sci degree will probably be fine for now. After you get some experience, then go for a Masters in IT.
    Just my opinion though.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    If you want to get into IT you will need some experience. Try volunteering or something and start from the bottom and work your way up like most people do. Helpdesk is a good start.