Recommended Material / Authors?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've read through a lot of the threads and most people feel you need a mixture of material to really get all the information/fill in the gaps.

But if there was one book to pick up on what would that book be?

I apologize for the noob questions, but I am not to familiar with the network certifications. I do work in a help desk and utilize tools like Tivoli, Telnetting and CiscoWorks with additional tools I use from time to time to resolve router to router and network issues.

Thanks for any insight.

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is the book I used. Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Certification Study Guide, Fourth Edition (Certification Press) (9780071615389): Glen Clarke: Books Paired along with Transcender I scored like 840 or something. A teacher of mine used the same book (and he liked it, he also scored mid 800's. Beat me out by 10 or 20 points though.)

Good book. Not too dry, but it is still a technical book. I was reading 50 pages a day for a week straight, goes by quickly.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    humble2007 wrote: »
    This is the book I used. Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Certification Study Guide, Fourth Edition (Certification Press) (9780071615389): Glen Clarke: Books Paired along with Transcender I scored like 840 or something. A teacher of mine used the same book (and he liked it, he also scored mid 800's. Beat me out by 10 or 20 points though.)

Good book. Not too dry, but it is still a technical book. I was reading 50 pages a day for a week straight, goes by quickly.

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered and Project + book from Cybex and order the book you suggested for Network +. I am trying like heck to get Network + and Security + completed before the deadline on the 31st.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I liked Sybex's N10-004 book....And TrainSignal's Video Courses.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used CompTIA Network+ Certification 2009 Edition 9781426006098 from CompTIA Press and the Labsim Videos/practice tests and scored 865.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the great resources.

I usually go with two of them on any given cert, unless the cert is not as demanding.
    The Labsim was a great resource for this cert. I hate to admit but the book I had was so dry that I skipped a lot of it and could have passed the exam with just using the Labsim resource. I actually heard through my mentor at WGU that several students used only the Labsim to study for the exam.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    I just clicked on my link and noticed that this is one of the amazon books that gives you a preview. Click on the book picture and you can read through the first chapter or so.
    humble2007 wrote: »
    I just clicked on my link and noticed that this is one of the amazon books that gives you a preview. Click on the book picture and you can read through the first chapter or so.
    Most books on Amazon do that. Front cover, table of contents, Chapter1, Index and back cover. From the Table of Contents it looks like a pretty good and thorough book. I noticed my book isn't available on Amazon, it's probably only available through CompTIA, I got it via Western Governors University.
    How were the included practice tests and what were the other extras included?
  • OPRYSTAROPRYSTAR Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed Network+ 2009 today with 820. I spent about 2 months studying practically daily. I read Mike Meyers Passport book and used Transcender practice exams, which I was averaging 90-100 consistently over the last two weeks.
  • superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A lot of people on these forums have used the Sybex book lately and done pretty well.

I used Mike Meyers All-In-One Network+ and did well enough as well. It was the only book I used and did not use LabSim (seems expensive!) or anything. I personally thought the book was pretty interesting and easy to read, although I've gotten used to reading these types of books over the years.

The All-In-One book website also has a CD for purchase with 10 practice tests on it, and I used that too. I suggest having a few practice tests from somewhere at least because they really help you figure out what you need to study more. The first few practice tests I failed but after that I was passing them with 90% and decided to take the real exam and did the same on it.
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
    earweed wrote: »
    Most books on Amazon do that. Front cover, table of contents, Chapter1, Index and back cover. From the Table of Contents it looks like a pretty good and thorough book. I noticed my book isn't available on Amazon, it's probably only available through CompTIA, I got it via Western Governors University.
    How were the included practice tests and what were the other extras included?

I don't think it gave like a full practice test. Did have chapter review questions and actually gave the answer with an explanation so that you could check to make sure you actually understand the chapter and didn't just skim through.