Options

help needed on what certification to study for

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

Currently, i have BA degree in technology management and a concentration in network system administration, which i graduated with honors last June 2009. However, during my time at school I was unable to get any internship or any job experience due to my busy schedule with full time job in a call center and also juggling my life with wife and kids.

Now i am finished with school ..graduated cum laude with BA, but have no experience in what I finished, besides the lab work that i did in my classes. Other then that, I have done some help on the side for my co worker and family..by cleaning up there hard drive from viruses infections and popups and making there computer faster and updating or adding drivers to there system so that it would be compatible with certain components.

I wanted to get a entry level IT job, because that's what I want to do..currently, i have been working in a call center for about 3 years being a debt collector..so I do have that customer service skills...

I want to know what is the best IT certification to get right now to land me a good entry level job such as a help desk support... according to my experience and degree. Should I do MCDST? A+...ect...

Comments

• Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Hello. Since you have a degree you are well qualified to find an entry level IT job without certifications. If you want to do certifications start from entry level certifications and work your way up. Comptia A+ and MS MCDST is good for alot of entry level positions. If you are having trouble finding a paid job try and volunteer and get experience to add to your resume.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Be sure to highlight your skills working in the call center you are doing right now on your resume. You have a good percentage (people skills) of what you will be doing on help desk already except working help desk occassionally people may appreciate talking to you more..(mild attempt at humor)
    I'd probably start with the A+ and then go for the MCDST.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    what is currently the best exam guide to study for the comptia A+ and the MCDST...like the best author? these books cost a fortune at those Barnes and nobles bookstores...I saw many of them online at Amazon..but just don't know which one to buy? Any advice before I put my money down and start studying....
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Either the Sybex books, or my favorite, the Michael Myers Passport books. You cannot go wrong with those.
  • Options
    For the A+ I recommend Mike Meyers book. For the MCDST look to the sticky for those resources.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    what do you mean look for the sticky for those resources?
  • Options
    I looked up michael myers on amazon...comptia a+ all in one exam guide..but there is a sixth edition and a seventh edition..which one do I pick?
  • Options
    The newest book, which is based on the 2009 objectives which is the only test you can take in most areas right now. (At least in the US you only have that choice). I believe that is the 7th edition for tests 220-701 and 220-702. That's the book you want. I see Amazon has it for $37 right now, not a bad price.
  • Options
    keeranbri wrote: »
    what do you mean look for the sticky for those resources?
    Sorry about that the MCDST doesn't even have sticky's for resources. I'd advise looking through the MCDST forum MCDST - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums and perhaps posting there for ideas on what study material to use for those tests.
    For the A+ I would advise using 7th edition of Mike Meyers book.
    A lot of people here also recommend using some type of video training. Most use trainsignal or CBTnuggets. Labsim/testout is also very good.
    Sticky's are threads which remain at the top of a particular forum. The A+ forum has a sticky which lists resources, objectives, etc.
  • Options
    thanks for the info...how long does it approximately take to study for the A+ and pass the test..if I were to read mike myers all in one exam..
  • Options
    Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gif All-In-One Mike Meyers book.

Back in the day I blew threw the A+ cert in just under a month. I spent 2wks studying for each test. However I'm sure the exam has changed since then. Read the book, take some practice tests and once your comfortable and confident to sit the exam. Book it
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • Options
    I took about 1-1/2 months, depends on amount of time you have. I have a wife and kids and work.
  • Options
    It took me about 3 weeks to read the book and take the tests and pass them. Took 1 week for the first test, and then 2 more for the 2nd. It all depends on how fast you can read and absorb the knowledge in the book as well as feel confident that you can pass it.

Of course, right after you take the test and wait for your score you'll likely feel like you bombed it because of how some of the questions were written.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say start with A+, and Net+, and then after that pursue whatever you want to. For me it was Microsoft, but now I'm looking at going back for security+.

The A+, Net+, and Sec+, are currently certified as of life. As of 1/1/2011 they expire every 3 years. So if you can do it, scoop all 3 of them up this year and be good for life.
    Decide what to be and go be it.