How do you list CompTIA certs?

aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
on your resume, how would you list your CompTIA certs?

I'm unsure if I should list them as:

method 1:
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+
CompTIA Server+
...and so forth. Each cert in on a different line.

method 2:
CompTIA A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, and Strata Green IT

Which method works better with the HR folks? Which works better with bots? Method 1 takes up more valuable resume space, while method 2 appears condensed but assumes the reader knows all these certs are distinct and granted by CompTIA

Of course the goal is to get pass screening and to a real person.

Please help!

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Method 1. Without doubt. First priority is getting past the HR clowns.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Method 1. Without doubt. First priority is getting past the HR clowns.

2nd'd. I agree totally.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2nd method. Whether or not HR knows Comptia granted all those certs, all they are looking for is the cert name. Plus you could always list it like so:

Comptia: A+, Network+, Security+
    Microsoft: MCSE, MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Similar topic here, what order do you list them in. I personally liked putting A+ before Net+ because that is how I earned them, that is how it sounds better. However a teacher was telling me to stick net+ first so it stuck out.

Does it really matter that much?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think the order counts that much.
    Personally to the OP what ever way should be fine. Try them out though by submitting your resume to one of the online job searches to make sure it scans correctly.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I use method 1 as it's more formal. My list order is from most relevant (usually the "best" / highest-ranking) to least. If I was HR and looking through hundreds of resumes a day, my eyes would fast-scan across them and I may not catch the entire list. Thus, whatever's first will be the most noticed in my opinion.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • getitngogetitngo Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it depends. If your resume needs some stuffing, go with the first method. however if you are trying to keep everything on one page, you might want to go with option two while putting the vendor name in bold.
    In Progress:
    Degree in Engineering
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    getitngo wrote: »
    I think it depends. If your resume needs some stuffing, go with the first method. however if you are trying to keep everything on one page, you might want to go with option two while putting the vendor name in bold.

This is what I was thinking. If you are like three lines over one page you can try to fit them on one line to save that extra space. I think the first option looks better if you have the room.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I used a two column approach on my resume. I wanted to take up some more white space and had to keep it all one 1 page.

Eventually do you get to the point that you list like the top 3 or 4 (or the 3 or 4 that are most relevant to the job you are applying for) in a method 1 manner, and then list the other ones using method 2? That way it all gets on there and still looks decent and grabs an eye.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WHY Method 2?? If you use that method then you waste more space you can only have a two page CV and its hard to fit every thing on so one line would work better for me!!
  • aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I used a two column approach on my resume. I wanted to take up some more white space and had to keep it all one 1 page.

Eventually do you get to the point that you list like the top 3 or 4 (or the 3 or 4 that are most relevant to the job you are applying for) in a method 1 manner, and then list the other ones using method 2? That way it all gets on there and still looks decent and grabs an eye.

Thanks, everyone! CompTIA is a little trickier for me because their certs are mostly entry level and I've had 7+ years of experience. I still want to include them because 1) I've earned them, 2) I want to show a track record, 3) to get the attention of HR/bots.

I work in a biotech with 150+ PhD's and they still include elementary stuffs from 20-30 years of their experiences, so I don't think it hurts to leave out any accomplishments. I just want to find a nice balance between filling out resume white space and redundant repetition (in my case, listing 'CompTIA' five times for the certs I have).

If you had any actual experience doing either of the two methods, did the HR people provide you any feedback?
  • aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Similar topic here, what order do you list them in. I personally liked putting A+ before Net+ because that is how I earned them, that is how it sounds better. However a teacher was telling me to stick net+ first so it stuck out.

Does it really matter that much?

I list my certs from Highest to Lowest (or most difficult to easiest). I'm not a psychologist but I've heard that people tend to remember the first and the last of any list. So if you had a string of certs in logical order it makes it easier for HR.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've always tossed in my CompTIA & MCP IDs too. Unnecessary?
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
    arwes wrote: »
    I've always tossed in my CompTIA & MCP IDs too. Unnecessary?

I think so. As far as I know you can't use an ID to find a transcript. Providing a transcript link might not be a bad idea though. Maybe use a tinyurl or something so it doesn't look so bad.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I group as many as I can on a single line; I'm space-conscious.
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    My resume is so pathetic, I try to spread them out as much as I can. All 2 of them. I am not space-conscious.
  • TheSweetnessTheSweetness Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any input as far as clarifying between SYO-101 and 201 for Sec+ (if you have 201)?