Options

MY RESUME: Please give me your feedback!

FHERNANDEZFHERNANDEZ Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Please view attachment where it contains a JPEG of my Resume.
(excluding personal information)

1. I am currently unemployed and in need of full time employment.
2. Any feedback(s) after resume review will be appreciated.
3. No Certifications, Can you recommend any certifications that may help me land a good technical or management role.
4. I am flexible and enjoy different types of technical roles that may be of a match with my background as long as it is in the IT field.
5. I have no specific career path at the moment, I am flexible in my career search. any suggestions on possible career moves based on experience will be appreciated also.

Thank you all in advance for reading and contributing. icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hope you have different formatting. The way it is displayed here is horrible.

Try attatching a word document. The formatting is sometimes even more important than what the words say.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I fixed the formatting from rich text to my actual Resume Word formatting
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I can't find it.....
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    I just see a red x
  • Options
    Sorry for the inconvenience...
    I manually uploaded the resume instead of pointing to a link.
    It should be good now, just click on the attachment.
  • Options
    I see it now. Unfortunatly it is too small to read.

Looks a bit cluttered to me though. You don't want a ton of white space, but you do need some.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Personally, that centre justification and title bars look quite horrible. It looks like a big data sheet that the hiring manager will have to wade into to find out if you should be brought forward for interview. If it were me, I wouldn't continue to read it.

One thing always overlooked with these, but probably the most important aspect of a resume is to make it look pleasing to the eye and not too crowded on the first page. When the hiring manager picks it up to look at it, you have less than 5 seconds to impress them and get the initial hook in to make them want to keep reading. You should lay it out so it doesn't look like it is going to be a chore to read through it.

3 lines of profile at the top and straight into your last role and go backwards and have 2-3 bullet points of key achievements for each role. I've never been a fan of listing skills in a specific "Key Skills" section on the grounds that your previous work experience should say that for you.

You should not be too specific but hint at things you are capable of. This gives them things to ask you at interview.

Thing about these is that everyone has a preferred way of doing it and there is no magic resume format. Similarly, hiring managers have their own preferences as well so you should just try to keep it neat and simple.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Thanks, you guys are right...
    It still seems too crowded. It used to be 2 pages originally... I will have to change the formatting and keep it simple just displaying key points instead of all my responsibilities
    and technical skills
  • Options
    Ok, I made some of the following changes:
    1. The format of the resume
    2. Removed alot of the information so that it may be easier to read and "catch the attention" of the HR person.

Please let me know your thoughts...
    Thank you.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure if I like that format too much.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    darren884darren884 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You need to make it shine, stand out. Its very plain. Don't follow anyone's format, format it how you think it should be formatted and you'll be surprised.
    Zend Certified Engineer
  • Options
    I don't like the bullets in it, makes me think that I am reading some sort of error log.

But maybe that looks better on paper. It is kind of hard to tell.
  • Options
    ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A couple things I find note-worthy

- A "clean criminal record"? ...possibly change to "no criminal record", or leave out all together. Actually, I'd toss out that whole block of additional info.
    - The spacing between headers and bullets isn't uniform throughout the document.
    - Personally I would make the bullets smaller or choose a different symbol.
    - I also think it is still a tad wordy throughout the skills section of the document.
    - I'd set the side margins to 1", standard business.