Anyone transfer from ITT Tech to WGU?

darren884darren884 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, first time here. I have been reading threads about WGU and have requested info from them. I want to know if anyone knows if any credits transfer from ITT (CNS Program) to WGU? I want to do a bachelors of science with an emphasis in Software (what I do). I am getting out of ITT Tech (thankfully done) with an AS in CNS and am curious about any other people who tried to transfer to WGU. After reading about WGU it seems it is a good school and is more affordable than ITT. Can anyone shed some light?

Also I know how bad ITT Tech is so we can skip that discussion.
Zend Certified Engineer

Comments

• brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    No experience with either school but given that WGU is regionally and nationally accredited it would be nice if WGU emerged as a valid transfer option for those attending ITT for their AAS. Good luck with this.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Darren, could you tell us about your ITT experience as well?
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    darren884 wrote: »
    Hi guys, first time here. I have been reading threads about WGU and have requested info from them. I want to know if anyone knows if any credits transfer from ITT (CNS Program) to WGU? I want to do a bachelors of science with an emphasis in Software (what I do). I am getting out of ITT Tech (thankfully done) with an AS in CNS and am curious about any other people who tried to transfer to WGU. After reading about WGU it seems it is a good school and is more affordable than ITT. Can anyone shed some light?

I am attending a college similar to ITT,(they’re called career colleges), and I called WGU, and they said that the credits don’t transfer. Try to get your certifications while you’re in school. The testout lab Sims can be purchased very cheaply via a student discount. Try to get you’re a+, Network+, and Security+ before the end of the year.
    Ps-
    Are your classes 12 weeks instead of the average 16? If so, then I believe your college isn’t Regionally accredited, and this is what most colleges will be looking at it. They believe that since you’re only in college 12 weeks vs. the 16 week classes they offer, that you’re not learning the same amount of material. At least this is how it was explained to me…
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The testout lab Sims can be purchased very cheaply via a student discount. Try to get you’re a+, Network+, and Security+ before the end of the year.
    I agree with that about using the Labsim/testout. They are an excellent resource. Several people at WGU used ONLY the labsim for their Sec+ studies and scored in the high 800's.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I remember reading over at DegreeInfo that some folks had successfully transferred credits from ITT to WGU. I would get the transcripts and send them to find out! I would follow up with transcriptinfo@wgu.edu if you don't hear back within 5 days or if you have any questions. Good luck!!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    +1 doesn't hurt to try. I believe CLEP's transfer as they transfer to most any accredited institution. Hopefully at least all of the gen ed classes you took transfer.
    Your problem may lie in that ITT isn't regionally accreditted, it's nationally accreditted which doesn't carry the same weight. National means almost nothing, sorry to say.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • darren884darren884 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys well I am hoping that at least some of the GE classes transfer, if not I will probably start over. I want to be challenged and I feel if I at least did WGU I would be challenged. I will get my Network+ before WGU but I just hope some of my GE credits transfer.

Anyways...

My experience at ITT Tech has not been good. I work as a professional as an eCommerce developer. When I first started going to ITT Tech the GE classes were alright but then when I got into the tech classes I became very angry because I had spent a lot of money and the teachers didn't know anything and they wasted our time in class. In most of my classes we would usually sit for an 2 hours because the teacher did not have any more class work and was afraid the dean would come and yell if we were let go early. I had some teachers whose attitude was well I can't help you, your on your own; not to me but a lot of other students. In many of my labs my partner and I were the only ones to get them done because I had prior experience and the teachers could not get the toher students labs running successfully, especially in Linux. In fact I had a student pay me $40 for 1 hour of Linux help. I am in my final capstone now and in the 3rd week we were told we were given the wrong scenario and in the 4th week when we were asked for a progress report on our capstone we were scolded because we didn't have a lot and the blame was placed on us for the error.
    Zend Certified Engineer
    Sorry to hear your experiences were so bad at ITT. At WGU you have no teachers, it's all self taught. You have course mentors and some classes provide tutoring. The labs, if you choose to do them (and I advise this), are up to you. You're given a Course of Study like a syllabus and if you follow it you'll do really well.
    Some learning resources are provided but not all. You'll still need to buy some extra books and better practice tests. Most books that aren't provided are available via your Books 24x7 account online. You're provided all the OS's you may need via MSDNAA and Dreamspark, these include Windows XP/Vista/7/2k3/2k8 and also VMWare workstation with your VMWare account you'll have as a student.
    I'd advise having a computer with at least 4GB RAM in order to do your Server 2k8 labbing.
    Good luck!
    Hi guys well I am hoping that at least some of the GE classes transfer, if not I will probably start over. I want to be challenged and I feel if I at least did WGU I would be challenged. I will get my Network+ before WGU but I just hope some of my GE credits transfer.

Anyways...

My experience at ITT Tech has not been good. I work as a professional as an eCommerce developer. When I first started going to ITT Tech the GE classes were alright but then when I got into the tech classes I became very angry because I had spent a lot of money and the teachers didn't know anything and they wasted our time in class. In most of my classes we would usually sit for an 2 hours because the teacher did not have any more class work and was afraid the dean would come and yell if we were let go early. I had some teachers whose attitude was well I can't help you, your on your own; not to me but a lot of other students. In many of my labs my partner and I were the only ones to get them done because I had prior experience and the teachers could not get the toher students labs running successfully, especially in Linux. In fact I had a student pay me $40 for 1 hour of Linux help. I am in my final capstone now and in the 3rd week we were told we were given the wrong scenario and in the 4th week when we were asked for a progress report on our capstone we were scolded because we didn't have a lot and the blame was placed on us for the error.

I see this a lot at my school(a career college similar to ITT Tech), but the teachers know how to do the work, and answer the questions. In fact, they’re very helpful with any questions that I might have. However, it’s a bummer when you can’t do labs. For example, I’m taking a networking+ class that uses the Tamra Dean book Guide for Networks and we can hardly do any of the labs. A lot of the labs require admin rights, yet we are only power users. On top of that to substitute for labs the teacher has given a lot of student’s Linux command line labs and having us install ubunto and Suse Linux. I’m not learning much by doing this though…….. I tell my fellow peers to get lab sim/test out or additional books to fill in the blanks and provide lab time. Many of my student peers at school don’t follow my advice though…
    Moreover, almost every technical class I have taken just doesn’t provide adequate lab time or experience. In fact, most of the time the labs are based mostly on theory, and not actual experience with equipment. They will never inform you of this when you’re signing up for your classes.
    I had one teacher compare our class to a boot camp class. The shocking thing is I think he is serious… Also some security classes have labs for wire shark or snort..nope can’t do those either.
    I’m not sure if it’s a money thing or if it’s a man power thing, but one of my student peers has suggested that IT students have their own network / lab to do labs in. This same student has stated more than one occasion that the Music programs have $4,000.00 in pieces of equipment in their labs. I think he has a valid point…
    But beyond that I can tell you that you will learn much if you learn on your own(via self study)

I take the classes, but I focus on certifications more than my actual school work, and I still get A”s and B”s that’s what I suggest you do while trying to transfer to WGU.
    But beyond that I can tell you that you will learn much more if you learn on your own(via self study)
    Ps try the DANTES & celp test some colleges will allow this for college credit.
    DSST - GetCollegeCredit.com
    CLEP College Search
    Good Luck.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    WGU also takes credit for straighterline courses.
    earweed wrote: »
    WGU also takes credit for straighterline courses.

What are the straightliner courses?
    I'm thinking of going to WGU in a year or 2

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • darren884darren884 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, I am mostly self taught. I work for home making good money now but I want a BS degree for personal gain. Its good you get a mentor because they can help out a lot. When I had my internship the lead developer was self taught, had no degree, and is now making six figures doing WAN consulting.I mostly learn on my own but when it comes to computer hardware it takes me a little longer to learn it. Another reason is I am starting to find the jobs where I am hired want me to play the role as the main tech guy so its good to be well rounded.

Anyways I called WGU and they said they would be able to transfer some of my credits so thats good. I will probably start in 2 months, I am going to knock out Network+ before I do the degree.
    Zend Certified Engineer
    What are the straightliner courses?
    I'm thinking of going to WGU in a year or 2
    You can google straighterline it's an online college that's kind of partnered with WGU where WGU accepts course from them now for transfer. Straighterline is really cheap and you can knock out some of your gened classes through them.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□

It depends on what you consider "bad". I had great instructors but I think the price was a bit much. I got my first IT job (sysadmin) when I was a quarter though my bachelors degree. Would I have gone to a different school? Not sure. How many on site colleges do you know of that teach cisco, microsoft, and linux?
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    My Community College seemed to be a let down for me, the instructors seemed like they were just there to make extra money ( night classes) or the classes didn't really cover up to date material. Maybe the military skewed my perspective, but I expect that if people are in positions to teach, they should be knowledgeable in their profession. I heard about the same experiences with ITT from some of my buddies who used their GI bills there.

I think this is what really appeals to me about WGU, if I fail or don't work hard enough to reach my goals, it is only my fault. Nothing worse than paying money for something and having to deal with other's shortcomings or lack of care/professionalism.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    phoeneous wrote: »
    It depends on what you consider "bad". I had great instructors but I think the price was a bit much. I got my first IT job (sysadmin) when I was a quarter though my bachelors degree. Would I have gone to a different school? Not sure. How many on site colleges do you know of that teach cisco, microsoft, and linux?

I attended a small community college that did CCNA, CCNP, CCNA:Sec, Linux+, RHCE, MCSE, A+ courses. Granted the CCNP, RHCE, and some of the MCSE were in their bachelors program. While I agree that's not the norm, there are some out there.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • zmoney14zmoney14 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I graduated from ITT with an AAS CNS in 2006. I am now enrolled at WGU. The following WGU classes were given a transferred status from my previous classes taken at ITT:

LAC1 Language and Communication: Foundations 2 CU
    LAE1 Language and Communication: Essay 2 CU
    LAT1 Language and Communication: Research 2 CU
    SSC1 General Education Social Science 1 CU
    SST1 General Education Social Science: Analysis and Applications 2 CU
    CLC1 Reasoning and Problem Solving 3 CU

Remember, WGU evaluates all classes on case by case basis. I also had my A+2003, MCP, and Network+2006 transfer over for credit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    zmoney14 wrote: »
    I graduated from ITT with an AAS CNS in 2006. I am now enrolled at WGU. The following WGU classes were given a transferred status from my previous classes taken at ITT:

LAC1 Language and Communication: Foundations 2 CU
    LAE1 Language and Communication: Essay 2 CU
    LAT1 Language and Communication: Research 2 CU
    SSC1 General Education Social Science 1 CU
    SST1 General Education Social Science: Analysis and Applications 2 CU
    CLC1 Reasoning and Problem Solving 3 CU

Remember, WGU evaluates all classes on case by case basis. I also had my A+2003, MCP, and Network+2006 transfer over for credit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Wonderful! Thanks for letting us know. I have a buddy who completed his AS in Electronics with ITT, and I've been looking for more info as to what would transfer. Now I can go back to nagging him about finishing his bachelor's. :D
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I attended a small community college that did CCNA, CCNP, CCNA:Sec, Linux+, RHCE, MCSE, A+ courses. Granted the CCNP, RHCE, and some of the MCSE were in their bachelors program. While I agree that's not the norm, there are some out there.

That's a community college, I meant a university. My bad.