Sybex to release new CCNP study guide any thoughts on getting this bookset
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3561856

hey web if u can correct the link would appreicate it
icon_cool.gif
Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    any new thoughts on this?
    does anyone think its even usable and reviews?

its time for me to purchase books
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    save your money, buy the Cisco CCNP certification pack instead. I read sybex for BSCI first, then when I read the ciscopress the sybex was seriously lacking! I think this discussed in another topic in this forum. Especially for BSCI stick to cisco press (in my opinion).
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Assuming it won't be your only study material, I think that is a good price for such a complete book. icon_cool.gif Apart from the CCNA books, I prefer Cisco Press over Sybex for the Cisco exams, but I often hear the opposite as well.
    thanks for thoughts
  • determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Hey Keenon,

If you really want to study for the CCNP and want to get some hands on experience I would check Cisco's Network Academy. Some Community colleges are offering those courses pretty cheap. The advantage is that you get the hands on experience if you don't work in the field. Personally I don't like Sybex too much because they seem to make things to complicated.
    i tried that route before and found it to be a bit too slow for me. i have been working in the cisco arena for about the past 3 years and just recently started down the cert track. i decided to order the cisco press books from bookpool.com and found the books to be cheaper than any other site out there.

currently i work as a network engineer in a 10k+ nodes environment
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Just wanted to add that in general the Cisco press books work very well, but they all seem to lack important info. I.e. BSCI book doesn't cover NAT and ipv6 like it should. Offering different books for the same exam doesn't make it easier either. I picked up my BCMSN book again (considering Wildfire's free access lab with a 2950 icon_cool.gif ) and although it is a good read, it doesn't seem complete either. In case of BSCM it's fairly easy to get the info from www.cisco.com cause most topics are very closely related to each other. I might pick up that Sybex book afterall hoping it will fill up some gaps.
    i have some cbts that work really great but i may pick of the sybex cram book around the time i get ready to take test
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I would get it....I use both Sybex and Cisco press books on all Cisco exams. On their own, each have a down side. I usually read the Sybex and then go back to the Cisco Press when I need more information on a particular subject. If I need even more information, I start reading white papers...I use both for practice questions. Then I usually finish it off with a Boson practice exam. So...long story short, I agree with Webmaster. If it is not the only thing you study ....get it...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA