long time reader, first time post

neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, after being laid off in March and taking a 2 month break from all things IT, I'm beginning my journey to MCSE, MCITP:EA and LPIC. The last exam I took was A+ in 97. Needless to say, I have been very lucky to get as far as I have in the IT bubble without industry certifications.

My first peice of advice for the newbies looking to break into the field is try to be open minded when approaching contract positions. In my own experience I chased the $$ instead of experience early which was great for the short term but after 5 yrs I found myself backed into a corner in terms of career moves(hardware break/fix roles only) and had to work twice as hard to get out of that rut. bottom line, a lame 30 day contract making 12 bucks an hr helping a random company role out outlook or something have intangible benefits.

oh yea, avoid credit card debt like the plague, if it gets out of hand you will find yourself paying interest on that take of gas you bought in '02 and that my friend will make you want to punch a baby.

but thats another story for an entirely different site. icon_wink.gif

Comments