NG2F's road to CCNP (the new track)

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
Well I think it is time that I look at the beast in the eyes (the CCNP) and take it on head first. I suppose the real beast is the CCIE, but for now, for me, the CCNP is that beast.

Will I know enough to pass this course? Well that is a catch 22, I do not know what I don't know? Does that make sense? I must read the books, gather as many resources as possible and see what this NEW track is all about.

I will try my best to update this thread as much as possible for anyone looking for a good roadmap or at least spy on me and see how I'm doing. :D

So here we go, today, I declare, my road to CCNP!!!!

What do I have so far? Not much in reading materials. The exam I've decided to start off with first is the SWITCH (642-813) exam.

I bought the CCNP library set that you see here:

CCNP Routing and Switching Official Certification Library (Exams 642-902, 642-813, 642-832)

Amazon.com: CCNP Routing and Switching Official Certification Library (Exams…

Cost about $150 give or take.

As I purchase and find more materials, I will update this thread with pricing/materials. As well as reviews on these materials....

Here we go!!

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you pre-ordered your SWITCH Foundation Learning Guide yet?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    You will do just fine, I wouldn't worry about it, also read up on the differences between the old CCNP track and the new CCNP track, because they removed some stuff from the new CCNP track to make it somewhat easier than the old one from what I understand. They removed some technologies and concepts. If you look up the old CCNP material you can learn all that stuff and probably be reasonably sure you could pass the new CCNP stuff because you've learned more than it covers, that would really come in handy on the troubleshooting portion, I'd imagine.

I would look at that so you know what's new and what's removed.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Have you pre-ordered your SWITCH Foundation Learning Guide yet?

I have been waiting for it to come out. I'm not sure if I want to order all 3 at the same time and maybe save? Or just buy one at a time as they come out.

Just checked amazon, it's $44, list is $70. I can't tell if it's $44 pre-order and will go up to $70 when it comes out?

Anyways, just to be safe, I'll go ahead and pre-order.....

Selfmade wrote: »
    You will do just fine, I wouldn't worry about it, also read up on the differences between the old CCNP track and the new CCNP track, because they removed some stuff from the new CCNP track to make it somewhat easier than the old one from what I understand. They removed some technologies and concepts. If you look up the old CCNP material you can learn all that stuff and probably be reasonably sure you could pass the new CCNP stuff because you've learned more than it covers, that would really come in handy on the troubleshooting portion, I'd imagine.

I would look at that so you know what's new and what's removed.

I'm glad you brought up the old books. I have the old library and in fact just pulled out the BCMSN book. I have read that there are some subtle differences. I plan on reading the new book as the primary source, and using the specific topics in BCMSN as backup to see if any details were missed in the new book.

If I find that it is helpful, I will list the BCMSN book as something that might be worthy of having.....
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i disagree. I lernt the bscsm cbt nugets and book. and took the switch exam. while a few things have been removed. it is only a few things and more has been added. It not eaiser. just a bit different. I thought the coverage was great, dont be scared though its all fun stuff.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    i disagree. I lernt the bscsm cbt nugets and book. and took the switch exam. while a few things have been removed. it is only a few things and more has been added. It not eaiser. just a bit different. I thought the coverage was great, dont be scared though its all fun stuff.

That's very brave of you. So you're saying that you took the new SWITCH exam without reading the new SWITCH book?

Are you working on your ROUTE now or TS?
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    no i had the SWITCH cert guide as well. I just didn't see one as any eaiser. I would say the two are 90% the same. My PC crashed in my test and only just been given resit date. so be taking it in about 3 weeks. (new baby due any moment so can't take it right away). been going through the BSCI cbt nuggets. Oh keep an eye out for the SWITCH cert updates that will include ip sla, snmp and a few other bits. these should be a free extra download. :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    no i had the SWITCH cert guide as well. I just didn't see one as any eaiser. I would say the two are 90% the same. My PC crashed in my test and only just been given resit date. so be taking it in about 3 weeks. (new baby due any moment so can't take it right away). been going through the BSCI cbt nuggets. Oh keep an eye out for the SWITCH cert updates that will include ip sla, snmp and a few other bits. these should be a free extra download. :)

Really!? That is good to know!! Thank you!

And congrats and good luck on the soon to be newborn....
    Series Index: The New CCNP (Announced January, 2010) | NetworkWorld.com Community

I recommend you take a look at that so you can read a little bit more about the new CCNP track from some professionals
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
    Series Index: The New CCNP (Announced January, 2010) | NetworkWorld.com Community

I recommend you take a look at that so you can read a little bit more about the new CCNP track from some professionals

Yup, read this awhile back while studying CCNA Security actually. (had to get my mind off CCNA:S LOL)

Glad you posted this though for everyone else....
    Also if you're gonna do up this thread hardcore, post some topologies and lab step by steps, that'd be cool.
    Also if you're gonna do up this thread hardcore, post some topologies and lab step by steps, that'd be cool.

I'll try my best, I can't guarantee I will have the energy to update this thread all the time, but I will give it a shot...

I'm actually starting a little backwards today. I'm starting on Chapter 11 first on inter-VLAN routing.

I'm going to note how I study so if anyone wants to go backwards like me, it will all be posted here...
    good ol' router on a stick inter-vlan routing. I have the new books on hand but I won't be home for another 4-ish hours so I can't quite study with you icon_sad.gif

I need to finish reviewing for my CCNA, I'm looking to do CCNA Sec next, then join you in CCNP.

Probably won't take all that long, hoping to have both done before the end of this summer.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Haha I can't go backwards. Are you going to invest in any trainsignal or cbt nuggets?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    good ol' router on a stick inter-vlan routing. I have the new books on hand but I won't be home for another 4-ish hours so I can't quite study with you icon_sad.gif

I need to finish reviewing for my CCNA, I'm looking to do CCNA Sec next, then join you in CCNP.

Probably won't take all that long, hoping to have both done before the end of this summer.

I think I'm making the right decision to go with CCNA, CCNA:S and now CCNP.

The great thing is that I was looking to do CCDA/CCDP, but if I pass the SWITCH exam, then I can just take the CCDP!!!
    Otherwise, I would have wasted time and money doing CCDA then CCDP, and then the SWITCH....

You can definitley finish CCNA and CCNA:S by the end of the summer...

chmorin wrote: »
    Haha I can't go backwards. Are you going to invest in any trainsignal or cbt nuggets?

I have to make note of which chapters I've read, I made the mistake of randomly choosing chapters for CCNA too, but forgot to write down which ones I read, so I know I ended up reading some chapters 2 or 3 times extra...

Since the only real study material out now is the SWITCH book by Cisco Press. I figured I'll get started on this. Next month the foundation books come out so I'll flip through them.

I assume the foundation books are a little more basic, so if I fully understand all the concepts in SWITCH, I should be able to skim through the foundation book and then let people know if it's really worth getting.

By then it should be about 6-8 weeks from this post, and I'm hoping CBT Nuggets/Trainsignal will have updated their videos.

I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable taking the test without getting Jeremy's take on things.... :)
    Pre-ordered Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (SWITCH) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for SWITCH 642-813 (Self-Study Guide)

Cost: $44

Amazon.com: Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (SWITCH) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for SWITCH 642-813 (Self-Study Guide) (9781587058844): Richard Froom, Balaji Sivasubramanian, Erum Frahim: Books

Due to come out: June 18, 2010
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I assume the foundation books are a little more basic, so if I fully understand all the concepts in SWITCH, I should be able to skim through the foundation book and then let people know if it's really worth getting.
    The Foundation books are supposed to teach you what you should know for the subject (and the relevant background material). The Certification Guides are review and reinforcement of the knowledge before the exam.

A lot of times when someone failed the old BSCI or BCMSN exams it was because they only used the Certification Guide and skipped the Authorized Self Study book -- and the Foundation book is the "replacement" for the Authorized Self Study certification books. The Foundation book would have to suck pretty bad before they become worth skipping -- and then you'd be flapping in the breeze trying to figure out which parts of the Cisco Documentation were the relevant replacements for the stuff that should be covered in the Foundation book.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The Foundation books are supposed to teach you what you should know for the subject (and the relevant background material). The Certification Guides are review and reinforcement of the knowledge before the exam.

A lot of times when someone failed the old BSCI or BCMSN exams it was because they only used the Certification Guide and skipped the Authorized Self Study book -- and the Foundation book is the "replacement" for the Authorized Self Study certification books. The Foundation book would have to suck pretty bad before they become worth skipping -- and then you'd be flapping in the breeze trying to figure out which parts of the Cisco Documentation were the relevant replacements for the stuff that should be covered in the Foundation book.

Thanks for the 411, I had no idea. I think the word "foundation" doesn't give it due justice.

Authorized Self Study sounds a lot more..."authoritative"... LOL...

This is extremely important to know, so thanks....glad I pre-ordered the book then.....I won't underestimate it...
    Chapter 11 Multi-layer Switching is now finished. (remember I am reading chapters out of order)

Here's my review:

Most of this chapter is about IP CEF, what it's about, how to configure it. It seems to be the meat of this chapter.

The chapter starts off with what seems like a review of VLAN's and SVI configuration. Since I'm fresh off the CCNA, this was a pretty easy read and a little refreshing just in case I missed any minor details.
    The chapter then ends about configuring DHCP server, and using help-addresses to relay DHCP requests.

Overall, it wasn't a terribly hard chapter. IP CEF takes a little while to understand, luckily and coincidentally I spent some time reading up on IP CEF during my CCNA studies so it wasn't entirely new to me, but still a very worthy topic to concentrate on and understand.
    Chapter 12 Enterprise Campus Network Design is now finished. (remember I am reading chapters out of order)

What a fantastic and interesting chapter. This is the first I've read on core layers, switch and core blocks. When and where to use L3 and L2 links...

How to design your network around traffic and not so much user count.

Redunancy for core switches were lightly touched but the next chapter I believe will cover it in more detail.

Finally a chapter that brought fresh and new topics to me and not just rehashed CCNA topics....
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I'm making the right decision to go with CCNA, CCNA:S and now CCNP.

The great thing is that I was looking to do CCDA/CCDP, but if I pass the SWITCH exam, then I can just take the CCDP!!!

This is not correct. You will still need to take and pass the CCDA to get the CCDP
    CCDP - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

Prereqs include CCNA AND CCDA.
    knwminus wrote: »
    This is not correct. You will still need to take and pass the CCDA to get the CCDP
    CCDP - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

Prereqs include CCNA AND CCDA.

Correct, I realized this morning when I was looking at possibly the CCDP. Glad you brought this up to confirm....
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Correct, I realized this morning when I was looking at possibly the CCDP. Glad you brought this up to confirm....

So am I going to have a CCDA study buddy in a few months? icon_lol.gif

I want to take it in either August or September.
    knwminus wrote: »
    So am I going to have a CCDA study buddy in a few months? icon_lol.gif

I want to take it in either August or September.

That's a tough one, I am definitely interested in CCDA/CCDP. Timing is going to be critical.

By Aug/Sep, I hope that at the very least I have my SWITCH and ROUTE exams completed.

I would probably shoot for the TS just to get it over with. If I can get it done
    in that time frame, then the next thing would be CCDA/CCDP.

So if I can push myself to keep up the pace, and if you can wait a little while, then yes, timing could be perfect...

icon_mrgreen.gif
    Some thoughts about the SWITCH track as I've been reading.

I've heard that the SWITCH exam tends to be a little easier after doing the CCNA Security exam because some topics overlap. And that seems to be very well the case. Also, not only CCNA Security but CCNA in general with inter-VLAN routing and ACL's. So far, other than a couple of new topics such as campus LAN designs, IP CEF I haven't yet hit any topics that have been overwhelming.

Not to say that I won't. There are many more topics left and I am reading the chapters out of order. Just wanted to get my thoughts out....
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Some thoughts about the SWITCH track as I've been reading.

I've heard that the SWITCH exam tends to be a little easier after doing the CCNA Security exam because some topics overlap. And that seems to be very well the case. Also, not only CCNA Security but CCNA in general with inter-VLAN routing and ACL's. So far, other than a couple of new topics such as campus LAN designs, IP CEF I haven't yet hit any topics that have been overwhelming.

Not to say that I won't. There are many more topics left and I am reading the chapters out of order. Just wanted to get my thoughts out....

Seems similar to the BCMSN, I'm going through it now, about 10/11 chapters into the book, and I think only 2 or 3 chapters I've had to re-read parts to understand them. In the BSCI? Pretty much every chapter there was something brand new.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Seems similar to the BCMSN, I'm going through it now, about 10/11 chapters into the book, and I think only 2 or 3 chapters I've had to re-read parts to understand them. In the BSCI? Pretty much every chapter there was something brand new.

I had suspected this. Glad I went with SWITCH first.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I had suspected this. Glad I went with SWITCH first.

I'm glad I didn't personally, that way it gets the hardest bit out the way first, then everything after seems like childs play compared. I prefer to tackle than put off the hard stuff.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well I think it is time that I look at the beast in the eyes (the CCNP) and take it on head first. I suppose the real beast is the CCIE, but for now, for me, the CCNP is that beast.

Will I know enough to pass this course? Well that is a catch 22, I do not know what I don't know? Does that make sense? I must read the books, gather as many resources as possible and see what this NEW track is all about.

I will try my best to update this thread as much as possible for anyone looking for a good roadmap or at least spy on me and see how I'm doing. :D

So here we go, today, I declare, my road to CCNP!!!!

What do I have so far? Not much in reading materials. The exam I've decided to start off with first is the SWITCH (642-813) exam.

I bought the CCNP library set that you see here:

CCNP Routing and Switching Official Certification Library (Exams 642-902, 642-813, 642-832)

Amazon.com: CCNP Routing and Switching Official Certification Library (Exams…

Cost about $150 give or take.

As I purchase and find more materials, I will update this thread with pricing/materials. As well as reviews on these materials....

Here we go!!

Good luck. Switching was the first exam I studied for the CCNP v 2.0 back in Autumn 2000. Spending time on that subject first was a good launch pad for the other exams and I learned a great deal. I think it's important that Cisco students dont get hung up on routing at the expense of truly spending really significant time trying to understand switching much better. On many platforms the operational demands of switching on IT professionals are higher than they are for router and routing changes. A library of good switching books both old and new will serve you well in your career.
    Chapter 13 Layer 3 High Availability is now finished.

This chapter focuses on the one-hop redundancy protocols. HSRP, VRRP and GLBP. Other than some minor differences between these protocols, they are just about the same. VRRP is the only non-proprietary protocol out of the bunch and GLBP seems to build off of HSRP.

Unfortunately GLBP is not supported on all routers.

The chapter also discusses redundancy with supervisor engines and the different types of configurations you can have. Although the chapter does provide the commands on how to configure this, I'm not sure what Cisco expects you to know for the exam other then just the general idea of how you can configure supervisor engines. Not everyone has access to 4509R and 6500 modular chassis.
    stuh84 wrote: »
    I'm glad I didn't personally, that way it gets the hardest bit out the way first, then everything after seems like childs play compared. I prefer to tackle than put off the hard stuff.

I like the easy stuff first to build up my self confidence. icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif

Turgon wrote: »
    Good luck. Switching was the first exam I studied for the CCNP v 2.0 back in Autumn 2000. Spending time on that subject first was a good launch pad for the other exams and I learned a great deal. I think it's important that Cisco students dont get hung up on routing at the expense of truly spending really significant time trying to understand switching much better. On many platforms the operational demands of switching on IT professionals are higher than they are for router and routing changes. A library of good switching books both old and new will serve you well in your career.

Thank you. I already know that routing is my weakness. Other than reading theories on it, I am not exposed to it on a daily basis enough for it to feel second nature to me.

Switching feels a bit easier because it's a bit more "flat" if that makes any sense...

Besides like you said, work from the bottom up, switching fundamentals is extremely important before you decide to look into layer 3.....