Network Buildengineer

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
any one ever ever worked as a cisco build engineer. Thought it sounded a good job to get some experince, any thoughts?
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Whats the actual job description?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    desinging testing and building cisco network equipment before shipping to customer sites.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    That would be a pretty sweet job I'd say if you can get it. You would probably need more of an Electrical Engineering background rather than an operators background for that type of work. So I don't think I'd qualify.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    when i say building i mean configuring the devices and testing the configuration will meet customer needs.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're doing it at a Cisco Business Partner, it could be a GREAT opportunity.

If you're doing it at a Mega-Corp or large Service Provider, it could be a good place to start and gain some experience. If there is room for growth and promotion, then it's even better.

If it's at a small "services company" where you're throwing the same configuration on the same devices over and over and over and over and over and just changing an IP address or two for each customer, then it would get pretty boring pretty quick.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    a big defence company. who have lots of customers :)
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    So basically working for a consulting firm? I've done it, it's pretty ok. Very different from enterprise though, it's much more customer oriented and a lot higher pace.
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    ColbyG wrote: »
    So basically working for a consulting firm? I've done it, it's pretty ok. Very different from enterprise though, it's much more customer oriented and a lot higher pace.

Dear Lord, yes.

I went from enterprise to a VAR... let's just say I'm at a customer's site doing a server rebuild at almost 10pm.

Expect a very quick pace. You learn as you do, but you won't always have the time to even do that. Some of the time you're just winging it.

Pay is usually pretty good though.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
    ColbyG wrote: »

Not quite so much, its an international company, who deliver network and solutions to the MOD among others. It does not involve much visiting to customer sites. IT seems more involved with receiving a project spec from a customers. Then designing the solution, configuring and testing it meets there requirements, before it is shipped out with Field engineers who would do the actual insulation.

The company deals a lot with cryptographic solutions, although the post is advertise as a CISCO network build engineer position.

I got a guy calling my next week to tell me more about it, The money is not amazing but if I can finish my CCNP, and get CCSP and CCDP out the way while gaining a variety of experience in the next year or so I would be happy.