How not to tell your employee...

dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
... about the interview you are going to?
For people who go to interviews often and who are working full-time, what do you tell your supervisors as to why are you taking time off? Or you just tell them that somethings come up and have to leave.
Any advise on that please.

Comments

• sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    I've just called out sick.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sick, family matters. If you have sick days too and don't need a doctors note, go for that. Most companies cant legally pry into 'family matters' but some could, depending on the leave agreements. Use what is best.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When I've done it, it was usually either I was sick, or had a doctors appointment. Sometimes I'd try to schedule it near my lunch hour and end up coming back a little late from it, usually nobody minded that.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Maybe tell them that some personal things came up and you don't want to discuss them.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Or take a vacation day. In my last job I had my "weekend" in the middle of the week. Worked every saturday and sunday(which sucked) but had ever tuesday and wednesday off so it was easy enough to plan interviews on those days.

If you use a sick day, don't make up some elaborate story. Keep it short and sweet. If you build this elaborate story then you are just creating possibilities to make mistakes. "I was up puking all night." should be good enough. I don't know anyone who would pry more into that. But if they do, suggest a possible cause for it, "I had some chicken the night before that must not have been cooked all the way."

Just don't be going on an interview multiple times a week or even 1 a week. If you already have a full time job, it shouldn't be a huge deal to go on 1 every 2-3 weeks or even less. The more you go on the more stories you need. And it isn't too hard for a boss to catch onto a pattern.

EDIT: The good thing about using the "familiy issue" alliby is that it can easily be a recurring thing. Major family issues are rarely solved in a couple hours or even a whole day.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sick time/doctor's appointment works best. As long as it's not done in x amount of consecutive days, you're golden (otherwise you may have to produce a doctor's note). But a day here, a day there....perfectly cool. I have always tried to space them out for as much as possible, and would hardly ever do multiple interviews on the same day. One is bad enough. :)
  • dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am thinking that after 3 or 4 excuses, I will eventually run out of ideas. I have already made up 2 and I have to make up one more for next week. I guess, I can just tell him somethings come up as I don't have to explain where and why.

No children as of yet, just the wife and that is out of question. Don't even have any vacation time left and I don't mind taking some hours off without pay but it will probably hurt after a while.
    Anyways, will come up with some of the ideas you guys have given. I like the "chicken not cooked" idea. Sounds genuine.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i would say first thing is to ask for a phone imterview if you don't get offered one. or just a call with the person who will interview / manage you in the new job. this way you can ask basic question and in many cases, you can do away with needing an interview to find out its not sutible. plan for monday / friday take a day anual leave or time in lue and claim you want a long weekend. :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    dadaji wrote: »
    I am thinking that after 3 or 4 excuses, I will eventually run out of ideas. I have already made up 2 and I have to make up one more for next week. I guess, I can just tell him somethings come up as I don't have to explain where and why.

No children as of yet, just the wife and that is out of question. Don't even have any vacation time left and I don't mind taking some hours off without pay but it will probably hurt after a while.
    Anyways, will come up with some of the ideas you guys have given. I like the "chicken not cooked" idea. Sounds genuine.

Just be careful. Don't call in and say "I ate some bad chicken." You don't want to know exactly what did it to you. You're just speculating. What you do know is that you spent the entire night puking and didn't get any sleep, and at any time might continue your puking spree.
  • Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are ways you may just have to be creative when doing it. The biggest trick is not to have TOO many over a short period of time.

Sick Day
    Vacation Day
    Dentist appt
    Bank some OT and come in late or leave early (if possible to bank time)
    Personal Day
    Car trouble
    etc.,

If its for a phone interview then I would suggest to try and take it on your lunch break if possible.
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I've done it, it was usually either I was sick, or had a doctors appointment. Sometimes I'd try to schedule it near my lunch hour and end up coming back a little late from it, usually nobody minded that.

yeah, this is exactly wat i've done in the past. i used to leave like 15 minutes early for lunch, and come back 15 minutes later than my normal lunch.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
    Tin_Man wrote: »
    There are ways you may just have to be creative when doing it. The biggest trick is not to have TOO many over a short period of time.

Sick Day
    Vacation Day
    Dentist appt
    Bank some OT and come in late or leave early (if possible to bank time)
    Personal Day
    Car trouble
    etc.,

If its for a phone interview then I would suggest to try and take it on your lunch break if possible.

Mixing it up is essential. But you still need to spread it out. Eyebrows still get raised when you miss at least part of a day each week.
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    I don't give him a reason. He doesn't need one. I just tell him I'm taking off.

If he asks for a reason, cut off one of his fingers. The little one. Then tell him the thumb's next. After that he'll tell you if he wears ladies underwear.