MSBA vs MBA

Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
So i'm applying to a graduate program soon at the university I got my undergrad from, i'm debating on doing MSBA in MIS or just a MBA. I'm not sure what will be better for the long term. The curriculum for the MSBA in MIS is extremely redundant from my undergrad work which is appealing since I know it wouldn't be as hard as an MBA... my long term goal is to become a business analyst or a part of the project management team.

Any advice from those of you with a graduate degree would be appreciated.

Comments

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    There is no more point in getting more education if you have a degree and cannot find work unless you really want to learn then go for it. Remember education does not equal work experience and if you want to become a business analyst then I am sure you are qualified for an entry level BA position with the quals you have now and you having more education and less experience to back that up (over qualified) will slim your chances but if you want to be a Project manager then go for a MBA.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is no more point in getting more education if you have a degree and cannot find work unless you really want to learn then go for it. Remember education does not equal work experience and if you want to become a business analyst then I am sure you are qualified for an entry level BA position with the quals you have now and you having more education and less experience to back that up (over qualified) will slim your chances but if you want to be a Project manager then go for a MBA.

+1

With your BA you have the education, now you just need an in. One of the biggest requirements, at least in my opinion, is to understand the business/environment you are working in.
  • Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□

I'm currently a junior systems admin at the corporate office of a major brokerage company, I have a job and have experience. I'm trying to stray away from being a tech my whole life and am more interested in the business side of IT, a business analyst at my current company is a much higher position than our system admins and work side by side with our project managers.

I have the time, money and drive to pursue a graduate degree so it's not really a question of if I should do it, but more of which degree I should pursue for my long term goals.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dryst999 wrote: »
    I'm currently a junior systems admin at the corporate office of a major brokerage company, I have a job and have experience. I'm trying to stray away from being a tech my whole life and am more interested in the business side of IT, a business analyst at my current company is a much higher position than our system admins and work side by side with our project managers.

I have the time, money and drive to pursue a graduate degree so it's not really a question of if I should do it, but more of which degree I should pursue for my long term goals.

um...you dont need an advanced degree for either one. you do however need to get into a lower-level BA position, and then work your way up to PM.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know you don't need an advanced degree to become a project manager, thats not what I was asking... you don't need brains to become president either but it helps. I've already taken the GMAT and scored 590 which is well above what I need for the school i'm going to be attending, so now i'm just deciding on which program would benefit me the most in the long run.