Not having a drivers license really bites.

ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
Hello

I do not have my drivers license and I am thinking of getting one but in the meantime I have lost so many opportunities because of this. Some jobs that I applied for required a license but transport will not be a problem I can always get a ride from family/friends when needed or a taxi if its urgent right away. Is there anyway that I can convince the employers I tried but no luck so far any ideas?

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello

I do not have my drivers license and I am thinking of getting one but in the meantime I have lost so many opportunities because of this. Some jobs that I applied for required a license but transport will not be a problem I can always get a ride from family/friends when needed or a taxi if its urgent right away. Is there anyway that I can convince the employers I tried but no luck so far any ideas?

Where do you live?

In a big city (NYC etc) having/not having a drivers license might not be such a big deal. In a small city it could be a problem. Just be honest. If they ask do you have reliable transportation just say yes. If they say do you have a drivers license say no. As long as you have a state ID for you checks and can get to work on time it really isn't any of their business.

I do have to ask though, have you taken the test and failed or have you just not taken it at all?
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Never took it.
    Never took it.

You might want to go do that lol!

If you are over 18, the written test is free. I think the driving test is free as well, at least in Ohio.
    yeah thanks buddy I will but in the mean time I got to show employers that transport will not be a problem. So if they ask if I have a reliable transport can I say yes? cause I do even though its not mine lol
    yeah thanks buddy I will but in the mean time I got to show employers that transport will not be a problem. So if they ask if I have a reliable transport can I say yes? cause I do even though its not mine lol

If it were me, I would say I will be at work on time and leave it at that. Like I said, as long as you are there on time it really shouldn't matter how you get there. If the job requires a car or driving that's another story but if you believe the taxi is reliable and you have a back up plan (and a backup backup plan) then I would say go for it. I think this is a non issue but then again I don't know where you live. Where I live, taxi's are hard to come by...
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    a lot of jobs a vehicle is require like where i work now i support 7 sites so at any time i have to be able to travel to them. That may be why you are having issue. Getting to work on time is fine but if something goes down and you need to be at a site right now, they are not going to want to wait for someone to come get you.
    Silentsoul wrote: »
    a lot of jobs a vehicle is require like where i work now i support 7 sites so at any time i have to be able to travel to them. That may be why you are having issue. Getting to work on time is fine but if something goes down and you need to be at a site right now, they are not going to want to wait for someone to come get you.

Yeah but what if I call a Cab and get there or get a ride from a contact? and if I get there within a few minutes?
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My fiancee is from the Lower East Side (Manhattan) and neither her, or dad, or her mom have a driver's license. Her family (and mine) in the other boroughs do have licenses. In fact, me coming from NJ, I have a personal rule NEVER to drive to Manhattan under any circumstances. Between subways and cabs (and walking), I can get to any point of Manhattan realiably without a vehicle. So I understand why you never had a license.

Having said all that, even if you did get a license, you would still have to get to work. If getting to work on time was really that much of a concern, I would tell them you leave your house a hour earlier than normal just to ensure you would be on time for work. If you have to show up to work 30 minutes earlier, that would, in your case, make you look a gazillion times better, because it shows "dedication." That's really what they're looking for and I would stress that and drive the dedication point home to your interviewers.

On a seperate note, getting a DL is easier than A+, unless you have a legitimate fear of getting behind the wheel (if that's the case, I wouldn't bust your balls for that, it happens). You can always get some behind the wheel time at a driving school once you pass your written. If you don't have a legitimate phobia, just get it and get it over with.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't hire someone that can't drive their self around. It might seem harsh but if you are going to work for me I need to know if I need you somewhere you can get there ASAP. What if something goes down at 3:00 AM and I need you on site? You shouldn't have to wait for a friend or call a cab. That is not reliable transportation IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I will but in the mean time I got to show employers that transport will not be a problem.

I will start by saying that I live in a rural town in Mississippi, so I know that I don't fully understand big city living. Around here, though, getting a drivers license is a 1-2 hour process that can be done in a single day. Is that not the case where you live?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xenodamus wrote: »
    I will start by saying that I live in a rural town in Mississippi, so I know that I don't fully understand big city living. Around here, though, getting a drivers license is a 1-2 hour process that can be done in a single day. Is that not the case where you live?

I'm not answering for the OP, but just wanted to give you an idea of how it is in NJ. If you want your license in NJ, you take a written test, a eye test. After you pass, you take a road test that is typically in 3 months after your written. During that time, you get a permit that you can use to practice with an experienced driver OR go to driving school and pay to practice with them/learn how to parallel park, etc. Definitely isn't a 2 hour affair up here. I believe my neighboring states have a similar process.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't hire someone that can't drive their self around. It might seem harsh but if you are going to work for me I need to know if I need you somewhere you can get there ASAP. What if something goes down at 3:00 AM and I need you on site? You shouldn't have to wait for a friend or call a cab. That is not reliable transportation IMO.

word up...especially for IT support pplz, having a license is a must. Cuz you never know if you need to go some where @ the drop of a dime on the off hours. Friends/Family can flake on you, cabs can take forever to get to you. Now if you have a license & access to a car @ anytime then you're good money...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
    Well in my area if you call a taxi it can get to your location within 10 to 20 minutes which is alright not that much of a biggie to me I wouldn't mind paying with my own money.

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Reliable transportation is reliable transportation. If you can guarentee that you can get to the job, it doesn't matter who drives.

Easiest solution here is to get the license. If for some reason you can't, or just refuse to, make sure you at least get a state ID card.

I have never been asked if I have a license, other than identification purposes.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Yeah I would say but employers will not take a risk so I guess I will have to get my license as soon as possible. But then again transportation willl not be a problem I can guarantee you that I will be there hey if I am late fire me. :D:D:D:D
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Reliable transportation is reliable transportation. If you can guarentee that you can get to the job, it doesn't matter who drives.

Easiest solution here is to get the license. If for some reason you can't, or just refuse to, make sure you at least get a state ID card.

I have never been asked if I have a license, other than identification purposes.
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I can think of several good reasons to require a drivers license. The to that first came to mind are:

1) If you ride with family and get in an accident on company property then the employers insurance may end up on the hook for your families medical expenses.

2) Not having a license also means you can't drive company vehicles.
    Thank you all for your feedback.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well in my area if you call a taxi it can get to your location within 10 to 20 minutes which is alright not that much of a biggie to me I wouldn't mind paying with my own money.

The taxi may get there in ten minutes, but I wouldn't want my employee having to rely on that taxi. What happens if the taxi driver takes his sweet ass time? A few times when I've called a cab I had to end up calling back like an hour latter and they somehow forgot I ever called the first time. I would not consider a taxi as reliable transportation.

Like others have said, if you don't have some kind of medical reason then just go get the license. No point in providing an employer a reason not to hire you. Its hard enough finding a job as it is.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.