Linux+ in the coming months

124»

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I've always been glad that I got Server+. Lots of good knowledge to be gained.

I want go ahead and finish what I would call "the Big Five" CompTIA certs. That has always been a goal that I have had in mind. I will be retirement age pretty soon, but I still have to continue to learn because I want to finish my career in some area of IT. And, you certainly can't stop or you'll be buried!

Good luck on the job and the LPIC!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    janmike wrote: »
    Details for new exams posted. CompTIA Linux+

YES!!! At last, finally! I bet everyone in here is as exciting as I am. I am so ready to tackle the book and take the exam this summer.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I want to take this exam, I need to wait becasue Monday I will begin a new job, so I will wait until I sit to do Windows 7 exam (next week) and what the company want from me (if they want me to do other certification).
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

By the way, I am looking around, trying to figure out whether CompTIA new Linux+ is a lifetime cert or not. Could someone verify this for me? Thanks.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    By the way, I am looking around, trying to figure out whether CompTIA new Linux+ is a lifetime cert or not. Could someone verify this for me? Thanks.

It is. They haven't made any changes to that. LPIC isn't though. 5 years before you have to recert. Are you still going for you LPIC-1 in the summer? I think I want to start mine in June or maybe very early July.
    knwminus wrote: »
    It is. They haven't made any changes to that. LPIC isn't though. 5 years before you have to recert. Are you still going for you LPIC-1 in the summer? I think I want to start mine in June or maybe very early July.

It depends whether I like it or not. I never really consider going into the LPIC certs track. I thought it would be good to become certify for life after picking up a few things on Linux administration. Why just pick a book and waste all the good knowledge when you can prove it as well with proper credential, proving your sources. I am planning on taking it in the end of August after I get my CCNA stuff done, but most importantly, I want to get everything done before 2011.
    It depends whether I like it or not. I never really consider going into the LPIC certs track. I thought it would be good to become certify for life after picking up a few things on Linux administration. Why just pick a book and waste all the good knowledge when you can prove it as well with proper credential, proving your sources. I am planning on taking it in the end of August after I get my CCNA stuff done, but most importantly, I want to get everything done before 2011.

Well I mean the Linux+=LPIC-1 now so....
    Varelg just picked up is LPIC-1 yesterday and he has a good summary of the test here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/lpi-rhce-sair/52303-passed-102-a.html#post404631

I know I want to do the Linux+/LPIC-1 and I also have to do it for school (or take 2 classes on linux and push my graduation date further back) so I need to try to get this done before the fall so I can option out of those classes. CCNA, S+, LPIC-1 and OCA get me out of 4, 1, 2, and 2 classes respectively. Certifications FTW!
  • celbiicelbii Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Going for XKO-002. That's what all of my study materials contain. I have a voucher and am scheduled last of May, but I will probably reschedule. Either path you follow, Linux+ admin covers a lot of material!

I am glad we know where we stand now. It has all been irritating in the last several months.

I like using Linux. I just need to get up to speed like a real geek now!
    Agreed! Still have about half a year to do the xko-002. However if I light a fire under my lazy butt and do it by the end of summer I can graduate with my associates degree at the end of summer school period.
    Hopefully Security+ or mcsa next =)
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    celbii wrote: »
    Agreed! Still have about half a year to do the xko-002. However if I light a fire under my lazy butt and do it by the end of summer I can graduate with my associates degree at the end of summer school period.

Yes! the payoff is worth the effort.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I just finished my Redhat course this semester and since I made a 97 in the class I'll be getting a free RHCT voucher. The only problem is that I most likely won't be able to make it to my university where it is offered icon_sad.gif
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    Well I just finished my Redhat course this semester and since I made a 97 in the class I'll be getting a free RHCT voucher. The only problem is that I most likely won't be able to make it to my university where it is offered icon_sad.gif
    The exam costs $400 so I suggest you make every effort to make it.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • celbiicelbii Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes! the payoff is worth the effort.
    I know, the community college im at lets me substitute my certs for comp classes, so If I get it finished in summer I wont have to take linux class in fall semester and that will save me alot of time and money lol and then I can take some other classes instead. Ugh need to get off my lazy butt!
    Hopefully Security+ or mcsa next =)
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I've been wondering this for a little while now...will the current LPI books be used for the new Linux+ or will anything be updated. *hoping that my Sybex LPI book will be enough* icon_redface.gif
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is getting complicated. I wonder how it affects people who passed the Linux+ 2009 beta (XK1-003). Hopefully I get credit for LPIC-1 and the CLA! icon_lol.gif
    After a month I finally got a reply from CompTIA. The XK1-003 won't give you credit for LPIC-1, you have to go through the new two exam format.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    Finally getting back to thinking about LPIC again.

I am going to pick up the new LPIC book when it comes but until then I will use the sygress Linux+ guide (which apparently sucks Amazon.com: LPIC-1: Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Guide: (Exams 101 and 102) (9780470404836):…) and the Linux Admin a Beginners guide. I will start tracking my progress here, again....
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good. Keep going.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just curious, how respected is this cert? I have a little bit of linux in my background but don't use it on a day to day basis (probably not even week to week or month to month). I considered studying up to get this cert just to have it and to add some extra broadness to my background. Do you think it is worth it?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Just curious, how respected is this cert? I have a little bit of linux in my background but don't use it on a day to day basis (probably not even week to week or month to month). I considered studying up to get this cert just to have it and to add some extra broadness to my background. Do you think it is worth it?

Meh...

In some circles it is known by name. In others it is known by association (A+, Net+, Sec+). Now that the Linux+ is the LPIC-1 I think it will be more respected (at least material wise). I think if you want to go into linux for certify in linux to add to an existing skill set it is ok. There are more respected linux certs out there (mainly RHCT/E) but this is an ok start.
    Meh...

In some circles it is known by name. In others it is known by association (A+, Net+, Sec+). Now that the Linux+ is the LPIC-1 I think it will be more respected (at least material wise). I think if you want to go into linux for certify in linux to add to an existing skill set it is ok. There are more respected linux certs out there (mainly RHCT/E) but this is an ok start.

Like I said, its not something I really use much, but I think its great to have the skill. And there isn't a much better way to prove you have a skill than to be certified with it.

I don't really know much about any other linux certs. Could you provide a link?
    here is a good link:

Linux Certification FAQ

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.
    So in a few weeks (more than likely the first week of June) I am going to start making a push to picking up the Security+ and the Linux+/LPIC-1. I think I can pick up the Security+ by the end of June (I started reading Darrils book before but I need to pick it back up tonight). I would like to take the LXO - 001 and 002 at the end of July and August respectively. Anyone down for a study group for either or both?
  • Linux00800Linux00800 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    exampasser wrote: »

Which Redhat course did you take?

So are the xk0-003 books irrevlevant? I bought both the book and the study guide... Guess I'll be purchasing another new book. icon_study.gif
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    I want to study any body who have materials please assist i can't seem to get material for this new xko-003 i always see material for xko-101 and xko-002 i don't know if is not officialy released or not.
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1