Interview for D-LINK Tech Support - EDIT: How it Went!

qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
I recently applied for a telephone tech support for DLink Networks. Crappy job, I know, but I'm in first year college. I figure if I can keep this until I finish college, it would help afterwards.

But yes, anyways, I managed to pass the telephone interview, where he asked me questions about MAC/HTTP/Wireless standards etc....

I was told to come in for a "one hour test" then a "one hour interview"
I was curious if anyone has any advice, or past experience regarding this?

So far, I've decided what I should do is read the FAQ's in the tech support knowledge base of DLINK's website. Also read up the history on the company.

Let me know your advice and your experience with this!

EDIT==========================================
Here's how it went today, I'll try to remember as much as possible.

I arrived there around 8:30, my appointment was for 9:00AM. I waited 10 mins before I went in because I didn't wanna go too early. Anyways when I went in, I was greeted by the receptionist. They told me to sit down.

I waited another 25mins or so approximently.
The interviewer just introduced himself, and handed me a test, and a application to fill out.

Some questions that were on the test - No specific Order.

1. State the seven layers of the OSI model.

2. A customer upgrades from a 10Mb hub to a 100Mb switch. There is no connectivity, when the customer puts back the hub, the network is working again. What is the problem?

3. How do you figure out the IP address in Linux/Win98/Windows 2000/XP/Novell?

4. A customer calls in, you're the fourth technician he has talked to and his problem hasn't been solved, what do you do in this situation?

5. Is Novell Netware considered a peer to peer or a File network system? (Assuming they ment network operating system)

6. What are two ways to configure TCP/IP settings in Windows 9X.

7. You take a working NIC from a windows workstation, install it on a linux, the link light doesn't come on. What is the problem?

After I filled out the test, I filled out the application. Nothing special about that. On to the interview, again random order. Can't remember the specific order that all the questions were asked.

1. You worked at McDonald's, tell me about a situation that involved a mad customer and how did you handle it.

2. You finished your first year of school, what skills do you think you've learned so far.

3. Explain to me what was done in your LAB classes for networking in your first year.

4. Did you touch any cisco wireless equipment in your LAB classes?

5. Do you have any questions?

6. Give an example when you had to help someone with a networking problem.

7. If I were to call Steve (the person who wrote one of my letter of references) what strong points would he say about you and what week points would he say about you?

8. Last year, you worked as a mover, you worked in groups? Was there any reason why you weren't able to make it in for a shift on that day?

Thought someone might be interested if there applying for a tech support job.
World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    D-link's tech support is up in Canada? Or do they just forward calls to you wherever you are? They have a huge building down here in Fountain Valley, California just a few miles from where I live. Linksys isn't too far away from me down in Irvine, CA either.
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    I think DLINK outsources there tech support because I was told to go into a "tech data" building and inside there, I would find DLINK.
  • fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    Tech Data has onsite support for many vendors. I would get familiar with D-Links products, the good and bad.

Why you're there being carted around by the Tech Data people show interest in all IT products. Maybe ask for a tour of the facility, if it's one of their massive warehouses.
    Bump, updated my post :)
    I can't resist icon_lol.gif :

Half-life, Half-life 2, Doom 2, Doom 3, Diablo 2, Age of Empires, Counter Strike.

2. A customer upgrades from a 10Mb hub to a 100Mb switch. There is no connectivity, when the customer puts back the hub, the network is working again. What is the problem?

The customer bought the switch at Fry's Electronics in California. Take it back to the store, stand in line for two hours, yell at a clerk half your age with spiky hair, and exchange it for another switch that won't work either.

3. How do you figure out the IP address in Linux/Win98/Windows
    2000/XP/Novell?

www.myipaddress.com

4. A customer calls in, you're the fourth technician he has talked to and his problem hasn't been solved, what do you do in this situation?

Forward him to a fifth technician because it's your break time, or put him on hold for ten minutes and then "accidently" hang up on him.

5. Is Novell Netware considered a peer to peer or a File network system? (Assuming they ment network operating system)

Neither. Netware an arcane pile of crap. This is why Novell is scraping it in favor of SUSE Linux.

6. What are two ways to configure TCP/IP settings in Windows 9X.

Reboot and reboot, or reboot, reboot, and reboot.

7. You take a working NIC from a windows workstation, install it on a linux, the link light doesn't come on. What is the problem?

Plug the Linux machine in and turn it on, MORON!!

--Courtesy of the Dogbert School of Technical Support icon_lol.gif
    jdmurray wrote:
    2000/XP/Novell?

www.myipaddress.com

I really should of put that, it would of been beter then putting in nothing for novell icon_sad.gif
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Those are funny. You beat me to it, as I had a few similar responses... :D
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Let us know if you get the job.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Good feed back.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    jdmurray wrote:
    I can't resist icon_lol.gif :

Half-life, Half-life 2, Doom 2, Doom 3, Diablo 2, Age of Empires, Counter Strike.

Wrong. Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, Everquest, Everquest2 and City of Heroes!

The customer bought the switch at Fry's Electronics in California. Take it back to the store, stand in line for two hours, yell at a clerk half your age with spiky hair, and exchange it for another switch that won't work either.

The customer forgot to buy the special console cable for their switch. Since it's a Linksys product, and since Linksys is owned by Cisco, they should contact Cisco about getting a proper replacement so they can console their pc into their switch!
    2000/XP/Novell?

www.myipaddress.com

Ok, I can't argue with that one :)

Forward him to a fifth technician because it's your break time, or put him on hold for ten minutes and then "accidently" hang up on him.[

And every single person who's ever worked a help desk and is reading this is nodding their head and grinning evily to themselves, because we've ALL done this.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • TehFlakesTehFlakes Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LoL Wes!!

Good Luck Bro.

i'm trying to get in with Imgram Micro,i know an IT manager there. Should forward me your resume i had to turn down a bell canada tech job cuz i dont have my liscense, assuming you have your's.
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    And every single person who's ever worked a help desk and is reading this is nodding their head and grinning evily to themselves, because we've ALL done this.

Now what would make you say that? icon_twisted.gif
    jdmurray wrote:
    2000/XP/Novell?

www.myipaddress.com
    Ok, I can't argue with that one :)
    Actually, that only works if your aren't NAT'ed behind a router on a private network. In that case, you'd get the IP address of the router's outside interface and not the Windows machine.

I liked the one about hitting up Cisco for a problem with a Linksys product. I bet a few hundred of those calls a week really pisses them off.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jdmurry, dude you are OUT OF CONTROL...i choked on my coffee when i started reading your answers to the questions, thanks for the laugh. icon_lol.gif
    keatron wrote:
    jdmurry, dude you are OUT OF CONTROL...i choked on my coffee when i started reading your answers to the questions, thanks for the laugh. icon_lol.gif
    It's a good thing you didn't spit orange juice into your keyboard instead. You don't wanna hear my solution for fixing that user problem! icon_twisted.gif

And you're welcome. icon_wink.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    jdmurray wrote:
    2000/XP/Novell?

www.myipaddress.com

Nice and simple :)
    Or if they were looking for a long answer. Register on a website forum where someone uses a sig file that flashes your IP back at you, then you can write it down as well as know the browser you are currently using :D

spfdz wrote:

Well only when the instructor wasn't looking. You won't tell him will you icon_eek.gif

Seriously,
    spfdz it was really great of you to post the process you went through. It may be helpful to others for their preparations.

Best of luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Seriously,
    spfdz it was really great of you to post the process you went through. It may be helpful to others for their preparations.

Not a problem, I origionally created this thread hopefully finding others who had the experience but now there will be something for the next people who come searching for this information.
  • sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126

Go buy a Cisco Book!

Why did the customer put back the hub again?

3. How do you figure out the IP address in Linux/Win98/Windows 2000/XP/Novell?

whatismyip.com (NAT problem as discussed B4)

As previously suggested - hang up

Its not live!

2. You finished your first year of school, what skills do you think you've learned so far.

Too little space to decribe all of them !

3. Explain to me what was done in your LAB classes for networking in your first year.

Going to Lab, looking at each other and instructor and that is preety much...

Yes, i climbed a ladder and touch it several times...

5. Do you have any questions?

When can i become the CEO of the company?
    :santa:
  • sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126
    I don't get it?

Anyways, I got the call back from DLINK, I got the job. The interviewer said they were currently revamping the training program so he'll call me once it's done. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats with getting the job! Nice to see someone's hard work pay off! icon_thumright.gif