Resume: please give me your feedback

chaoticjacketchaoticjacket Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I decided to do a different kind of resume than the norm. Just wanted to know would it be acceptable in the IT industry. Kinda wanted it stand out from a stack of resumes.

heres a link to a pdf since i cant attach a pdf http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=400177&t=2039068

Comments

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    It is too small we cannot read it, could you update a bigger copy?
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally, I would drop all of the graphics off your resume. Most employers don't care to see a picture of all applicants and they'll see you at the interview. Basically I just see way too much going on and it looks cluttered because of it. You don't want them to take their focus off of what is important on your resume and the graphics do that.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Drop the graphics.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • chaoticjacketchaoticjacket Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    someone told me it actually looks like a linkedin or facebook lol
    Ok.. now that I can see your resume I'll give a few more bits of advice.

#1. Drop all graphics.
    #2 Change your objective and focus on more of what you are looking for and maybe short term career goals. (Check out some good resume objectives online to compare to)
    #3 Drop the fields of interest. You can tie them in to your objective, but honestly I would be careful about how you word it. Generally if you apply to the position they know you are interested in that field.
    #4 Put your contact information at the top of your resume.
    #5 No need for page numbers. You should have it be no longer than 2 pages though.
    #6 I would bullet point your job duties and keep them concise in your experience.
    #7 No need for your hobbies to be on there. Most hiring managers don't care what you do on your time off of work unless it will impact your work and that would only be brought up in the interview.
    #8 Tie in your volunteer work into your professional experience. It's all experience even though it was volunteer work.
    #9 No need for headers or footers with what you have on your resume.

There's good information on your resume, which is great. Right now, it's a bit of a mess and honestly you don't want your resume to stand out like this. It will turn off many HR people and could eliminate you from consideration. Let your work experience highlight your abilities and have your objective tie it all in together.

Also, I would put your certifications in with your education as well. Or at least have them one right after the other.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    You should drop the graphics etc and it will look nice and short
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Besides dropping the graphics you now have a big white space on 2nd page and the actual info is crowded because of it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What about sticking CompTIA logos and such on it? I asked a teacher and he wasn't sure. So he asked the HR people where he worked and they said go for it.

I never ended up doing it because I wasn't sure. Eventually landed a job with out them.

What do you guys think?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    What about sticking CompTIA logos and such on it? I asked a teacher and he wasn't sure. So he asked the HR people where he worked and they said go for it.

I never ended up doing it because I wasn't sure. Eventually landed a job with out them.

What do you guys think?

I personally would never put graphics on a resume as it detracts from the overall flow of the resume. Unless that changes in the future and becomes a standard technique I would avoid it. All that matters is that you have stated your certifications on your resume.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I personally would never put graphics on a resume as it detracts from the overall flow of the resume. Unless that changes in the future and becomes a standard technique I would avoid it. All that matters is that you have stated your certifications on your resume.

I was thinking like a small logo in the top corner. Since people always say you have 5 seconds to impress someone, the CompTIA logo is much quicker catch of the eye than scanning for ther certificates sections and reading them.

Plus I noticed when reading the terms of using the logo, they suggested it in the resume. That is how my whole question was started.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I was thinking like a small logo in the top corner. Since people always say you have 5 seconds to impress someone, the CompTIA logo is much quicker catch of the eye than scanning for ther certificates sections and reading them.

Plus I noticed when reading the terms of using the logo, they suggested it in the resume. That is how my whole question was started.

I'd probably press that question to those in HR and what their thoughts are on it. I just think that it would detract from my resume. If you can find a way to tactfully add it to your resume you can try to do so. Then go and carpet bomb your resume with it and without it and see which ones get you more hits for interviews.

I just believe that most HR will scan your objectives, then experience before they'll focus on Certs unless they are adamant about a person having them.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would also recommend revising it and then posting it on the thread resume do's and don'ts. Keenon does a really good job monitorring that thread and gives really goo advice.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.