Should I take the 270 at all?

Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm enrolled at a tech school in Raleigh where they include cert testing as well. I've already gotten the MCP by passing the 271 and I'll be testing for MCDST (272) on Tuesday. After that we'll roll onto 680 for MCTS: Win 7 and then A+ following that.

My question is this... I'm going to have the MCP and MCDST after this Tuesday (yeah I'm confident I'll pass, icon_razz.gif) and I was wondering if there was any point in doing the 270 test and if I'd gain anything by it or if I should just skip it altogether. The test isn't on the curriculum to take but I'm thinking about taking it anyways since the information looks relatively the same as the 271 and 272. I just don't want to take it if it'd be a waste of money and time in the long run if having the extra cert would't really do anything for me.

Can anyone let me know what you think? Should I take it or just skip it?
-Michael Palmer
WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It covers a lot of different stuff. I just studied and passed this test, learned a lot of things.

It isn't just limited to XP. A lot of server kind of concepts come out of it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It wouldn't hurt you to have the 270 and a lot of companies still use it. Already having the knowledge for the 271/272 should help you some. If you are planning to go for the MCSA or MCSA I'd recommend taking 270 and the 70-680 as one could be your client and the other your elective.
    Are you working in IT yet?
    If you plan to go the MCITP route and your work doesn't require the 270 cert you could probably skip it.
    You seem to have the right idea about taking cert tests after taking classes dealing with the material.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    It covers a lot of different stuff. I just studied and passed this test, learned a lot of things.

It isn't just limited to XP. A lot of server kind of concepts come out of it.

Ok, there's a lot of stuff that we cover in class, on the IT academy, and in our practice tests that never showed up on the 271 and so far haven't showed up on the 272 stuff as well that I'm studying. I'm assuming that that's the information on the 270 (it's all server oriented). Since the class I'm taking is more geared to teaching people to become system administrators and getting certifications in 2008 server and Cisco certifications after that it'd make sense that the information is there for us.

Anyways, is it something I should take if I want to get a server admin job later down the road? Or should I just keep on my path and get go for this career path of certifications instead: MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Win 7, A+, MCTS: Server 2008 Active Directory, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, MCITP: Server 2008 Admin, Net +, CCENT, CCNA and ignore the MCSA altogether?
    -Michael Palmer
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    It wouldn't hurt you to have the 270 and a lot of companies still use it. Already having the knowledge for the 271/272 should help you some. If you are planning to go for the MCSA or MCSA I'd recommend taking 270 and the 70-680 as one could be your client and the other your elective.
    Are you working in IT yet?
    If you plan to go the MCITP route and your work doesn't require the 270 cert you could probably skip it.

Posted at the same time you did and I do plan to go MCITP eventually (maybe not this year but in a couple of years) so that's what I needed to know.

Thanks.

BTW, not working in IT yet, been doing this recreationally for 10 years so just getting my foot in the door for the professional thing.
    -Michael Palmer