Options

Possible to pass Network+ in 4-6 weeks?

ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
I am hoping to start at WGU on July 1st in the IT Security program. The A+ cert is included in the program, but the Net+ is not. I was thinking of studying the rest of this month and the month of June for my Net+, and then taking the exam in late June or early July. I have time enough to study around 60-90 minutes a day. Is it a reasonable expectation to learn the material in that amount of time? I lean more towards the rusty side of experience, so the material will not be totally new, but I am not sharp either. Also, what materials seem to be the best study for this. Thanks in advance for your comments!
WGU B.S.IT - Security
Currently Enrolled:
LET1, INC1, INT1
Courses Completed:
EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
Courses Transferred:
BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think so. I think thats about how long it took me. As long as your reading every day and practicing, shouldn't be too bad.

Here is the book I used. I found it to be a really good read. Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Certification Study Guide, Fourth Edition (Certification Press) (9780071615389): Glen Clarke: Books

The only other tool I used was the transcender.

Good luck.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Thanks Devilsbane! I want to get all three of the Comptia certs this year while they are still lifetime certs, and figured I will do A+ and Sec+ during my first term at WGU. I figured getting the Net+ done before I started would help relieve the stress of trying to get them all done by the end of the year.

Thanks for the book tip, will check it out!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Thxlbx wrote: »
    I am hoping to start at WGU on July 1st in the IT Security program. The A+ cert is included in the program, but the Net+ is not. I was thinking of studying the rest of this month and the month of June for my Net+, and then taking the exam in late June or early July. I have time enough to study around 60-90 minutes a day. Is it a reasonable expectation to learn the material in that amount of time? I lean more towards the rusty side of experience, so the material will not be totally new, but I am not sharp either. Also, what materials seem to be the best study for this. Thanks in advance for your comments!

You can definitely pass it after 2-3 weeks, especially if you're coming straight out of A+. The CompTIA exams build upon each other so you'll revisit a lot of the concepts that are briefly touched on previous exams, only this time they are a lot more thorough. CompTIA's certifications are pretty much entry level... they're a mile wide and an inch deep when it comes to material coverage. I definitely notice the difference when switching over to a more vendor specific track like Cisco's which are a mile deep and an inch wide.

I recommend Lammle's book (that's what I used). Drill the concepts and you'll be good to go.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I definitely notice the difference when switching over to a more vendor specific track like Cisco's which are a mile deep and an inch wide.

The questions go from "What type of cable would you use for xxx" with CompTIA to a 3 paragraph explanation of the setup when going to a Microsoft test. They give you a ton of information that you don't need just to get in your head.
    Decide what to be and go be it.