CCVP or 6 months of college?

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
Well, I have $3000 that can either go to my first 6 months of college, or buying a few good routers/switches/phones/vwics/cue stuffs and some books to launch me into CCVP with wheels blazing.

I'm looking to get a job ASAP, and I am very dedicated with my studies. I could probably be VP by the end of this year if I concentrated on it instead of college. What would be more valuable do yah think? I hate to put of my degree if it is not worth it.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do you have any real world experience with Cisco VoIP? If not a degree would probably help your job search more than a CCVP.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have any college credit at all? You could get at least the first year of a two year degree done with that amount of money (very easily). At my local community college, you could get the entire thing done (provided you get used books and maybe borrow some from the library and only go full time, and not over time).

I suggest for you to get your degree going rather than a CCVP. You could also move that money to move somewhere else. The job market isn't as bad everywhere. There are some good spots.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have the first year of college done at my community college. However those classes are not my thing and I am better off at WGU. 3k for 6 months is nothing compared to other options.

Yes a degree would help me more, that is obvious in all corners. Trouble is noone can get a BS in IT Network Administration in 6 months, only 1/8 closer to it. If I was just 6 months away from the degree I would finish that any day.

So knowing that, is it still better to stick with the degree? I'm leaning towards CCVP.

I fully plan on getting my degree eventually. But I need a job now. After VP I will be taking class full time if I choose that route.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You didn't answer my question. Do you have any experience? If not the CCVP isn't really going to help you get a job. Search though the treads here and you will find the stories.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    You didn't answer my question. Do you have any experience? If not the CCVP isn't really going to help you get a job. Search though the treads here and you will find the stories.

1 Year experience and counting as a network technician.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    I have the first year of college done at my community college. However those classes are not my thing and I am better off at WGU. 3k for 6 months is nothing compared to other options.

I think you should try to finish you A.S degree. I think that will be more helpful for your career search.
    knwminus wrote: »
    I think you should try to finish you A.S degree. I think that will be more helpful for your career search.

Yeah but 3 years is not exactly ASAP. I am looking for a job now, and I would like to be able to move up into a voice position I enjoy while I am in college.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chmorin wrote: »
    1 Year experience and counting as a network technician.
    How much hands on Cisco experience? How much voice (and Cisco Voice) experience?

The CCVP isn't a short term guaranteed fix to anything -- so I'd say Education is still probably the better investment.

A CCNP with solid Cisco Networking experience can leverage that and a CCVP with no Cisco Voice Job Experience into a job where they can use their Voice Certification Knowledge and start building their Voice Experience.

A CCNA working in an environment that runs Cisco Voice hardware and software can get an opportunity to gain Cisco Voice experience -- and going for the CCVP over the CCNP as their first Cisco professional level certification is a good career move if they think or already know they want to do Cisco Voice in the future.

Tossing any Cisco Professional Level Certification on top of a CCNA without Cisco Networking Job Experience to "back it up" doesn't really do all that much to help you find a "Cisco Job." Starting work on the CCNP would help keep your Cisco knowledge and skills sharp for interviews as you hunt down that first elusive "Cisco CCNA Job."

Doing the CCNA:Voice Certification might cause a Cisco Business Partner or two to look at your resume.... and is a much smaller investment than the CCVP.

Check out some of these "greatest hits" in the CCVP forum:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/29275-without-expriance-pass-ccvp.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/51533-odds-employment.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/31904-why-only-dozen-ccvp-openings.html

Ah -- here we go. Next to my "we've interviewed CCVPs that couldn't make a phone call even if we gave them a pocketful of change and access to a pay phone" -- this quote from this thread is probably my 2nd best CCVP comment.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/19545-ccvp-next-best-thing.html
    mikej412 wrote: »
    it was a couple years back that Business Partners would grab any CCNA who could spell CCVP and throw them into a voice install.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/25407-minimum-required-voip-job.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/26501-what-ccvp-knows.html

And I'll finish off the greatest hits with the link to the CCVP FAQ if you haven't been scared out of the idea of pursuing the CCVP.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/29111-ccvp-faq-please-read-before-posting.html
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    I appreciate the wary words of warning, but I work with the big boy unity and call manager at my current workplace and am currently working my way into more voice projects. So yes, I am getting voice experience.

If I go for my CCVP I would plan on doing it the correct way, and get all of the proper equipment and phones from many vendors.

I am working with an entire cisco network as well at my job, nothing non-cicso exists. I am having to slide my way into the ability to work with stuff, but it is progress.

I take my CCNA: Voice certification on Thursday, the CCVP idea did not just fly out of my rear. I think about this things in detail. It was suggested to me that taking my CCVP before focusing on college may benefit me in getting a job in what I want. Where is my degree will come into play years in the future, a CCVP could help me get with a cisco partner sooner, or move up in one if my CCNA: Voice lands me a job with one.

As of right now, that is the plan. Pass my CCNA: Voice, Pursue a job with a cisco partner related to voice, then either pursue CCVP if I see opportunity for improvement or a degree if I need to rack up a few years of experience first.

Seems logical to me.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why not use your CCNA + past experience to look for a job? It's very possible that you will touch voice gears in your work and continue your jouney to CCVP.

Good luck!