Options

Correct Term

bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi peeps, I am writing a report to compare biometrics to usernames/pws and smart cards. However, I want the correct term that can collectively descibe both usernames/pws and smart cards together. I was thinking of biometrics and traditional authentication methods. Any suggestions?icon_silent.gif

Thanks in advance.
Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That sounds good. The books actually group them as what you know, what you have, and what you are (username/pw, smartcard, and biometrics) This could be another way to get your point across.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you mean something along the lines of 1 form and 2 form authentication? (1 being something you know (password) 2 being something you know and something you have (password and a rsa token).

Also, my understanding (which could be wrong since I've never used one) is that once you enable it, it changes the windows password to some random strong password and that the card is used instead of a password. If thats the case, you can't really use a password and a smart card together.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It sounds more like he's just generally grouping them together not using both together.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    If thats the case, you can't really use a password and a smart card together.

Smart cards are often (always?) used in conjunction with PINs.

Knowledge-based/password-based and possession-based are options. "Traditional" would probably get the point across for passwords. Are you including smart cards in there? I personally wouldn't consider smart cards to be traditional...
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    It sounds more like he's just generally grouping them together not using both together.

Yeah I only want to have a term that groups both together not using them simultaneously.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I don't understand the logic behind grouping them together in the first place? I understand why you want to, but I don't understand why you think they should be. Explain.

Nowadays, even biometrics could be called traditional. If you're going to leap as far as to group passwords and smart cards, biometrics could just as easily be grouped. Don't jump too far ahead on your logic or your reader might miss the point. Just say "Comparison of Biometric authentication methods versus Other Authentication Methods" or something similar. That's about the only way I can see those two being grouped... just saying "other".
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree that Smart cards, biometrics, and usernames should be kept in their seperate catagories. Putting Smart cards and usernames together in a single one may be... funky.

On a side note, I'm now logging in with my Smart Card everyday since I rejoined the blue. I'm not used to it, but hey, it works.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA