Best path to MCSE, then MCITP ?

Hello all,

I am currently on MS track, and I want to know the best path to acquire MCSE then MCITP. I have both A+ & Network+ btw.

Professional advice would be apperciated, Thank you icon_thumright.gif

620 => MCSA icon_cheers.gif
297 or 298 or 285 => MCSE icon_cheers.gif

upgrade to MCITP:EA

649 => Done icon_cheers.gif

Am I missing anything?

In terms of 297 or 298 or 285, which one is easier or better(use alot in real life) to take?

Thanks again!!!

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you should do the 680 (win7 client exam). Other than that I think you path looks solid.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    knwminus wrote: »
    I think you should do the 680 (win7 client exam). Other than that I think you path looks solid.
    +1 there. I took the Vista exam but I'm planning to take 70-680 as soon as I'm done with my MCITP:EA. The vista exam basically covers the home user and the 7 exam covers an enterprise environment.
    As far as those 3 tests to choose from, which would benefit you more for where you're at now and where you plan to be down the road? As far as which is hardest I've heard it was the 285 but if that's what you currently work with a lot then that one would benefit you most.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Thx for both knwminus & earweed. Do you mean I should take 680 instead of 620 ?
    It would probably be better. Like I said the 70-620 is geared more towards the personal user whereas the 70-680 is geared towards enterprise.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    It would probably be better. Like I said the 70-620 is geared more towards the personal user whereas the 70-680 is geared towards enterprise.

Well, I am reading the Windows 2008 Server Certifications and Exams Overview and I do NOT see 680 serve as an upgrade exam from MSCE to MCITP:EA. However, the upgrade exam on Microsoft website does include 680 (but not 620 this time).

I am a bit confused now, need help! icon_wink.gif
    The first post referenced is from 2007, so 70-680 wouldn't be mentioned. The second says windows 7 or other qualifying exams. 70-620 will satisfy the client requirement. I was just referring to which would be best. As to which is easiest, Vista (70-620) is easier but Vista is not as widely used as either Windows 7 or Windows XP in an enterprise environment.
    Cool, thx earweed.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tearofs wrote: »

upgrade to MCITP:EA

649 => Done icon_cheers.gif

Very imformative. Easy to understand.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you mean I should take 680 instead of 620 ?

Do you work or will work more with Vista or 7 boxes? It makes sense to me to take the test of the material that you are most exposed to.
  • MicernestMicernest Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have taken both 620 and 680 and earweed is on point. It all depends on what you want or what you are handling. If you are a newbie and not familiar with servers and enterprise then go for Vista. Most of the questions from windows 7 exams needs you to know alot from the server side.
    Micernest wrote: »
    I have taken both 620 and 680 and earweed is on point. It all depends on what you want or what you are handling. If you are a newbie and not familiar with servers and enterprise then go for Vista. Most of the questions from windows 7 exams needs you to know alot from the server side.
    Exactly why I jumped at taking Vista. My first MS exam, no server experience. I took it as my client exam at WGU and they only offered Vista as the client exam (between XP and 7) for a few months.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I also think you should take The Windows 7 exam

The 285 is a good exam and would also give you MCSA Messaging but that exam is going to retire at the end of October so you need to be quick.

Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certification Exam Development
    Thx for all the reply. I think I am going for Win 7.

In terms of 297 or 298 or 285, 297 will be my pick. Anyway, My point to learn the whole thing on a enterprise level.
  • shusainshusain Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good learning skills, keep it up i like the way you describe.

Shahid
    A+, N+, MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, MCTS, MCITP
  • Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

I am currently on MS track, and I want to know the best path to acquire MCSE then MCITP. I have both A+ & Network+ btw.

Professional advice would be apperciated, Thank you icon_thumright.gif

Thanks again!!!

Don't you need the 299 as well, before getting the MCSE?
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't you need the 299 as well, before getting the MCSE?

Nope, 299 is one of the security electives for MCSA/E:Secutiry
    Decide what to be and go be it.