What can I seriously look to expect with these certs?

Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm currently enrolled in an IT academy in NC and on their curriculum is testing for certifications. I've already tested and passed the 271 and gained the MCP, this Tuesday I'll be taking the 272 and gain the MCDST.

After that I've got MCTS: Win 7 (680) and A+.

I've got 0 years in actual professional experience however I've been doing all of this for 10+ years now recreationally. With that being said, what can I expect as far as a job and pay range? I'm curious so I can go ahead and start looking for some possible jobs to place resumes in for in the future.
-Michael Palmer
WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come

Comments

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    You may want to volunteer to get some real world I.T experience while you are doing your I.T certifications because it will help alot. Without any I.T experience and Certifications it is really hard to get a job so my advice would be to contact some local IT or non IT companies and offer to do some work experience who knows it could turn into a full time permanent paid position.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You may want to volunteer to get some real world I.T experience while you are doing your I.T certifications because it will help alot. Without any I.T experience and Certifications it is really hard to get a job so my advice would be to contact some local IT or non IT companies and offer to do some work experience who knows it could turn into a full time permanent paid position.

I acutally thought about doing that already but was hoping to gain an interview somewhere else soon. Unfortunately I'm unemployed right now after an incident where I was leaving one job to join another organization. While on notice I got a call from the other place that they weren't going to need me becuase their client cancelled the contract at the last moment.

So I'm stuck unemployed because the job I had couldn't work me past my notice as a replacement had already been hired and I can't draw unemployment because according to them "I left on my own accord to persue another job and therefore work was available." So I need a job ASAP that pays, icon_sad.gif.

I've got an interview at Best Buy this week where I've put into to try and join their Geek Squad department so maybe that'll get me somewhere. But I've wanted to put in applications and resumes at other places just to be on the safe side in case they find me "over qualified" just because I've got certifications that their other employees might not have.
    -Michael Palmer
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Congratulations for getting an interview, please do tell us how it goes and a lot of Geek Squad people have at least a Comptia A+. Try grabbing your phone book and contacting local IT companies and ask if they have any available open jobs.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What part of NC? Salary wise, you will likely not be paid well upon entry into IT. Most of us aren't. But after that first year or two you should expect to earn more. My first IT gig was $10/hr... which might have been slightly above average back in late 2000, a little after the IT bubble burst.

You should be able to land something helpdesk or front-line deskside support... but you have to be open to anything... meaning sucking it up and accepting short term contract gigs and temp to perm stuff, get that experience level up.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I live in Rocky Mount but I'm open to commuting anywhere within a 50 mile radius (so Raleigh, Greenville, Wilson, that kind fo thing).

Thanks for the comments folks, it's helping me get my head straight on this.
    -Michael Palmer
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you checked out the hosiptals? I know Greenville is always hiring IT guys.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Larger hospitals always have an IT staff and most have a large turnover. If they're not hiring now take a GOOD resume in to the HR dept.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, check craigslist. I got my current job from craigslist
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.