Question about A+, Net+, & Sec+

josdmyerjosdmyer Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been looking through the post and people are saying that these are lifetime cert, but then others are saying that is changing. Which is it and if it is changing how long until they won't be lifetime cert?

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely yours;

josdmyer

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Those taken before Dec 31, 2010 are lifetime. After that you have to retake the highest one (Sec+) or take a bridge exam every 3 years.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • josdmyerjosdmyer Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Those taken before Dec 31, 2010 are lifetime. After that you have to retake the highest one (Sec+) or take a bridge exam every 3 years.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Sincerely yours;

josdmyer
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Earweed's response is spot on but here's the link to the new policy CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy
  • josdmyerjosdmyer Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    Earweed's response is spot on but here's the link to the new policy CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

Thank you for your help and link. It was useful.

Sincerely yours;

josdmyer
  • GeronimoGeronimo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »

Are you sure about this? I am understanding that we would have to take the most current exam of each cert held (A+, Net+, and Sec+), or complete continuing education.

From CompTIA: "Effective January 1, 2011, all new CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications will be valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. After three years, the certification must be renewed. This can be done by passing the most current exam for a respective certification or by participating in CompTIA’s upcoming new continuing education program, which will allow individuals to keep their skills current and their certification up to date without retesting."

I'm just looking for clarification, as I am prepping to take the Net+ followed by the Sec+ in the next few months.

Thanks.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I couldn't find the link but if you have A+, Net+, and Sec+ you'd only have to take Sec+ or you can do the CEU's which entails a lot of paperwork and you would have to pay CompTIA to take the CEU route.
    If you take Sec+ before Dec. 31 you're set for life.
    I don't know how other CompTIA certs are affected by this policy.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmm... looks like I'm going to end studying for and taking the Net+ before the end of the year then. Originally I had planned to get settled into a DST job somewhere for a year and a half or so and save up some money to go back to school where I'd get a three month course to get MCTS: Server 2008, MCITP 2008, Net+ but if the Net+ is going to expire every 3 years after this year... It'd make more sense monitarily just to take it now and get it out of the way and do the other stuff later.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come