Where to start (newbie) (Please help)

paulntysmompaulntysmom Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok I don't have any computer education behind me (self taught) nor do I have certifications, so finding a job in the computer field is really hard. I have fixed many of friends, family and etc computers and would like to pursue my passion for computers so I can actually obtain a job doing what I love. My problem is where to start with the certifications.

I have signed up for the associates degree in information technology for the fall of 2005 but was thinking about becoming certified while going through school.

What certifications should I start with? Do I actually have to have work experience to obtain these certifications or can anyone do it?
How much does each test cost (average) and what would be the best materials to obtain for passing the test. I am a newbie to all this so any information would be helpful.

I was thinking of starting off on A+ Os and Core and then moving on to MCDST Is that the right route to go?

Please help :) I would appreciate you time :)
Colleen (Mom to paul n ty)

Comments

• determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    hey paulntysmom,

Welcome to Techexams.net

I guess where you start with certifications really depends where you want to go later. It is always a good idea to start with the CompTia A+, Network+ and Security+ certifications. Those are for life and you will never need to recertify. CCNA is always a good idea as well and then depending on which field you want go to from there. Security and Wireless are the fields to be in right now to get a job. A good college education is definately helpful.

Look through some of the forums on this site about the different certifications and read through the threads. It is very helpful to be a member here. When I went for my Network+ certification this site and its studyguides help me to obtain the cert. You can also look at the certification vendors websites like CompTia and Cisco.

STAY AWAY FROM BRAINDUMPS AND **** SITES!!!!!!!!!!
    IT WILL NOT HELP YOU IN OBTAINING A JOB AND JUST MAKES EVERYBODY ELSE LOOK BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise good luck and ask if you have questions.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    How much does each test cost (average) and what would be the best materials to obtain for passing the test.

Welcome to the site!

Prometric

Vue

Check out the prices for the test you are looking for at the above sites. You may apply for a voucher:
    http://www.getcertify4less.com/techexams.asp?REFID={18567D5A-E590-4C16-831F-A9A584E52DD4}
    which may save you a little bit of money.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Depending on what you know right now, I would do MCPs & work at MCSA. The comptias (except SEC+) are kind of a joke. I know they are suppose to be for newbies but I would cut that option right out & go for something worthwhile. If you want to impress an employer, flash an MCSA/MCSE & CCNA/CCNP style certs at them. This is all considering you know some things right now. gl
  • paulntysmompaulntysmom Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the great advice so far :) I am glad I found this forum. It will guide me through this process. I have been doing lots of reading :)

Couple additional questions. When I sign up for a test (what is the day count to when the actual test is) example week, two weeks, etc. How much study time should I give myself before scheduling test. Also what books are going to be the most useful for me as far as A+ OS & Core ?

I bought A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide Michael Myers, but not sure what else to get. Please advice :)

Colleen
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    The All-In-One is probably the best for A+. Also try and get copies of the Operating Systems and practice with them--installing, working with them, etc. Meyers's AIO has some good chapters on them. That's what I did.

You can schedule the exam for whenever you want, but I would wait until you are fairly confident about having the knowledge before doing it. If you schedule and then have second thoughts, you can reschedule it.

After you have studied the exam guide, then take some practice exams to see where you stand. TechExams has some here on this site and you can go to http://www.mcmcse.com/forums/exams/ for some practice.

You should be getting at least 90% on practice exams. That's a pretty good indication that you are ready for the real thing.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki