Straight out of high school

JGOMJGOM Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi my names julian i just finished high school and i would really like to go in to the information's technology field i am studying for an a++ cert. And wondering if this is the correct path to start off i want a great paying job in the field i love .

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that you should study the material and determine whether you know it well or not. A+/Net+/Sec+ are expensive certs so choose wisely. I would probably go with A+ and Sec+ then move over to vendor certs.

I think you best bet is to go to school and try to find a part time job/volunteer/ work on pcs. How much experience do you have working on PCs (in any capacity)?
  • JGOMJGOM Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea i used to work on pc's for the neighbors basic stuff like setting up they're routers setting up new computers, erasing viruses and maintaining there computers but other than that nothing ... I really wanna go in the right direction for a well paying career
    JGOM wrote: »
    Yea i used to work on pc's for the neighbors basic stuff like setting up they're routers setting up new computers, erasing viruses and maintaining there computers but other than that nothing ... I really wanna go in the right direction for a well paying career

Invent something or marry rich lol!

Seriously though, well paying career is what everyone is after. Be very good at something people are willing to pay for. I was looking at this program the other day and a woman made 40 million dollars off of a dog walking/grooming/food service. People were willing to pay for it. As far as entry level, you aren't going to get rich over night (unless you do something in paragraph 1 :) ) so you main focus will be learning the technical AND business side of IT. Just because you are a geek doesn't mean you can work on a helpdesk. Try to get a few vendor certs because they will help you get you resume noticed. MAKE A LINKEDIN account and start networking asap. How were your grades in HS? Any teachers know anyone who can help you out? Knock on doors and start making some phone calls.
  • JGOMJGOM Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well my hs grades were overall good . And as far as teachers only my web design class , i know it wont b easy but i just wanna know if im taking the right steps or is programmer a better path ??
    Nobody is going to be able to make that choice for you. You are going to need to make that choice for yourself. What do you see yourself doing?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    An A+ won't get you a good paying job, it can help you get your foot in the door. I got my A+ right out of highschool and all it got me was an interview for Best Buy, which i declined. For any high paying job, college is the way to go or learn a more specialized IT skill than just desktop support.

Most of all, do what you enjoy doing.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Go to a community college and get an associate in something IT related. Maybe networking or support?

That's my two cents.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Go to a community college and get an associate in something IT related. Maybe networking or support.

I agree especially if you can get a part time job at their IT department. In this market it's all about experience and considering you just got out of HS you probably still live at home (Mom and Dad's). This actually would work out to your favor because if you can get some crap job in the field while in school you'll end up with a degree/diploma/cert plus experience which is key. Take from me it's soooo much easier if you can raid someone elses fridge during this whole process.