Options

Passed 70-271 today ... MCDST certified

TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well I finally finished this thing off, and let me say THANK GOD! I've been eager to put it behind me and now I can finally start tackling my MCSE.

About the test, well it wasn't too bad .. A lot of questions on Installations from RIS, Power Management, Access to network resources, and troubleshooting network connectivity (WINS, DNS, DHCP), etc.

Scored an 811 and I used Exam Cram 2 book which seemed to cover most of the topics just fine. The author (Dan Balter) was much better than the author of the Exam Cram 2 for 70-272 which I thought was inadequite.

Anyways, going to take a week break before starting to study again. Thanks everyone for their help, I spent a lot of my time going over the 270 technotes and scored decent on the practice test here for that one. :)

Comments

• Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Congrats! :)
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats! Did you make the Charter club(first 5000)? I have got to finish mine as well. I'm just dying to find time for the other half of MCDST. I put my MCSA first, and don't have time for that either. Someday.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Ricka182 wrote:
    congrats! Did you make the Charter club(first 5000)? I have got to finish mine as well. I'm just dying to find time for the other half of MCDST. I put my MCSA first, and don't have time for that either. Someday.....

I'm not sure about the 5000 thing, I guess I will find out in about 5 days when M$ gets the results from Prometric. If I do, I will let you know.

Hopefully you can find time to finish it, you might as well since you got the first half done :)

Thanks for the grats guys :D
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats with the new cert! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Your probably an early achiever!
  • Options
    Ricka182 wrote:

Hi Ricka182, I just wanted to tell you that I received my certificate yesterday in the mail and I did in fact make the Charter club. I don't know what special thing this does for me, but the certificate was cool none the less.

Just thought I would let you know icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    TeKniques wrote:
    Ricka182 wrote:

Hi Ricka182, I just wanted to tell you that I received my certificate yesterday in the mail and I did in fact make the Charter club. I don't know what special thing this does for me, but the certificate was cool none the less.

Just thought I would let you know icon_cool.gif

Cool. I'll get my MCDST soon enough, maybe I'll make the charter club as well....congrats again!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    TeKniques wrote:
    Well I finally finished this thing off

Congrats! :D
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    quest_to_learnquest_to_learn Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good luck for the next cert
  • Options
    allylaurenteallylaurente Member Posts: 131
    Well Done..

Hope i can passed that too. Im starting to read books on 70-271 next week.
    "...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
  • Options
    ynajiynaji Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Greetings:

Congratulation. I am so happy for you. Keep the good work.

I am new in the fields and I would like to ask about the materials that you used during the preparation. this is my first preparation to a certification. I would like to know How to start

Please provide feedback

Thank you

Sincerely,

NTA
  • Options
    Thank you all for the kind words. I hope that I can return them when you all pass as well :D
    ynaji wrote:
    I am new in the fields and I would like to ask about the materials that you used during the preparation. this is my first preparation to a certification. I would like to know How to start

For the MCDST track I used the Exam Cram 2 books and studied the 70-270 technotes on this site that cooresponded to the Microsoft objectives for the two exams. There actually is a lot of rollover, just not as much administration stuff that is covered in the 270 exam. I think the MS books are overkill, they are literally 3 times the size of the Exam Cram books. I also use Win XP everyday and also support end users here at work a lot too.

As for practice tests. I used the crappy Measure Up ones that came with the exam cram books. If you want good practice tests I would recommend Transcender, it has the most realistic look and feel as to what the actual exam will look like. I also took the 70-270 practice test here which was very good.

Good luck and welcome!