Recent QOS Book

brocbroc Member Posts: 167
I know that everybody recommend the QOS Exam Certification Guide and I read it myself when I was studying for the ONT but it's quite an "old" book.

Now, I know QOS didn't change that much so that's not a big problem but I came across this book:

Amazon.com: Deploying QoS for Cisco IP and Next Generation Networks: The Definitive Guide (9780123744616): Vinod Joseph, Brett Chapman: Books

and I was wondering if anybody knew it and would recommend it?

I'm also considering getting this one to get a bit more knowledge about QOS on 6500 switches:

Cisco Catalyst QoS: Quality of Service in Campus Networks: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Froom, Mike Flannagan, Kevin Turek: Books

Any opinion on this one?
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Cant comment on those two, but I would add this one to your list :-

Amazon.com: End-to-End QoS Network Design: Quality of Service in LANs, WANs, and VPNs…
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The Deploying QoS for Cisco IP and Next Generation Networks: The Definitive Guide book looks like it would be an excellent read. Looking through the table of contents it doesn't seem like it would be the best source for the actual QoS exam though. It seems to cover a lot broader area of topics while being an even shorter (page wise) book. Glancing at the table of contents it looks like the newer book has about three pages dedicated to policing and shaping compared to a sixty page chapter in the certification guide.

These are just basic observations without reading the new book though. Maybe someone here has read the book and can give some actual insight.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Cant comment on those two, but I would add this one to your list :-

Amazon.com: End-to-End QoS Network Design: Quality of Service in LANs, WANs, and VPNs…

I've got this one already :)
    The Deploying QoS for Cisco IP and Next Generation Networks: The Definitive Guide book looks like it would be an excellent read. Looking through the table of contents it doesn't seem like it would be the best source for the actual QoS exam though.

I should have mentioned that I'm not looking at it for the QOS exam itself, I don't plan on taking it. It's more for real world use and for the CCIE Voice.

I do agree that it looks like a good read especially because the content is different than the QOS Study Guide.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If its not for the exam then I'd definitely give the newer book a read. Hopefully it is updated for the new HQF stuff which the old book is not. It would be cool to see the configuration examples in both IOS and IOS-XR also for me since I haven't seen XR yet.

Make sure you give us a good review if you do check it out!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    If its not for the exam then I'd definitely give the newer book a read. Hopefully it is updated for the new HQF stuff which the old book is not. It would be cool to see the configuration examples in both IOS and IOS-XR also for me since I haven't seen XR yet.

Make sure you give us a good review if you do check it out!

I haven't see XR yet either and have very little prospect in working with it in the next year but it would be nice to see the comparison with IOS.

I haven't quite decided yet but will probably give it a try. I'll make sure to write a good (or bad...) review once I've read it.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How about the QoS SRND on Cisco.com? Be sue to grab that too (if it's not already in your arsenal).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT