New to the field

ynajiynaji Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jason. I am taking MCDST class. I read that you guys are taking the Exam. I hope you all do well
Iam new in the field and I would appreciate any suggestion or tips to help me prepare to pass the exam

thanks

Please provide feedback.

Jason
NTA (Network Technology Assistant)
Wasington DC

Comments

• princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    You are welcome to this helpful site. I believe those that have taken the MCDST exams will soon respond to your request and/or the webmaster
    Knowledge is life
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hi Jason and welcome,

Based on your subject I assume this is your first certification exam. Other will be able to give you more specific advice for the MCDST exam, but here are some general tips:

- Depending on how much and the kind of material you receive in your class, get a book. The Microsoft Press books are usually best for MS exams.

- Make sure you have access to a computer running Windows XP, preferably one you can mess around with as much as you need.

- Get a good set of practice questions (stay away from anything that says 'braindumps' or 'actual/real exams' etc). Unfortunately we don't have any free MCDST question online at this time, but other may point you to some. You can also download the demos of commercial practice tests and if your budget allows it, buy a professional set such as Transcenders.

- Don't hesitate to ask any questions in the forums (no need to post them twice though ;) )

Good luck!
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Greetings Jason. I've recently passed MCDST(missed charter club a only a few..). I would recco viewing the M$ Free Training course for MCDST, which you can check out, here. It covers both exams, and should give a pretty good understanding of what to expect. Also, be sure to check out the objectives. Just click on each exam, and scroll towards the bottom. That's pretty much all I used to pass. I do have an XP machine I can use to practice on, which greatly helps, as you can see the results of doing something the correct way, and the incorrect way. For books, check out these, noticably topped by the two Webmaster has recco'ed, the M$ press books. I was using Sybex for my MCSA studies as well, but I do like the M$ press book for 218, so I may be switching to M$ press myself primarially. As far as practice questions, right now, they're hard to find. I was able to dig up a few though, check these out :

Transcender
    CertQuest
    ChinaTag271??
    ChinaTag272??
    Cert21 for 271
    Cert21 for 272

Now I believe most of those you can take online, some you may have to register for. I've used Transcender full products before, and I think they are amongst the best, however I wouldn;t spend that money on MCDST, especially when you can get training free from M$. Either way, this should push you off to a good start. Good Luck!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Greetings, I recently made MCDST last Saturday to be exact. If this is your first ms exam, it does has a lot to know. If you have a XP computer use if as a real life resource. Also, look at you settings in IE and OE, memorize the Outlook stuff. You should do fine.

Self-study is much harder than going to classes but since I work I have to do self-study. Im now studying for MCSA so its a never ending task for me.

Study hard and you will do fine. Also take a job once you are MCDST even if its low 30s annually.
    What next?