Any tips for this resume

boileboile Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I am new to this forum. I have just received my CCNA. I have been working at a small charity for the last three/four months. So, now I have prepared this resume for myself. I would appreciate your comments and advice on my resume.
Plz let me know if I need to change it.

Thanks in advance

start
NAME................................

CCNA, A+, CCENT, LPIC-1

Address...........................................................

Objective:- Professional IT technician experienced with Cisco routers and switches. Additional experience includes several client/server Operating Systems (Linux, windows 98/ xp / 7 /server-2000, interpersonal skills with excellent problem-solving skills.

EDUCATION:

Bachelor of Computer Science
XYZ University, xxxxxx, xxxx, xxxxxx

CERTIFICATION:
  • CCNA(Cisco Certified Network Associate)
  • CCENT/CCNA ICND1 (Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician)
  • A+ CompTIA (PC Technician)
  • LPIC-1 (Linux Professional Institute Certificate)
  • Currently studying for CCNP ( Cisco Certified Network Professional)
Technical skills:- (Should I include this!!!!!!!!)
  • Assigning ACLs on the Cisco routers and implementing securities on the switches.
  • Troubleshooting and fixing networking issues.
  • Installing and Managing Active Directory Domains and Trees.
  • Well-versed in several Operating Systems(win-xp / win -7 / Linux )
  • Configuring Group Policy Objects and Security.

WORK EXPERIENCE:

IT support (This is a volunteer position, a part-time job)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Feb 2010 – Present

· Installs operating system software, anti-virus software and other applications.
· Duties include troubleshooting hardware / software issues on a day-to-day basis.
· Maintains and administers the use of LAN, PCs and the internet connection.
· Configures & installs new & refurbished computing equipments for deployment.
· Responds to problems regarding various software issues and account problems.

User Support Technician
XYZ University Jan 2009 – Oct 2009
(I worked at my schools computer lab when I was a student)
  • · Communicated electronically and in person with the students experiencing technical difficulties.
  • · Consulted user guides technical manuals and other documents to research and implement solutions.
  • · Provided network/internet support and assisted the students in response to the identified difficulties.
  • · Collected and maintained problems and solutions logs for the other technical support technicians.

Comments

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Looks good, have you graduated yet? or are you still studying? also yeah you should make a technical skills section.
  • netBoogernetBooger Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are going to put an Objective in then I would suggest you gear it towards the type of job/environment/company you are looking to work in. The current one you have isn't really an objective but rather a synopsis of your skills.
    (Example Objective Statement: To obtain a position utilizing my experience, education, and desire for a challenging career working in a team oriented environment managing up to an enterprise level network, with the chance to optimize all network hardware and resources, and where the opportunity exists to grow and make a positive contribution to the overall success of my employer.)

You definitely should have a skills section highlighting everything you have done (don't forget all of the stuff you learned in school). Try to expand it a little to show everything you have done.

For you Work Experience I would suggest leaving out that it is a part or full time job as well as if it is volunteer. If asked in an interview then this is when you could bring it up. I am not sure if this is a brief version of your resume but the grammar and spelling needs to be cleaned up a little.

I would also suggest putting in your Work Experience how many users and devices you managed at each job. Also I think you should avoid saying things like "Assisted" and just state the task/s you did (ie Troubleshot various software and account..........).
  • boileboile Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks good, have you graduated yet? or are you still studying? also yeah you should make a technical skills section.

Thanks for your quick reply. Yup I have graduated.
  • boileboile Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    netBooger wrote: »
    (Example Objective Statement: To obtain a position utilizing my experience, education, and desire for a challenging career working in a team oriented environment managing up to an enterprise level network, with the chance to optimize all network hardware and resources, and where the opportunity exists to grow and make a positive contribution to the overall success of my employer.)

Thanks a lot for showing me this wonderful example.
    netBooger wrote: »
    For you Work Experience I would suggest leaving out that it is a part or full time job as well as if it is volunteer. If asked in an interview then this is when you could bring it up. I am not sure if this is a brief version of your resume but the grammar and spelling needs to be cleaned up a little.

Ya it is a rough version. I kinda wrote everything using past tense. Later I found those mistakes, I have already fixed them. But thanks for reminding me .

In my resume I didn't really write the lines about volunteer job/student job. It's just to let u guys know, what I have done so far.
  • h.embassh.embass Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Overall, the resume looks good to me..you should definitely add Technical skills section. Also, mention your work
    experience first and then write about your professional certifications and education since most of the times employers
    are more interested to know the kind of job you have been working on icon_cool.gif
  • votekvotek Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's always good to quantify anything you've done with a job. Supported 1000 PCs, created an automated system that increased profits by 20%. It makes your skills more concrete and ultimately more desirable for the person reading your resume.

My college adviser gave me a really great tip. He told me to put everything I've done, all my experience, all my personal projects, whatever on a master word file. Then depending on the job, take out what's irrelevant.

Just my two cents. Your resume looks great though. Best of luck to you on the job hunt.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    take out the ccent, you have your ccna, so no need for the other on there. also, dont put currently studying for ccnp. And if your going to have a section on your resume for certs, no need to have them listed under your name.

I hope you dont include the parts that are in the open & closed parentheses.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)