TSHOOT - Passed

NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
Well, the CCNP journey is over. TSHOOT has officially had its ass kicked (876) earlier today. This attempt felt completley different. Since I mached up the topology it felt like someone had gone in and broke "my" network. It was much easier to fix since I didn't spend so much time looking at the poorly done documentation trying to figure out what is connected to what.

Thanks to admin Mike for alerting me that the TSHOOT topology was available from Cisco. Also, thanks to everyone who helped me with the IPv6 issue I posted. You guys are awesome icon_cheers.gif

Now it's on to play with the big boys and go for my CCIE R&S. :D

Comments

• stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Congrats! Once I have the BCMSN out the way, I'll be going for the TSHOOT myself. I'm quite looking forward to it, troubleshooting is what I do on a day to day basis, so this sounds like my kind of exam :)
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Wow congratulations!

What a lovely feeling to be able to say that you are going for CCIE R&S.

Of course you need not have your CCNP for it but I really believe it is a good honest natural progression from CCNA, CCNP to CCIE.

Please let us know how you begin to prepare for this....
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Congrats man, its starting to look like this exam is not as scary as it sounds, just gotta get the topology down before you go in.
    jovan88 wrote: »
    Congrats man, its starting to look like this exam is not as scary as it sounds, just gotta get the topology down before you go in.

What's your thoughts on BCMSN, seems like a rehash of CCNA and CCNA Security right?
  • NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    Of course you need not have your CCNP for it but I really believe it is a good honest natural progression from CCNA, CCNP to CCIE.

I agree. Originally I wasn't planning on taking any of the NP exams and head straight for the IE. Then Cisco turned the lab on it's head with v4 so I waited a bit for people to figure out how to pass the exam and for IPexpert to update it's training materials.
    Please let us know how you begin to prepare for this....
    For TSHOOT or for the CCIE R&S?

For TSHOOT: I recreated the topology as close as I could. It showed me the areas I didn't know so well. A couple of the mistakes I made actually showed up in the exam. My advice would be to find the diagrams and recreate the topology from the ground up. You'll make mistakes, but that's a good thing.

For R&S: I have the Blended Learning Solution from IPexpert waiting on me at home. I start the video on demand series Monday and I'll have my MP3 player loaded up with the audio lectures to make use of my drive time. I'm pricing out lab equipment now. I'd really like to have 4 3560s, but that's out of my price range so I may just make due with 3550s. The routers will be in GNS3 and using the eth of my PC at home. I picked up 3 4 port NICs from ebay for $25 each so I have 12 eth to play with to talk to the switches.
    Nuul wrote: »
    For R&S: I have the Blended Learning Solution from IPexpert waiting on me at home. I start the video on demand series Monday and I'll have my MP3 player loaded up with the audio lectures to make use of my drive time. I'm pricing out lab equipment now. I'd really like to have 4 3560s, but that's out of my price range so I may just make due with 3550s. The routers will be in GNS3 and using the eth of my PC at home. I picked up 3 4 port NICs from ebay for $25 each so I have 12 eth to play with to talk to the switches.

Great good luck with it and please keep us updated.

I apologize, the question was for R&S so I should have been specific....

I'm always interested in people's preparation and study habits....and most importantly how many hours in a day or week they put into it....
    I'm always interested in people's preparation and study habits....and most importantly how many hours in a day or week they put into it....

I can only do about 2-3 hours a night. My wife has agreed to give me at least one day of the weekend where I'm left alone for the most part. Also, if I can come up with the money, I'm going to follow the Structured Learning Approach from IPexpert*. If I'm diligent with that track I should be ready for January. I'm wanting to be "that guy" that passes the lab on attempt #1. It's not unheard of, but most people take 3-4 tries.

*Sorry if I ramble on about them; they've taken good care of me so far so I recommend them a lot.
  • Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    Congrats, Nuul!

In just a week or two, I expect to be joining you as a CCNP following TSHOOT. Must feel nice!
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Congrats, it's good to hear that the TSHOOT is on the fun side.

Getting ready to defeat the BCMSN next week. Hopefully I can have a quick turn around on the TSHOOT.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TSHOOT has officially had its ass kicked
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    I can only do about 2-3 hours a night. My wife has agreed to give me at least one day of the weekend where I'm left alone for the most part. Also, if I can come up with the money, I'm going to follow the Structured Learning Approach from IPexpert*. If I'm diligent with that track I should be ready for January. I'm wanting to be "that guy" that passes the lab on attempt #1. It's not unheard of, but most people take 3-4 tries.

*Sorry if I ramble on about them; they've taken good care of me so far so I recommend them a lot.

Nothing wrong with shooting for the stars. I just made a comment earlier today about how many people pass the lab on the 1st attempt...

That is a good goal to have....who wants to take 3-4 attempts anyways!!!
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Well, the CCNP journey is over. TSHOOT has officially had its ass kicked (876) earlier today. This attempt felt completley different. Since I mached up the topology it felt like someone had gone in and broke "my" network. It was much easier to fix since I didn't spend so much time looking at the poorly done documentation trying to figure out what is connected to what.

Thanks to admin Mike for alerting me that the TSHOOT topology was available from Cisco. Also, thanks to everyone who helped me with the IPv6 issue I posted. You guys are awesome icon_cheers.gif

Now it's on to play with the big boys and go for my CCIE R&S. :D

I want to ask for future reference, besides the OBVIOUS, what was different about the labbing you had done to prepare for the CCNP Troubleshooting Exam and from you actually using the exam's topology after you found out what it was and then preparing it after your first failed attempt?
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS and good luck with the CCIE journey!!!!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • errtimeerrtime Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratulations icon_cheers.gif
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Good job Nuul! icon_thumright.gif I will definitely take your recommendation and create the topology from the ground up. I'm still waiting on my beta results. I will probably do ONT and ISCW. But, if I decide that I want to do TSHOOT. I'll take your word and do it that way.
    Selfmade wrote: »
    I want to ask for future reference, besides the OBVIOUS, what was different about the labbing you had done to prepare for the CCNP Troubleshooting Exam and from you actually using the exam's topology after you found out what it was and then preparing it after your first failed attempt?

Honestly, I didn't change anything. The difference was knowing ahead of time what the topology (and therefore the configs) looked like. For preparation the 2nd time I didn't even open a book except to look up why I couldn't get IPv6 working...and even then I didn't use the worthless TSHOOT books, I used my BSCI book. My first attempt I only failed because I spent too much time figuring out the way the network was put together, it wasn't really a fair assessment of my ability to troubleshoot.