Cisco or Microsoft or Both Certs

ArmageddonArmageddon Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_study.gif In everyone's experience what Certifications do you find more marketable between Cisco & Microsoft? Personally I want to get into Cisco to get my CCNA,CCNP,CCNPWireless,CSSP,& CCVP. Then later on down the line eventually achieve my CISSP Cert to achieve Network Engineer status. I heard that it's good to get your Microsoft Cert like MCSE or MCITP then work your way up to Cisco Networking. Is it worth to have both certs like MCITP then go for Cisco Certs? Or Can one just have Cisco only certs these days. I guess what I'm trying to say does one need multiple certs these days? Any advice would be much appreciated.

icon_thumright.gif Thx

Comments

• stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Armageddon wrote: »
    icon_study.gif In everyone's experience what Certifications do you find more marketable between Cisco & Microsoft? Personally I want to get into Cisco to get my CCNA,CCNP,CCNPWireless,CSSP,& CCVP. Then later on down the line eventually achieve my CISSP Cert to achieve Network Engineer status. I heard that it's good to get your Microsoft Cert like MCSE or MCITP then work your way up to Cisco Networking. Is it worth to have both certs like MCITP then go for Cisco Certs? Or Can one just have Cisco only certs these days. I guess what I'm trying to say does one need multiple certs these days? Any advice would be much appreciated.

icon_thumright.gif Thx

If you want to be a network engineer (the CISSP isn't a guarantee of network engineer status, your experience is), then the MS certs aren't going to do much except get your foot in the door with places that dont yet have networking jobs available.

I've never touched an MS cert, and likely never will, I do not like their OS offerings and I have no passion for anything they do, and its not stopped me from doing networking.

The right certs, and mainly the right experience are what you need.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I heard that it's good to get your Microsoft Cert like MCSE or MCITP then work your way up to Cisco Networking.

Who told you that?
  • ArmageddonArmageddon Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I heard from a few people that its good to get your MS Cert to get your foot in the door then work your way up into networking w/ your cisco certifications. I've been told that if you only have your Cisco Certs w/ little or no exp its hard to get a job in the world of networking.
    I heard from a few people that its good to get your MS Cert to get your foot in the door then work your way up into networking w/ your cisco certifications. I've been told that if you only have your Cisco Certs w/ little or no exp its hard to get a job in the world of networking.

There are too many variables involved to justify that. Location, job availability, job requirements, etc.. No one person can semi-predict what path is best for others. If that were the case, we would all be following the same one.

My suggestion, go with what you want to do, not what other people think you should do.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »
    My suggestion, go with what you want to do, not what other people think you should do.

Bingo! icon_thumright.gif

Don't spend money on something unless you really want to.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can get networking jobs without sysadmin experience, trust me.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    You can get networking jobs without sysadmin experience, trust me.

I don't think this is true, at least not universally.

And, the CISSP isn't really a network engineer cert, it's more of a security cert. If you want to be a network engineer, get Cisco certs, if you want be a systems engineer, get MS or Linux certs.
  • mycodemycode Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thinks that CISSP is a certification related to security more and not to networking. If you want to do certification in networking then you must go with Cisco or CompTIA. I personally think that CompTIA certifications are more trustworthy for security and networking certification.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mycode wrote: »
    I thinks that CISSP is a certification related to security more and not to networking. If you want to do certification in networking then you must go with Cisco or CompTIA. I personally think that CompTIA certifications are more trustworthy for security and networking certification.

Comptia is entry level and I don't think that the Network+ cert will lend someone a networking job unless they got mad skillz and/or experience. Why do you think CompTIA is more trustworthy for security and networking certifications?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Yep, I don't see a Network+ candidate could ever be preffered over a CCNA with all other factors being equal.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    I think all of the above are valid points.
    If you want to go into networking, go the cisco route.

It will never hurt though to have a more rounded knowledge by obtaining MS certs first, but as others have said, if that's not what you want and doesn't really float your boat then straight to cisco would be my advice.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    :I heard that it's good to get your Microsoft Cert like MCSE or MCITP then work your way up to Cisco Networking.

I can understand why people may think this, but it is not necessarily true. Basically when you go for a job, Microsoft tends to be common grounds and spoken about universally (Unless you are in a non Microsoft environment, but even still it may come up; to be used as a comparison, or criticised). That is no doubt one of the reasons why people who want to pursue networking and Cisco think they need Microsoft certs in the early going, and in some places that can be true.

Like people have mentioned in this thread already it depends a lot on location and job requirement etc. For instance if you are to be a network engineer in a team where there is limited resources or skills in Microsoft, and you are seen to be in the more senior I.T. position, you better believe people are looking in your direction to fix the problem. Now you can pull the "I deal with networks" as much as you want, but a lot of the time none technical people (Including some of your senior managers) see you as I.T. and networks, servers and OS are all the same thing to them (So fix it).

In this case you may not need to go as far as MCSE or MCITP level, you may get away with a couple of MCP/MCTS just to keep your head in the server/OS world. If the problem is beyond that level of knowledge then clearly a sysadmin is required. You may think there should be someone in place before it gets to network engineers sorting out servers or OS problems, but it don't work that way all the time. Didn't you read the "...and any other technical duty required by your manager" in your job contract??

Again it depends on location and the team you are in etc, but that is an example as why as a network engineer people may think they need Microsoft certs. Ideally you will be in a role where you only deal with the network, in which case you can pursue Cisco and never look back (If that is what you want to do).

However in my opinion if you work in a team environment it is helpful to have knowledge and experience in both. That doesn't mean go and get certified in servers or get a sysadmin job if you want to be a network engineer. Just remember to follow up when studying about networks and when you get to a point which references servers, don't treat that as "Not my problem", find out what happens at that point on the server. Or look over a sysadmins shoulder when setting things up etc as and when you can. Don't have the attitude of I am a network engineer so sod the server infrastructure.
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It all depends on what your interests are. Do not obtain certs with the though of money gratification. Do it for the love. Ultimately, if you feel as though you will be more comfortable by having both certs then it is best to satisfy your needs. Personally, I only have a single cert from MS. My love is with Cisco :)
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I don't think this is true, at least not universally.

And, the CISSP isn't really a network engineer cert, it's more of a security cert. If you want to be a network engineer, get Cisco certs, if you want be a systems engineer, get MS or Linux certs.

I agree. Within the networking environment, there are many different tracks involved (engineer, administration, security etc.) You do not have to kill yourself trying to obtain EVERY popular cert in order to become more marketable mayne:D. Just be the best at what you do.icon_thumright.gif
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
    Thanks all for your advice I really appreciate it. Right now I'm in school taking the following courses MCITP Enterprise,CCNA,Security+, & CEH. After I'm done & pass all the tests. I plan on self studying for the CCNP on the new track. I should have this all completed around the first quarter of next year.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks all for your advice I really appreciate it. Right now I'm in school taking the following courses MCITP Enterprise,CCNA,Security+, & CEH. After I'm done & pass all the tests. I plan on self studying for the CCNP on the new track. I should have this all completed around the first quarter of next year.

Same scenario except for I'm taking Sec+ in 5 weeks lol. Is your major cybersec too? icon_cheers.gif
    Yes I want to get the voice & wireless under my belt as well in addition to security in Cisco. My main goal is to get the CCIE Security & CISSP. Woo! Hoo!
    Yes I want to get the voice & wireless under my belt as well in addition to security in Cisco. My main goal is to get the CCIE Security & CISSP. Woo! Hoo!

Good luck, that'll take you about 6 or so years.