Options

salary expectations

failedcisspfailedcissp Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
All,

as you know I have recently obtained my cissp and am looking to move forward in my career. I am currently in the washington dc area and currently make around 75k...what is a reasonable salary range I should ask for when I am looking to move employers? I have been talking with 2 recruiters and have said 90k range and they say that is no problem...i am wondering if that is too low by the way they are answering me...

I currently have 4 years of security experience (risk and governance) with a degree in computer information systems

Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Options
    jeman022004jeman022004 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend salary.com to get a ballpark range and add 10%-20% if you have a security clearance. Tech Republic also posts an annual review of certifications and average salaries. That is also a good resource. I work in the DC area as well and with 4 years exp 90k should be good. You might be able to go a little highter.

It also depends on the position. If you are going to be billed out to clients you will usually make a little more than if you are going to be providing internal services directly for the company. You either make profit for the company or you are an expense.
    "It is always better to be pissed off than pissed on..."
  • Options
    cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    All,

as you know I have recently obtained my cissp and am looking to move forward in my career. I am currently in the washington dc area and currently make around 75k...what is a reasonable salary range I should ask for when I am looking to move employers? I have been talking with 2 recruiters and have said 90k range and they say that is no problem...i am wondering if that is too low by the way they are answering me...

I currently have 4 years of security experience (risk and governance) with a degree in computer information systems

Thanks for all your help
    I don't know what your experience level is, but $90K is pretty low for that area. I'm thinking $100-$110K is expected for that area for the aveage mid-level + person (especially if you're working in the government arena)
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    you need a new username. :D

90 is on the low side. Depending on experience level, you shoot just for 110... they can always negotiate you down, but you can't negotiate them up.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    You're worth whatever you say you are, whether or not the person on the other side of the table agrees with you or not is another thing entirely.

I don't think anyone would disagree with what I said.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.