How can I get experience, I'm 16.

timespacetimespace Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Wellllll I'm 16 right now finishing my sophomore year of high school. I plan on studying for the A+ and Network+ this summer and hopefully the security+ in the fall. I'm currently taking a networking class in my school but next year I plan on being home schooled because I think my school has a poor quality of education.
My question is how should I get experience in IT? I think craigslist is one way to find a job or internship. Would Geeksquad be considered a good form of experience for my future in IT?

Comments

• SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    While I will leave most of your post to more experienced individuals than myself, I will say that Geeksquad is a can of worms, I think the general consensus of Geeksquad is negative. Agents are first and foremost salesmen. Your job is to sell GS products and services.

My suggestion would be to see if you can intern or get a job at a local computer repair shop or gaming lounge (at home these usually had repair services). Even an unpaid internship after school helps, and I think, would look better than GS. However, if you can get GS, go for it.

(I am a little biased after they didnt hire the person with the most experience and certifications to work... me.)
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    Try to avoid Geek Squad. Unless you're doing field work with Geek Squad(whatever cute name they call that).
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Last I heard Geek Squad doesn't hire anyone under 21 anyways, so you won't have to worry about that. Of course, that may just be for their field tech positions (position that requires travel from them) but I think it's a universal rule of theirs.

As far as what you can do, I've considered doing this myself however I need a paying job right now more than anything else (been unemployed too long and my family is suffering from it) but you could volunteer at a local shop in town. Some may have rules as well that require you to be at least 18, but if you're volunteering then they'll more than likely let you slide on that. It'll give you experience in the real world and also give you experience that you can list on a resume (even if it's not paid, it's still professional experience, you just volunteered to get it). At your age this can be a very big resume booster, you could well be on your way to a decent paying IT job by the time you're 20.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    timespace wrote: »
    Wellllll I'm 16 right now finishing my sophomore year of high school. I plan on studying for the A+ and Network+ this summer and hopefully the security+ in the fall. I'm currently taking a networking class in my school but next year I plan on being home schooled because I think my school has a poor quality of education.
    My question is how should I get experience in IT? I think craigslist is one way to find a job or internship. Would Geeksquad be considered a good form of experience for my future in IT?

Hey Hi.. :)

A+, Network+ and Security+ are all great certs. You probably know that if you get those certs before Jan 01, 2011 they will be good for life. CompTIA is putting a 3 month expiration date on them after Dec 31 2010 because of ANSI requirements.

A retail tech bench like BestBuy, ECT.. is great to get your foot in the door and gain some experience. And it will.. um.. "open your eyes" in regards to customers, management, pay and ethics. Also working as a service tech "part time" is another great idea. Or, maybe do contract work for a company. There are big companies out there, who sub-contracts jobs out to individuals. (I think HP is one of them)

The main thing in IT is to keep learning by researching, reading.. icon_study.gif .. found something you do not know? Software or Hardware? Research it and find out what it is and how to install and maintain it. Good Luck to You!
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sixteen and looking for expierence. This is the kinda of drive I like to see but when I was sixteen I was looking to hang with friends. My best suggestion is volunteer your time to local schools and local business. Build yourself a home lab as this counts towards expierence.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When I was 16 I worked for Quizno's. The first real IT job I got was when I was 17 at a local mom-pop computer shop which went out of business. Look around for local shops whome you can sweep them off their feet. That is what I did.

There is nothing wrong with best buy at your age, but the first time geek squad paied attention to me I was 18 and had an A+ certification. It may be different in your area. By the time they offered me a job, I didn't want to work for them anymore.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    My best suggestion is volunteer your time to local schools and local business.

What he said. Also, find a worthy non-profit organization and volunteer. Find a couple of places that need your help. The more you get out there, the more exposure you get and the better chances of landing that first job. If anything, you'll be exercising your skills and networking with people, which can go a long way. But...make sure you keep time for your education!
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GeeLo wrote: »
    CompTIA is putting a 3 month expiration date on them after Dec 31 2010 because of ANSI requirements.

That would hurt so bad lol. Its three years! icon_lol.gif
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I got my first IT related job when I was 16. I started at a local computer repair shop for $5.50/hr. I worked there for quite a few years, though, and I can tell you that we never turned down free labor. We always welcomed any high school students that wanted to volunteer just to gain experience.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V