Traffic Priority

johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
Quick question for the pros. I have a 2621xm with a t1 csu/dsu. this router has 2 fast ethernet ports. I will have strickly voice traffic on fa0/1 and internet traffic on fa0/2. Is there a way to give fa0/1 priority over fa0/2 to keep voice quality to a maximum? Or am I way off base here. I am not very well versed in QoS and CoS. Is this something that the ISP does on their end?

Thanks for the help.

john
CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014

Comments

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If all you are about is voice quality on your local LAN that may help you but if the QoS is being set up to be routed over your WAN interface its probably for nothing since you're handing off to a DSL or cable provider. If they're not speaking the same QoS which you are it won't matter. If you're interconnecting over a VPN or something that's a little different.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    it would be over a T1. All I'm worried about is outbound packets. I believe on the other end of the link the ISP provides QoS for inbound packets. (inbound to me). We are trying to cut costs so we are considering terminating our dsl line for Internet traffic and combining Internet and voip onto a single t1 line (we currently use the T1 for VoIP only). Currently the ISP is providing an adtran router (at a monthly fee) at our site but to save some more money we are considering going to a cisco 2621xm that is being used in my lab for studying.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sure its possible. Just google some QoS resources and you should be good to go. You can go with something like below.
    class-map match-all MATCH_INTERFACE
     match input-interface [YOUR INPUT INTERFACE]
    !
    policy-map INT_PRIORITY
     class MATCH_INTERFACE
        priority [HOW EVER MUCH YOU WANT]
     class class-default
    !
    interface [YOUR OUTSIDE INTERFACE]
     service-policy output INT_PRIORITY

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • oxzganoxzgan Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what is QOS and COS ...at my beginning lessons i studied port number which is less number i mean port is is more priority than port 2?
    can u explain COS and QOS
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    oxzgan wrote: »
    what is QOS and COS ...at my beginning lessons i studied port number which is less number i mean port is is more priority than port 2?
    can u explain COS and QOS

QoS
    CoS

Check out those links. A complete explanation of these technologies would be way too big for a forum post.