Is this too much?

timespacetimespace Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I plan on studying for the A+ and Network+ this summer and taking the tests and the end of summer... and If I pass I plan on studying for the security+ and taking the test for that around october. Do you guys think this will be possible or am I taking on too much? I'm 16 and I'm not working in the summer so I'll have a lot of of time to study throughout the day...what do you guys think?

Comments

• impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Many people can pass an exam just reading a little bit, I do not know how they do it but for them is very easy. The idea of the certification is to prove that you have the knowledge and the skills to some level. If you study without to much practice or little bit exp you will show you have the knowledge but that doesn't mean that you will able to do a job that equire those skills.

I have time learn the information very deep and practice a lot. You will make a good base in your career.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do your best to learn the material, not just pass the test. I can see you doing this before the end of the year. Try to get your hands on some old computers, If there's a recycling place near that buys old computers, talk to the owner about leting you disassemble them to help you on your A+.
    Good Luck in your studies.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Do your best to learn the material, not just pass the test. I can see you doing this before the end of the year. Try to get your hands on some old computers, If there's a recycling place near that buys old computers, talk to the owner about leting you disassemble them to help you on your A+.
    Good Luck in your studies.

Indeed! If you can pull of the A+, Net+, Sec+ at 16 and have full understanding of the content, it would set an extremely positive tone for your certification ambitions. This reminds me of the international nine year old kid on technet who is a MSCE! :)
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    timespace wrote: »
    I plan on studying for the A+ and Network+ this summer and taking the tests and the end of summer... and If I pass I plan on studying for the security+ and taking the test for that around october. Do you guys think this will be possible or am I taking on too much? I'm 16 and I'm not working in the summer so I'll have a lot of of time to study throughout the day...what do you guys think?

2 things.

The cost of the exams for A+ and Net+ is going to run you around $575. I would think hard and study harder before trying to do more than that in one summer, just because you will eat the cost (and time) of a test if you do not pass.

Second, think about burnout. A+ and Net+ is 3 exams. If you spend 3 weeks prepping for each (i honestly think you should spend more given the cost), that is 9 solid weeks of your summer. Sec + is a $258 exam, and is not uncommon for people to fail. The prep time is also considerably higher.

Food for thought. Good to be ambitious, but be realistic too.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would start studying now, your 16 probably with no IT related job experience or at the very least a small minimum of some months work experience. 2 months to study for technologies that perhaps are new to you (i dont know you personally) but i am just guessing based off your age, is probably not enough time to absorb both technologies. I would say spend all of June / July / August/ take the test in early september. icon_study.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    brad- wrote: »
    The cost of the exams for A+ and Net+ is going to run you around $575.

Na if your in the US. Go to the Prometric website and find a Community College near you and go buy a voucher year round for 50% off the price. This is suppose to be for students only but the one I go to don't care if you are or not. So, if they do care then go sign up for a PE class that is like .5 credits which will only cost you about $20.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    ElvisG wrote: »
    Na if your in the US. Go to the Prometric website and find a Community College near you and go buy a voucher year round for 50% off the price. This is suppose to be for students only but the one I go to don't care if you are or not. So, if they do care then go sign up for a PE class that is like .5 credits which will only cost you about $20.

That sure is interesting, to say the least. However, given his age, he might have some other issues with getting your discount. The prices I used were based on the CompTia voucher price. I know you can get them for less, but I think its fair to go off that.

The college I went to had about $500 in fees before you even get to tuition for the classes. Whether you took 3 hours or 18, you were paying those fees.
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Ill give you a little bit of advice. Certifications are not about passing a test, but about the skills and practical knowledge that you have obtained. I currently do not hold any certifications, however, after looking over both the CIW as well as A+ / Net+ etc, I can tell you that I can probably pass them without opening a text. This isn't because ive done a cram session or what not, its because I've worked in the industry for quite some time.

Do yourself a favor, and set yourself a good solid foundation, with studying through them, and learning the material through practical application, as opposed to memorization. If you are for sure that you want a career in the IT field, doing so will benefit you down the road, more so than cramming for some test.
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    brad- wrote: »
    However, given his age, he might have some other issues with getting your discount. The prices I used were based on the CompTia voucher price. I know you can get them for less, but I think its fair to go off that.

The college I went to had about $500 in fees before you even get to tuition for the classes. Whether you took 3 hours or 18, you were paying those fees.

Huh? People attend college all the time in their early teens. Colleges don't care about age.

Op, go check your local CC if your in the US. They will give you the correct advice if they will give you a student voucher or not. The saving is worth it.

A+ cost $168 x 2 = $336 (mine cost $160 together)
    Network+ cost $239 (cost to me $125)
    Security+ cost $258 (cost to me $160)

And brad, I went to two different colleges for a .5 credit class. Cost to me for a 1/2 credit class was $13 total. They didn't charge me a penny more. Community college in California cost $26 per credit. The one in New Mexico cost about the same. I didn't have to pay any more then the cost of my credit and a stupid $1 parking fee each week. Community college cost and state college is totally two different cost ratios.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Huh? People attend college all the time in their early teens. Colleges don't care about age.

Yea, its called dual enrollment. You take classes at the college or university and earn credit towards both high school and college. Its real common here at least.

And brad, I went to two different colleges for a .5 credit class. Cost to me for a 1/2 credit class was $13 total. They didn't charge me a penny more. Community college in California cost $26 per credit. The one in New Mexico cost about the same. I didn't have to pay any more then the cost of my credit and a stupid $1 parking fee each week. Community college cost and state college is totally two different cost ratios.

This is definitely a YMMV situation. The one I went to is $75 per credit hour and they really love to inflate everything to 4 or 5 credit hours.

Maybe this is why California is bankrupt. icon_mrgreen.gif