Connecting 2 computers...

sacredtheorysacredtheory Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need some help here. I have a PC and a laptop that I would like to connect to share resources (they both have ethernet cards). I have tried several crossover cables with no success. When it's plugged in, both cards display solid green lights with occasionally blinking amber lights (normal). So next I configured static IP addresses - 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.102. When I try to ping the other computer, it just times out. It doesn't seem to work. I don't know what to do next. So, my question is - Is it possible to share resources between 2 computers using firewire if they both have firewire ports?

Comments

• shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    What is your operating system? If it is XP you can use the Internet Connection Sharing feature to make your two computers talk via your cross-over cable.

Here is the link to our tech notes on the ICS that you can read to get some more information on it.

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/xp/ics_icf.shtml
  • sacredtheorysacredtheory Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tried doing that, and I tried the network wizard. I don't understand why I can't ping the other computer. But, if I get a firewire (or even usb) cable and connect them both, will I be able to transfer "File A" from one computer to the other?
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Try doing a ping 127.0.0.1 on each. That will test whether or not the Nic actually works.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    Yeah, both NIC's work. They both have internet connection when I plug them into my modem. Is the firewire idea I describe ealier possible?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    http://www.techno-link.com/wown/usbmain.htm

Are you actually using a crossover cable? Perhaps try a different cable?
    Are both machines in the same workgroup?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are they in the same workgroup? Also have you tried dis-abling the xp firewall to see if you can get basic connectivity?

Concerning firewire, yes this can be done.
    Yes, both computers are in the same workgroup. And, I disabled the firewalls on both nics, and Norton firewall is disabled on both computers too. I am using a crossover cable. I guess I'll have to buy another one. I thought as long as the green lights are contantly lit, everything is working? I guess not. But it's weird because if I unplug the crossover cable from the laptop, my other computer says that a network cable is unplugged. And vice versa. But, I still get no response when I try to ping each other.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    There are numerous articles on the web about Firewire (IEEE 1394) IP networking. There are no special crossover or NULL modem cables, and the maximum distance between nodes is 15 feet. Apparently a multi-port Firewire card can act like a network hub.

Only Windows XP and OS X have full Firewire networking support. Windows ME is also suppose to support Firewire networking, but there are questions of its reliability. With XP you just hook the two computers together with an IEEE 1394 cable and then run the networking wizard. Make sure the IEEE 1394 ports are enabled in the machine's CMOS and are recognized in the Windows Device Manager.
    Yes, both computers are in the same workgroup. And, I disabled the firewalls on both nics, and Norton firewall is disabled on both computers too. I am using a crossover cable. I guess I'll have to buy another one. I thought as long as the green lights are contantly lit, everything is working? I guess not. But it's weird because if I unplug the crossover cable from the laptop, my other computer says that a network cable is unplugged. And vice versa. But, I still get no response when I try to ping each other.

Do you have the same username/password set up on both? If not, try to create an account that has the same for each.

Green lights are a good sign. And you are able to ping localhost on each machine if I recall.

How about your network drivers? Are they current?

How about rebooting one of the machines after you connect the cable?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/p2pintro.mspx#ECAA

Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking
    Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking is a developer platform to create peer-to-peer applications for computers running Windows XP. The long-term goal of Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking is the following:

To enable people to communicate securely and share information with one another without a dependence on centralized servers, but to work even better when servers are present.

Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking is included with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). To install it after Windows XP SP2 is installed, do the following:

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.

Click Add/Remove Windows Components.

In Components, click Networking Services (but do not select its check box), and then click Details.

Select the Peer-to-Peer check box, and then click OK.

Click Next, and then follow the instructions in the wizard.

For computers running Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (SP1), you can install Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking with the Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP, a free download.

The design of Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking incorporates the following principles:

• Secure

• Scalable

• Distributed

• Serverless

• Robust in the face of failure and/or attack

• Self-tuning

• Self-repairing

How these design principles were achieved in described throughout this paper.
    Plantwiz
    _____

Transcript of dialogue between:
    Charles Porter, Test lead for Network Experience Configuration Infrastructure

Mark Madigan, Business Development Manager in Windows Networking

Scott Manchester, Program Manager for Home Networking in the Network Experience Team

Dean Cornish, Software Test Engineer Windows Networking

John Eddy, MVP Lead for Windows XP - Shell, IE/OE and Tablet PC

Chat - Home Networking with Windows XP, August 2003

not certain if the last two will be useful for you, but posted them just the same Good Luck
    Plantwiz
    _____

• TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    This might help some things, but have you allowed incoming echo requests on both pcs? Just to see if you can ping?

http://spaces.msn.com/members/hturtlegirl73/
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here it is, 5/6/03 - did you solve the problem?

I just had a 'similar' problem between 98 & 2000Pro -- a bad install did not enable networking right on the 98 machine (right now it is upgrading to 2KPro) so I had to re-install. NICE that the system settings all stayed!

Installing over the old setup has let it work fine (the NIC is not compatible so I could not do the install over the network, which was the reason for destroying the NW server on the PC, and the CD drive failed...etcetcetc)

Thanks to all listing links too - just downloaded P to P for XP!!!