Lpic-1/2

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
From what I have gathered, it seems the average study time for the LPIC-1 is about a few months. Has anyone done the LPIC-2 certification? If so, how long did it take you to study for it? What I am wondering if doing the LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 this year is going to be feasable. I have a part time job which will require me to support linux and in the next few days I may have a full time job that requires it as well.

People complete the MCSA/SE in one years time often and I think the LPIC-2 is like an MCSE (in terms of material covered and such). Is this a good assumption?

Edit: I don't have my LPIC-1 yet so I could be thinking way over my head but I did compare the LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 objectives. I think the LPIC-2 objectives are pretty sexy and look like exciting to study.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I am putting together a reading list for these 4 test. I hope this covers everything to give me at least a good start. I'll start with listing the things I own and go from there.

Purchased:

LPIC-1/2 CBTs
    Advanced Linux OTJ training CBTs

Linux Admin: A beginners guide
    linux+ 2009
    Sed and Awk

Things I want to purchase for the LPIC-1:

LPIC-1 Oreilly
    Practial Guide to Linux Commands

Possibly Exam Cram

I think this, along with IBM developer works and man pages will be enough to at least get me through the LPIC-1. Any thoughts? I can comeback to this thread and update it as I go along.
    There were a couple of other books I was thinking about as well :

Hardening Linux Apache Security DNS and Bind
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The LPIC-1 exams should be too difficult if you have around 6 months support of real hands on with linux. I think the biggest worry for the exams is knowing the obscure command options that they require on the test ( I hear it is rather difficult on the LPIC-2). You should start with printing out the objectives and using them as a study guide.

LPIC-1 / The LPIC Program / Certification / Home - LPI -
    /exam_101_detailed_objectives
    Exam 102: Detailed Objectives / LPIC-1 / The LPIC Program / Certification / Home - LPI -

I have read the following for the LPIC-1 exams:

Amazon.com: LPIC-1: Linux Professional Institute Certification…
    Amazon.com: LPIC-1 In Depth (9781598639674): Michael Jang: Books
    Amazon.com: LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) (9780596005283): Steven Pritchard, Bruno Gomes Pessanha, Nicolai Langfeldt, James Stanger, Jeff Dean: Books

I have to say that the Nutshell book has been the best reference so far in studying and making notes however it is dated so the chapters in the book don't cover the correct exam objectives for the updated exam so you do have to jump around. The other two books were good "fill ins" once I had a detailed outline from the Nutshell book.

All in all I think that you should have any trouble with the LPIC-1 exams. I don't think however that you can compare the LPIC-2 to the MCSE. The LPIC-2 is very generalized in the exam (it doesn't focus on a distro). The MCSE is clearly more geared towards Microsoft's specific platform. I would say though that the knowledge of one with an LPIC-1 & 2 would be a "linux admin" like the MCSE gives you the knowledge of a "microsoft admin".

Side Note: I'm working on my RHCE at the moment but studied most of the LIPC series material so if you need help with anything let me know, I'd be glad to give you hand.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I don't know how much time are you going to give yourself between LPIC-1 and 2 exams but if you've never configured or used linux network services, poked into the kernel or had to troubleshoot the hardware, you are looking at a very steep learning curve.
    While the LPIC-2 objectives do seem "sexy", consider what NightShade03 said about the exam: it isn't distro/vendor- specific. Hence- no prep literature, so you are on your own researching and compiling study material. Yes, there are very good titles that are written on individual objectives but nothing in terms of directly addressing the whole set of those objectives.
    Objectives! See which of those seem most exotic to you, do some quick research and work out few simplistic scenarios in your lab. Later, when you feel more confident you could start consulting man pages pertaining that particular subject and see what can you make out of it. Also spend as much time as you can on linux forums not only asking questions or answer other people's questions but read the answers to questions that intrigued you. Ideally, you would try to recreate the problem in your lab but often it seems like an overkill.
    As far as LPIC-1, you could wait until july to get Brunson's book (the ExamCram series) whose release has already been postponed couple of times.
    Lastly, exam simulations are going to be very important for you after you wrap up your prep and before you sit those exams. Unfortunately, almost all sims offered both free and sold aren't updated to the new objectives. Try penguintutors.com and see how do you like their exam simulation, so far I think they're the only free web simulation that updated their questions in accordance with the new objectives. Although it is clearly stated that you shouldn't take your scores at this site as a measure of your readiness, I scored highly for 102 on this site and it carried over on the real exam.
    Hope this helps and good luck! icon_cheers.gif
    I thought of something else I wanted to add to this. An MCSE crams the topics into 6 or so exams and Microsoft's "Blue books". This is great if you'd like to learn M$ technology specifics. The best part/down side to linux is that it takes a combination of different great technologies/programs and build a great operating system. The problem (which tends to intimidate) is that when going to study for these exams, LPIC, Linux+, RHCE, is that when you look at books you see like 50 books that cover the topics. It's a blessing and a curse which annoys the hell out of me but sometimes people don't realize that the exams aren't meant to cover everything but only cover the tip of the iceberg of many in depth technologies.

</end rant>
    Thanks guys

V:

I don't think it is to likely that I will get the level 1 and 2 done by the end of the year. I do want to get the LPIC-1 done by the end of the summer. I just quickly looked at the LPIC-2 and it looked so awesome. I want to build my knowledge to that level so it may take me a while but I don't want to idle. I will pick up the exam cram when it comes out.

NS:

I saw a link you posted for a LPIC-2 exams. Good stuff. When do you plan to do you RHCE?
    knwminus wrote: »
    When do you plan to do you RHCE?

ASAP! I was suppose to have taken it already, but I just switch jobs recently and they offered to pay for the Redhat course (which I will always take extra study time/material). Honestly I just keep pushing it back because of the cost. At $800 a try I only want to take this exam once and pass on the first round. Realistically I'm thinking mid July.
    ASAP! I was suppose to have taken it already, but I just switch jobs recently and they offered to pay for the Redhat course (which I will always take extra study time/material). Honestly I just keep pushing it back because of the cost. At $800 a try I only want to take this exam once and pass on the first round. Realistically I'm thinking mid July.

If you do the RHCE will you do the LPIC exams as well?
    I debated it and I think I will. The LPIC-1 I will blow through. The LPIC-2 I was debating because I here the exam is harder not because of the material but because of the command line options you need to know for different services (which is stupid because you have the help menu when configuring them in real life!). I think it will still be worth it, and since I plan to use linux for a while it keeps my resume balanced showing that I'm not just a redhat laptop dog icon_wink.gif
    How long have you been using linux and how much exp should someone have before going after the LPIC-2 (or LPIC-1 for that matter)?
    I think that the estimated times for each exam are fair reflections of their difficulty and time frame:

LPIC-1 6 months - 1yr
    LPIC-2 2-3yrs

RHCE 2-3yrs

I've been using linux for about two years. I can honestly say that nothing makes you learn like being forced. My current job hired me two months ago, no one knows anything about linux, and they want to move all their servers over. I'm having to figure out their current layout while migrating everything, and training them on linux. It sounds crazy but being forced to learn how to implement things, hands on, will make sooo much difference when exam time comes.

Example: Read this entry,

Security Nut: PXE + Kickstart, Automating CentOS/RedHat Installs

Reading it and following the steps isn't hard. However the first time I did this it took me two weeks with researching, testing, and validation. Now I can do it in my sleep but the point is that all the hands on of going through the process makes it easier (which I'm sure you could have guessed).
    The job I am interviewed for (and I think I am going to get it) wants someone who is going to be a Linux admin and lead. No one knows about Linux and they want someone who will not only support F/0SS solutions but also support their Linux boxes. They want someone who is going to balance out their strong windows admin. That's why I feel that I need to try to get the LPIC-2 because it seems server oriented and more like the level of knowledge they would want. I don't want to rush but I don't want to let them or me down. . .
    Honestly your best bet is going to be going after the LPIC-1 exams (forget the Linux+). In the mean time though you'd do well to always have a lab via virtual box or something similar because trust me you will use it daily. I would also recommend that you setup Centos since Redhat is the most widely used. Start reading through their free online documentation and implementing everything you read.

Documentation:
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

Also you can use this as a "**** sheet" until you know how to configure many of the services on your own:
    rhce [Mike Conigliaro's Wiki]

Howtoforge.com will also get you through some simple setups if you'd like however don't become dependent on following guides (maybe start implementing something and then try to configure the rest on your own without reading the guide). Hope you get the job it sounds like a good role. Always here if you need anything. icon_thumright.gif
    Thanks!

The Linux+ is basically the LPIC-1 now since the changeover of the test. I really just wanted the Linux+ cert since I think it is more well known (not respected) but honestly I might just chase the real deal.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    knwminus

If you pass the new Linux+, you can become LPIC-1, and Novell CLA. Basically 3 for 1.

CompTIA Linux+

LPI and NOVELL partnership / Certification / Home - LPI -
    I know. I just don't want to use the name of a vendor that I would have no experience in supporting on my resume. Don't want to get nailed with Novell questions...
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    steve13ad wrote: »
    knwminus

If you pass the new Linux+, you can become LPIC-1, and Novell CLA. Basically 3 for 1.

CompTIA Linux+

LPI and NOVELL partnership / Certification / Home - LPI -
    And then become a certifiable cert hoochie icon_surprised.gificon_redface.gif Of what use will the list of certs be if you find yourself dumbfounded on the job you were supposed to get done by yesterday?
    If you want to build your confidence level for the job you described knwminus, then by all means bite immediately into the networking services while glancing casually at the LPIC-1 objectives, especially 101 (if you are expected to support linux desktops as well). Linux networking services is where lin just shines.
    Not just because I am preparing for a Novell cert but from what I've seen SUSE has gone the furthest in integration within win+lin mixed environments.
  • appropriatorappropriator Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check out this site for LPI 101/102 mock exams - IT Exam Practice - Home