Interview for Jr Network Admin position

CountryboiCountryboi Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
ok i been following this board for a while and have a question. I have a interview for a jr network admin position for a local healthcare system next week. the problem is all my positions in the past have been 100 percent help desk phone support and mostly hardward related. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to expect from the interview like what should I study or what kinda questions to expect.

Comments

• apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Welcome aboard to TechExams!

Here's a few questions that I would probably expect:
    -How many users did you support in your last job?
    -What didn't you like at your previous job?
    -Do you have any system administrator experience?
    -Do you have experience using Windows Server 200x? If so, what?
    -Have you ever created users in Active Directory?
    -Explain group policy
    -Do you have experience with Exchange Server?

If you can give us more details about the job, such as what technology they're using, we can probably give you a better idea as what to expect.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    apena7 wrote: »
    Welcome aboard to TechExams!

Here's a few questions that I would probably expect:
    -How many users did you support in your last job?
    -What didn't you like at your previous job?
    -Do you have any system administrator experience?
    -Do you have experience using Windows Server 200x? If so, what?
    -Have you ever created users in Active Directory?
    -Explain group policy
    -Do you have experience with Exchange Server?

If you can give us more details about the job, such as what technology they're using, we can probably give you a better idea as what to expect.

Wouldn't those questions be more for a jr systems administrator role? Don't mean to hijack this thread but what kind of job questions could you expect for a network support/jr network engineer role?
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Countryboi wrote: »
    ok i been following this board for a while and have a question. I have a interview for a jr network admin position for a local healthcare system next week. the problem is all my positions in the past have been 100 percent help desk phone support and mostly hardward related. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to expect from the interview like what should I study or what kinda questions to expect.

Here are some questions I would ask you.
    How do you create a user in active directory? One specific answer I would look for is you use the tool Active Directory Users and Computers.

Just for the simple fact is I am going to tell you that you will be created users. It is 5:30 am and I am off to the gym. I will give you some more later.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

i just had a interview for a new position in the place i worked, basically same as you, i went from helpdesk to network admin side, things i got asked that where a bit more outfield to what i was used to after doing helpdesk interviews. ( i would expect the AD create accounts to be helpdesk questions)

we just upgraded to server 2008, whats the main difference and + points to using 2008 over 2003 server.

Where is technology going in the future? How do you keep up todate on the progess of technology

What are the current security threats that we as company face

if i can think of anymore i will post them later.

Hope it helps
    s
  • CountryboiCountryboi Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the help guys....i guess i should start brushing up on my AD
    sorry it took me so long to get a job description but it was a long holiday...i know i dont need to know all the in and outs of this stuff is cause they are looking for someone very jr. but i know they are going to at least want me to know what this stuff is.

[FONT=&quot]Summary[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Responsible for managing and monitoring WAN/LAN enterprise network/servers, IP addresses. Works closely with other teams to provide project and customer support, resolve simple network issues. Responsible for upgrading/patching existing monitoring applications. Network Operations Center, DNS/DHCP, IP addressing experience a plus. Candidates will be managing day to day administration of 1700 servers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Skills:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Citrix[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Windows 2000, 2003, 2008[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Microsoft OS[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Micosoft Print Servers[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Tivoli[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]McAffee security (patching)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]HP Blade Chassis[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]SQL, Oracle[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Active Directory[/FONT]
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Countryboi wrote: »
    they are going to at least want me to know what this stuff is.

Do you?

Just be honest with them. If you don't know how to do something then tell them straight up. You don't want your WAN to go down and they're expecting you to fix it in 2 minutes but you don't have a clue where to start. But since it is a Jr. position, you have the support of higher level staff.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    spartangtr wrote: »
    Wouldn't those questions be more for a jr systems administrator role? Don't mean to hijack this thread but what kind of job questions could you expect for a network support/jr network engineer role?

Not necessarily. My title is Network Administrator but I do more sysadmin than network stuff everyday. The network encompasses servers too, not just routers, switches, and firewalls.
    just a little follow up...i had the interview today i went very well and they didnt ask a single question about the stuff on the job description....just focusing on my customer service background and the technical stuff on my resume....go fig