Rip Off Boot Camps

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just saw a company offering to speed you through an A Plus in three days! and the cost £3000!!

No thank You I will not watse £3000 for an A Plus Cert I will study myself at home for cheaper buy my own cheap resources and ace the exam in 6 months of my own spare time

I cant believe them companys exist.

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    DoubleD wrote: »
    I cant believe them companys exist.

They will exist for as long as people believe that any cert will earn you 100k after passing it despite having no real world experience and cant answer any question that isn’t on the exam syllabus.

Sadly it's usually the desperate and low paid who sign up for these without realising there are better ways of learning and gaining experience.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's rough. To me these camps should be used only after you have studied on your own for a decent amount of time to have a proper understanding of what you are getting into. The camp should supplement the experience and information, not provide it brand new and allow you to pass a test.

You can't learn proper troublshooting in 3 days. You need to experience it.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think boot camps are great for some types of exams, the A+ is not one of those.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think boot camps are great for some types of exams, the A+ is not one of those.

Agreed there are some boot camps that are worthwhile and I would say even A+ could be of benefit to some, but not for that kinda cost!
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A+ is definitely not a bootcamp course. And definitely not worth that price.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Go buy an Exam Cram A+ book and if you can answer the questions at the end of each chapter then you are ready to take the test. Here's a hint, a lot of the questions you see in the book are in the test.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Agreed there are some boot camps that are worthwhile and I would say even A+ could be of benefit to some, but not for that kinda cost!

I got my A+ taking a PC Hardwae class in college. They used an A+ study guide for our text and our instructor allowed us to skip the final if we took and passed the A+ which only two of us myself included took him up on his challenge. First IT cert I ever earned.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I got my A+ taking a PC Hardwae class in college. They used an A+ study guide for our text and our instructor allowed us to skip the final if we took and passed the A+ which only two of us myself included took him up on his challenge. First IT cert I ever earned.

Perfect example icon_smile.gif How long did it take you?

My first cert was my CCNA through a local college via the networking accadmey. Took me 2 years as I followed the course to the letter. That was a long time ago now though and long before there were resources like this available.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Not sure how applicable it is to A+ in particular but a large number of these courses or boot camps aren't aimed at individuals. They're for companies to send their employees to and therefore tend to be expensive since they're not a personal purchase.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    tiersten wrote: »
    Not sure how applicable it is to A+ in particular but a large number of these courses or boot camps aren't aimed at individuals. They're for companies to send their employees to and therefore tend to be expensive since they're not a personal purchase.

and USUALLY includes hotel room and some combination of breakfast/lunch/snacks/drinks etc..... not that it justifies the outrageously high prices but if the company is paying......
    WIP: IPS exam
    and USUALLY includes hotel room and some combination of breakfast/lunch/snacks/drinks etc..... not that it justifies the outrageously high prices but if the company is paying......
    Go look into the price of the VMware VCP course :) You're paying thousands for 3 days online or in a room and you can't skip the course since it is a prereq for VCP. I got lunch from my fast track course but no hotel or anything else.
    tiersten wrote: »
    Go look into the price of the VMware VCP course :) You're paying thousands for 3 days online or in a room and you can't skip the course since it is a prereq for VCP. I got lunch from my fast track course but no hotel or anything else.

Yep it's one of the things thats stopping me taking the exam.

Can I ask who paid for your course?
    Can I ask who paid for your course?
    Work did. If I paid myself then I'd have done the basic I&C course and not the combined I&C + DSA course. This was back when 3.5 was the latest version.