Clearance?

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I had a secret clearance while in the Navy. I got retired (disability). I was recently filling out a job profile online and it gave the choices of none but also gave the choices of all the levels active or inactive. Should I list none or list it as inactive.
Is their a place to check to find this out, if I have an inactive clearance listed?
I just read where I had 24 months after leaving military to keep my clearance active, that's something the military failed to tell me when I got out.
http://govcentral.monster.com/security-clearance-jobs/articles/2327-dont-let-your-security-clearance-expire
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    I don't have any experience with this, however, I would venture to say that inactive would be the most accurate.

I really wish some of these companies would supply the ability to get a clearance / secret clearance. I've run accross several local jobs that require you to already have it, as opposed to offering to help someone get it. They also tend to be looking to fill the position(s) for an insane amount of time (in some cases over a year).
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have any experience with this, however, I would venture to say that inactive would be the most accurate.

I really wish some of these companies would supply the ability to get a clearance / secret clearance. I've run accross several local jobs that require you to already have it, as opposed to offering to help someone get it. They also tend to be looking to fill the position(s) for an insane amount of time (in some cases over a year).

The reason why most organizations want someone with clearance is that 1.) there are plenty of people with existing clearances and 2.) its expensive and time consuming to get someone their clearance.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got a reply back and it should be listed as inactive. I wish I had known that I hac a way to keep it active earlier.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□

It is how the companies keep their attrition lower. The easiest way is to join the military or get a low grade GS military support job. Neither pay well and you usually (always with the military) also owe some time to both to earn the clearance.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology