Lab for the new CCNP track

IPDirectIPDirect Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm getting started on the new CCNP track. I'd like to buy equipment that I can then use for my CCVP. This is my what I currently have:

2 x 1760 (128D/32F) routers
1 x 2651XM (128D/48F) router
2 x WIC-2T cards
2 x C2950-24 switches
1 x C3550-24PWR switch
Added: 1 x 2620XM (128D/48F) router

I just started purchasing last night, and I figured I'd post on here before I bought more stuff. Can you tell me what else I need?

Comments

• billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    IPDirect wrote: »
    I'm getting started on the new CCNP track. I'd like to buy equipment that I can then use for my CCVP. This is my what I currently have:

2 x 1760 (128D/32F) routers
    1 x 2651XM (128D/48F) router
    1 x WIC-2T card
    2 x C2950-24 switches
    1 x C3550-24PWR switch

I just started purchasing last night, and I figured I'd post on here before I bought more stuff. Can you tell me what else I need?

Definitely looks like good equipment that you can use for CCNP. Not quite sure what all is required of CCVP though since I haven't went down that road yet. To be honest you could do everything on CCNP through Dynamips or GNS3. But since you want the lab equipment for CCVP I can see the reason behind purchasing it. I bought some as well :P I eventually plan to add to it to build a CCIE lab, as well as CCVP possibly. I'll see where I end up icon_thumright.gif Only other thing I can see is maybe adding 1 more 26xx XM series router,and ensuring that you have the upgraded IOS if at all possible. Aside from that not much more I can think of. I definitely know that will get you through CCNP.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    recommended CCNP lab consists of 2 backbone routers, 1 frame relay switch, 4 pod routers for Routing. Switching would consist 2 2960s and 2 3550's or 3560s.

you can also go with GNS for many 90% of the routing topics. You will need a frame relay switch to do the frame relay topics with your routers. I am not sure if you can or cannot with GNS3, perform frame relay, which is why i state this. However you need to study switching with you will need your 3550 and 2960s.

here is a BSCI lap topology, note it was 2 pods! but thats is excessive to purchase, many people just go with the backbone routers, frame switch, and one pod side (4 routers). mplsv25.png

i am not sure if the new ROUTE exam has a different topology now.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • IPDirectIPDirect Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm, I'll grab a 2620XM and throw it in as a frame relay switch, and then use GNS3 for any other routers I need.

I currently have 2 2950's, these should work just fine rather than getting 2960s correct?
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    yeah 2950s are perfect, but make sure you get 3550s or 35560s for your L3 Switch needs too.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's a link to the TSHOOT topology... HTH

TSHOOT Topology
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Wow thanks, I heard people talking about looking over the topology for the TSHOOT, but had no idea where to find it.

Looks like I need a few more WIC's but otherwise my equipment should carry me through! I'll throw in GNS3 where needed, but Ive heard the learning curve to use the more adv stuff it is pretty steep, though I've never looked into personally so Im not even sure that's true.

Is it just me or is collecting equipment very addicting :)
    Is it just me or is collecting equipment very addicting :)

Just for you!!! icon_scratch.gif just kidding!! It is very addicting!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Here is my final list of equipment:

Routers:
    2651XM (128D/48F)
    2620XM (128D/48F)
    1760 (128D/32F)
    1760 (128D/32F)

Switches:
    C3550-24 PWR
    C3550-24
    C2950-24
    C2950-24

I may still grab another router as a frame relay switch....Any recommendations?

I may still grab another router as a frame relay switch....Any recommendations?

I would suggest another 26xxXM for the frame relay switch. You may be able to get away with a non XM model of the 2600 series, but the 26xxXM series aren't too pricey right now. Outside of that... I think you have enough. Don't forget to get cables, WICs, Modules, etc... good luck!

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker